jepperi

Is an ATV4 app ever going to be released?

4 hours ago, Mikyesun said:

thank for you personal opinion, we appreciate any feedback, we are just in the beginning, stay tuned.

@Mikyesun

I always post (no matter where) my personal opinion as a private person. I hope messages from you and your collegues reflect company standpoint and not your personal view.

I would rather have ead some explanation why a company is working on a tvOS app for over a year and then builds something that is not even close to what people expect. Also because a Netstream app was already available on tvOS.

Moreover, a company (Livezapp) had long been able to prduce something resembling the IOS app without any of the inside expertise that you have.

I like to bring picture below to your attention. It reflects what is happening at Geniatech.

tree-swing-s-hogh.thumb.jpg.10a9fbcf0fc515c8528e65111d1f4307.jpg

1 hour ago, Ton said:

@Mikyesun

I always post (no matter where) my personal opinion as a private person. I hope messages from you and your collegues reflect company standpoint and not your personal view.

I would rather have ead some explanation why a company is working on a tvOS app for over a year and then builds something that is not even close to what people expect. Also because a Netstream app was already available on tvOS.

Moreover, a company (Livezapp) had long been able to prduce something resembling the IOS app without any of the inside expertise that you have.

I like to bring picture below to your attention. It reflects what is happening at Geniatech.

tree-swing-s-hogh.thumb.jpg.10a9fbcf0fc515c8528e65111d1f4307.jpg

The Netstream app only worked with the old generation of Netstream hardware. Since you have a Netstream 4c, I guess the new app will be of use to you as well. :)
All the apps already out there only worked with the old hardware (.m3u). Livezapp is unusable with Netstream 4c. Or did i miss something?

This new app definitely brings something new to the table. 4c support without the use of a computer.
Is it because it doesn't play recordings you are disappointed?
Isn't the main purpose that it plays live tv directly from your Apple TV?

2 hours ago, Vixual said:

The Netstream app only worked with the old generation of Netstream hardware. Since you have a Netstream 4c, I guess the new app will be of use to you as well. :)

If that is true, and all the numerous existing Netstream apps only work with the old hardware, then I take back my previous comment about this app being worthless, and apologize for it - the app apparently fills a small niche for some users, and as such isn't totally worthless. So again, my apologies for calling the app worthless.

2 hours ago, Vixual said:

Is it because it doesn't play recordings you are disappointed?
Isn't the main purpose that it plays live tv directly from your Apple TV?

No, that is not the main purpose at all. This is an EyeTV forum. The category this thread is posted in is "EyeTV tvOS app". The comments we have been getting, starting in the second post, say "The EyeTV application for AppleTV 4 is coming soon". EyeTV is DVR software that runs on your computer and makes recordings. The already existing EyeTV app for iOS - which they could have EASILY ported to AppleTV in just a short time (the code base is virtually the same) - worked with EyeTV and allowed you to "Playback your EyeTV recordings, Browse the Electronic program guide, start recordings back home on your Mac immediately or schedule them to record later, view and edit your recording schedules in the recording list", etc. As such, I don't think it is the slightest bit unreasonable that people were expecting an EyeTV app that worked with EyeTV to playback those recordings, schedule future recordings, etc. What we got was not an EyeTV app in any way, but a Netstream app. Thus the disappointment and frustration. NO ONE in this thread (and I'm pretty sure I've read the whole thing, my apologies again if I missed a post or two) asked for a Netstream app - yet that's all we got. So yes, I for one am quite disappointed and frustrated. For what it's worth, I can at least playback recordings using the RemoteBuddy approach, it's just extremely kludgy. Oh well, I guess I continue waiting for another year or two.

• Like 1

Besides. How many Netstreams will have been sold? It is a device that solely runs on a Ma using Geniatech software and nowhere else and also only since a very short while can be used with all of its 4 tuners.

Most (>90%, >99%) people have either HDHR's or Hybrids and other USB-type devices. That's where the bulk comes from and that are the people now waiting 1+ year for a simple port.

And they want to play their recordings on a aTV4

very good and interesting discussion - remember we talking about for free service // tvOS App, and we just started on this - main topic is to stream from your mac, recorded content and live tv, like the eyetv iOS APP, it will come - its noted -  again stay tuned. and please give us a break and stay fair - things takes time - and sorry - we will not comment on other developers APPs - even we know them and their work they have done.

#Ton - if I remember correct - you are in the Netherlands, correct? but it does not matter, I here be invite you to discuss with us your sharing and your expertise of the market here at EMEA HQ, we cover all expenses, and sure we live stream this discussion, when will it work for you the best?

A great idea to invite Ton to visit and explain the user needs. I recommend that you have an EyeTV system set up already so he/she can demonstrate EyeTV for iOS - a Mac running the EyeTV app with a USB tuner and an iPad on the same network with EyeTV for iOS.IMG_0931.thumb.PNG.63a3e2c76ded1e385714eb0437165686.PNG

14 hours ago, Mikyesun said:

very good and interesting discussion - remember we talking about for free service // tvOS App, and we just started on this - main topic is to stream from your mac, recorded content and live tv, like the eyetv iOS APP, it will come - its noted -  again stay tuned. and please give us a break and stay fair - things takes time - and sorry - we will not comment on other developers APPs - even we know them and their work they have done.

#Ton - if I remember correct - you are in the Netherlands, correct? but it does not matter, I here be invite you to discuss with us your sharing and your expertise of the market here at EMEA HQ, we cover all expenses, and sure we live stream this discussion, when will it work for you the best?

@Mikyesun

"very good and interesting discussion ........."

You really mean that? Please do not tell me that up to now you (or others at Geniatech) know that your users expect a aTV4 app similar/identical/ported to the iPad app. Which in my opinion indeed should be free since it is an addon to EyeTV 3 (which is not rather cheap).

"#Ton - if I remember ....."

Correct, I do live in the Netherlands and about 2,5 hours driving from Herzogenrath. Setting a date is a bit more complex because of my handicap. I suggest using email for this.

However, I do not think a visit in person is necessary. Better would me (my opinion) a virtual meeting using products like Webex where several people can participate at the same time. It is clear that many here have the same idea like @Mpainesyd, @ibrewster, @toyotakurtis and certainly many others here.

Simply take your own webpage (http://bit.ly/2pY3lRJ) and add the word aTV4 to "EyeTV on your iPhone & iPad & aTV4". A simple port for starters is all that we ask. Later there can be (visual and other) improvements. That's all we ask of you and I believe a programmer can port it within 1 month. The iPad version is the base to use. Alternative fast solution is buying Livezap and using that as a base.

But as stated, I do not mind to visit in person.

2 hours ago, Ton said:

@Mikyesun

"very good and interesting discussion ........."

You really mean that? Please do not tell me that up to now you (or others at Geniatech) know that your users expect a aTV4 app similar/identical/ported to the iPad app. Which in my opinion indeed should be free since it is an addon to EyeTV 3 (which is not rather cheap).

"#Ton - if I remember ....."

Correct, I do live in the Netherlands and about 2,5 hours driving from Herzogenrath. Setting a date is a bit more complex because of my handicap. I suggest using email for this.

However, I do not think a visit in person is necessary. Better would me (my opinion) a virtual meeting using products like Webex where several people can participate at the same time. It is clear that many here have the same idea like @Mpainesyd, @ibrewster, @toyotakurtis and certainly many others here.

Simply take your own webpage (http://bit.ly/2pY3lRJ) and add the word aTV4 to "EyeTV on your iPhone & iPad & aTV4". A simple port for starters is all that we ask. Later there can be (visual and other) improvements. That's all we ask of you and I believe a programmer can port it within 1 month. The iPad version is the base to use. Alternative fast solution is buying Livezap and using that as a base.

But as stated, I do not mind to visit in person.

@Ton - I mean this serious, sure I understand - we can also use one of the collaboration platforms you propose, I will setup for next week, and I will post here.

First of all we should agree on a level of respectful language here, second the eyetv Netstream TV App is for our netstream devices and it is part of our netstream platform strategy. I understand that it does not meet your expectation and wishes for accessing the eyetv 3 / mac platform, but again that was also not the purpose of this release. Following this you asked to port just a iOS APP "Eyetv" to tvOS, sorry - is not a 4 weeks job, we always here this, this is not possible from our experience, you need at least 4 weeks for QC / Pilot etc.., please be more realistic, and we will not buy Livezap. We do understand and listen to this before, and as told stay tuned we considering / working on such solution, but this may a different environment, and may be also accessible in a different way and will be not mixed with the netstream tvOS APP.  

On the other side, just sharing our thoughts and customers feedback, a lot of customers do not like to have always their Mac/iMac running, most due to cost reason, and stream from their Mac, only 2-3% using this EyeConnect - Function Eyetv APP on iOS for certain purpose, e.g. using this when travelling, more mobil approach, the question is how to improve this, does a tvOS eyetv APP help? we know there are many Users out there with eyetv 3, and the market trends goes to mobil and cloud access in volume? agree? would it not better to go in such direction, e.g. to mirror your tuners / recordings to the cloud?

Lets keep on, we want to listen and discuss, I will come back with a open conference call bridge for next week, with 3 schedule options, for you to select and agree.

• Like 1

After following this thread for quite some time I think that the release of the EyeTV software for AppleTV is a long awaited good moment.

Why do I say so, though most of the guys commenting here seem to be disappointed?

I was quite doubtful whether an ATV software from Geniatech might appear at all, but after seeing some screenshots here i got laid-back. Well, it took some time. It was hard to be patient.

Since the release of ATV 4 and understanding its capabilities I dreamt of a solution for using my existing Netstream 4C (that I use for recording, converting and storing TV shows on the Mac) for Live TV on the ATV as well. Four receivers in a row, now all at work.

All other suggested solutions did not work or only with a very poor picture quality. And were very poorly documented and supported. And I tried some. Might be, that Netstream 4S users experienced other and better things.

Now, and that is the best of it, it is possible to use the now multifunctional Netstream for use with Mac and AppleTV. So, for the big screen I just need to connect ATV to a TV and have live TV and whatever other apps may allow. No delayed streaming necessary, where my Apple Watch informed me about sports results before I could see them in the "live" broadcast. No HDMI switching between ATV and a receiver, just between apps. And no audio switching at the amplifier. With Netstream somewhere in the infrastructure, sure. Plus the HD image quality that Netstream already allowed on the Mac. Great!

So for me it is a fine day. Recordings can be made via Mac w/EyeTV (and programmed on the iPad, for those who don’t want to leave the sofa), converted and made available for ATV. Just like before. That’s not too convenient, but taping TV never was easier and consistently digital than today.

Sure, all Mac EyeTV functions might be nice but since ATV is no Mac – e.g. it has no disks – how could that be done?

Since some of Geniatech are active in here: good job!

I can see it is still a version 1:
Why is a channel search so long?
The second channel search finds more channels and deletes the previous channel editing.
Channel grouping is not available.
No documentation or overview on handling.
Usage concept with sliding from left, right, up, down seems convincing, but why no switching to previous and next channel function (or did I not find it?). Zattoo had a good idea for that.
At the first look program information seems to load very slowly or not more than 1-3 h ahead.

@Geniatech: carry on with the good work, thumbs up from me.

bmey

3 minutes ago, bmey said:

...Recordings can be made via Mac w/EyeTV (and programmed on the iPad, for those who don’t want to leave the sofa), converted and made available for ATV...

How???? That's really the main thing *I* wanted an EyeTV app for - to be able to watch EyeTV recordings on my AppleTV. At the moment the only options I'm aware of are a) piece-of-junk apps like the (not Geniatech) Netstream TV app (not to be confused with this app), which only works for about 75% of recordings, can't rewind, can't delete, etc. Or a "remote control" option which is really kludgy in my case since I have dual monitors on my computer. If I could set up a script that somehow "exported" the recordings to make them available for the ATV, I'd be perfectly happy with that, and then Geniatech could take a couple of years developing a *real* EyeTV app for the ATV without complaint from me.

I do it this way:

Recording / editing / converting with EyeTV on the Mac.

Storing / organizing / playback with a Synology. They have a video software for these purposes that runs on the net drive and can be handled on the Mac in a browser. For playback they have apps for iOS and Apple TV. Works great.

There might be other ways, but for me this is the best, as the Synology (or some other net drive) is the best way to store big amounts of data anyway. If you store TV shows you will need something like it. And because the Synology has its own processor, the Mac does not need to run for playback.

Edited by bmey

2 hours ago, bmey said:

Sure, all Mac EyeTV functions might be nice but since ATV is no Mac – e.g. it has no disks – how could that be done?

Very, very, easy. Simply the same way that you can use the EyeTV app on iPhone/iPad to record, schedule, watch recorded programs. It connects with the EyeTV app on the Mac. Exactly the same way as similar apps running on either a NAS, Mac, PC are doing it.

And yes the Mac has to be turned on. So what? Many people leave it on 24/24 and 7/7. No big deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ton said:

Very, very, easy. Simply the same way that you can use the EyeTV app on iPhone/iPad to record, schedule, watch recorded programs. It connects with the EyeTV app on the Mac. Exactly the same way as similar apps running on either a NAS, Mac, PC are doing it.

And yes the Mac has to be turned on. So what? Many people leave it on 24/24 and 7/7. No big deal.

When I see what is happening under iOS there are two apps from Geniatech. One for just acessing Netstream and the other for kind of remote of EyeTV running on a Mac. That would make sense under tvOS for me as well, if at all.

The need of a running Mac is not attractive for me. Response times are bad. And it is kind of a big machine running Netstream, Mac and Apple TV just to watch live TV. You might use Airplay right now (from Mac or iPad) instead to get most of what you described. I think there also already is a Mac app for remoting and Airplay in combination.

3 minutes ago, bmey said:

When I see what is happening under iOS there are two apps from Geniatech. One for just acessing Netstream and the other for kind of remote of EyeTV running on a Mac. That would make sense under tvOS for me as well, if at all.

Sounds good to me. This thread was all about the "kind of remote of EyeTV" app. No one in this thread (as far as I am aware), certainly no one who is complaining about the app here, was looking for or asking about an app for accessing Netstream.

5 minutes ago, bmey said:

The need of a running Mac is not attractive for me. Response times are bad. And it is kind of a big machine running Netstream, Mac and Apple TV just to watch live TV.

I'd agree with that regarding LiveTV. I certainly wouldn't want to stream Live TV from my network tuner, to my mac, and then over to my TV either. If Live TV from your network tuner is all you want, and you have a newer Netstream device, then this application is perfect for you, will probably do exactly what you want, and quite possibly even do it quite well. Certainly the ability to pause said live TV will be a boon. Again, though, that's explicitly NOT what this thread was about, at least to my understanding.

And therein lies the issue, and source of my frustration at least, as I said before: In this thread we were *repeatedly* told that an EyeTV app was "coming soon", but what we got was not an EyeTV app at all, but a netstream app. It could be a very good app for what it does, and from what I am hearing even an essential app for what it does, but it is most emphatically not what the people in this thread were waiting for, and what we thought we were being told would be "coming soon". Then, to make things worse, is the fact they *already have* an app that does everything we want - all they have to do is port it over to the AppleTV - hardly a difficult task. @Ton says one month, they say no way. If they'd be willing to give me the code for the iOS app (yeah, right, like that'd happen), I'd be glad to prove who's right :D. Add to all that the frustration of being repeatedly told "soon" and "next month" and "end of this month" and the like for nearly a full year, interspersed with periods of silence as the previous promised deadline came and went, and hopefully you can understand why people are frustrated.

It's not that it's a bad app, it's that after many delays and lack of communication, the result doesn't do anything that was asked for/expected.

I think it is very clear that the function we expected of the EyeTV app for ATV is to have at least the same abilities as the EyeTV iPad app. 

Please know our disappointment is not at the add feature the the Netstream app brings for Netstream owners. If I owned the Netstream device I would be happy for any additional access. 

As far as the issue of my Mac running. Unless the power is out the little Mac Mini is running 24/7 and it will keep running until it dies. All my media is handled by the Mac Mini with a external mulidrive storage. EyeTV allows me to record and watch whenever I choose so long as my Mac Mini is running. The iOS apps for both iPhone and iPad work very well and AirPlay or Mirroring is okay but direct access between ATV and your Mac would be best. 

The issue of porting the EyeTV iPad to the ATV is subjective but several of us have volunteered to put in the work.  I appreciate if Geniatech will commit to at least porting the iPad EyeTV to ATV. Also as several of us are so involved in this discussion please let us beta test. Beta testing goes so far with goodwill towards your most active customers. I will even commit to add a Netstream device to my home network as long as it will work with over the air antenna here in the US. 

And the last issue to address is local verse cloud storage of recordings. Please do not move to cloud based storage or if you do let that just be an option.  Local storage of recordings allows cutting commercials, archiving and streaming over the home network or web. 

I stand by my earlier statement, EyeTV is still the best DVR program for Mac. 

If I am invited to a live meeting to talk about features I will make myself available. Seeing as you guys are in the Netherlands this meeting just be during my bedtime but I can just put on a extra strong pot of coffee. 

Thank you

• Like 1

A bit of duplication from the above posts but it is worth summarising the situation...

The big difference, as far as I can tell, it that Netstream 4C uses broadband internet for streaming Cable TV (which needs a subscription?) whereas EyeTV running on a Mac uses TV tuner - free-to-air and no need for  internet.

We don't have a conventional TV in our house. I have been using a Mac with EyeTV for many years. I can play live TV and EyeTV recordings to my projector from the Mac but need to switch the projector input to play other media from the ATV4.

I have tried using  airplay on an iPad running EyeTV for iOS to watch the show on the projector (via ATV4) but the quality is poor (it goes through 2 on-the-fly conversions and wifi streams). However, watching EyeTV live/recordings directly on the iPad works very well. That is all that I want from a TVOS app.

Edited by Mpainesyd

There is an additional advantage to a ported IOS->aTV4 app and that is because EyeTV is capable of working with a broad range of tuners and not limited to Netstream only. So a ported app means that very many users can watch (and schedule) their recordings on the aTV4.

Another fact to stress is that there are very many apps that enable to watch live TV on the aTV4. The fact that these do not work with Netstream (but all do work with standard IP tuners) is the fact that Netstream uses a proprietary protocol. A secondary minus of this proprietary protocol is that only Geniatech software will work and no other software (even not the widely available TVHeadend, DVBlink).

Also I like to stipulate a small but important fact. Some here are the opinion that Geniatech does not need to support devices like HDHR. I like to point to the fact that Elgato has been selling for many years the HDHR rebadged with only their name on it. This fact alone obliges Geniatech to keep supporting HDHR to full extend. Same as with all other 3-rd party (IP & USB) hardware that EyeTV has been working with and whose owners paid a whopping € 76,= to buy EyeTV.

11 hours ago, Ton said:

Another fact to stress is that there are very many apps that enable to watch live TV on the aTV4. The fact that these do not work with Netstream (but all do work with standard IP tuners) is the fact that Netstream uses a proprietary protocol. A secondary minus of this proprietary protocol is that only Geniatech software will work and no other software (even not the widely available TVHeadend, DVBlink).

you dont know what you are talking about. if it is "proprietary protocol" why does it works and i can use my netstream 4s' (both the old and the new version) with a lot of variety of apps? And dont forget that they are listed at Astra SES s site? You are just talking b***s***. if it doesnt work on atv4 it doesnt mean that it is a "proprietary protocol" it means that those apps are crippled or restricted apps. just get rid of your atv 4. you should maybe try with a NvidiaShield Android TV . i do even watch UHD without any problem.  on my OnePlus One, my Nvidia Shield tv, my ipad, on all my computers both PC and Mac works perfectly with netstream devices. And NO, i dont even use official apps! i do use official app just for changing LNB settigns on netstream devices.

Edited by fissionbomb

@fissionbomb

I suggestie that you look up the meaning of the word proprietary before you call tthings 'bullshit'.

Fact is that only 1 single app on the Mac is able to use the Netstream reason is that the Netstream uses protocol only know to Geniatech and does not work with default drivers.

it is not that other apps (Mac or aTV) are crippled. Also there is more on this world than Satellite TV. There is 'over the air' and 'cable'. Also programs that I refer to are running on Mac not on aTV. 

You clearly have a dislike of the aTV. Fine for you but this is primarily a Thread about the aTV and what Mac users expect from Geniatech !

On 22/04/2017 at 10:27 PM, Ton said:

@fissionbomb

Fact is that only 1 single app on the Mac is able to use the Netstream reason is that the Netstream uses protocol only know to Geniatech and does not work with default drivers.

it is not that other apps (Mac or aTV) are crippled. Also there is more on this world than Satellite TV. There is 'over the air' and 'cable'. Also programs that I refer to are running on Mac not on aTV. 

You clearly have a dislike of the aTV. Fine for you but this is primarily a Thread about the aTV and what Mac users expect from Geniatech !

no no you really dont knw what you are talking about. 
“Fact is that only 1 single app on the Mac is able to use the Netstream reason is that the Netstream uses protocol only know to Geniatech and does not work with default drivers.”

i use, DVBlink ( oh yes DVBlink what a wonderfull app) DVBViewers mac application called  “Sat>IP viewer” and Eyetv 3. Lets count now - 1, 2 ,3 wow 3 different apps i do use regularly on my Mac computers on Mac OS WITH Netstream devices :)

PC side? there are a lot of variety apps on PC side i use them also regularly with BootCamp on my Mac computers.

atv4 is ok but not suitable for me, not a perfect device under Apples restricted world and strict rules...

PS: By the way i work with IT, media and communication at a media company. and i am also a developer ;) and working with ios and learning Android. i can a lot about satellites, tv and radio communication. 

Edited by fissionbomb

I own (among other brands/types) both the Netstream 4C and HDHR3-4DC. The HDHR is recognized and functions with EyeTV & DVBlink & TVHeadend. The Netstream 4C functions only with EyeTV and not DVBlink. According to the people of DVBlogic the Netstreams uses a different protocol and does not use the regular DVB-C drivers.

Edited by Ton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ton said:

I own (among other brands/types) both the Netstream 4C and HDHR3-4DC. The HDHR is recognized and functions with EyeTV & DVBlink & TVHeadend. The Netstream 4C functions only with EyeTV and not DVBlink. According to the people of DVBlogic the Netstreams uses a different protocol and does not use the regular DVB-C drivers.

i experimented a lot with sat>ip standart, with minisatip  https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip installed raspberry pi and on these standarts -> dvc-c , dvb-c2, t and t2

Can you please try SAT>IP Viewer, i can send the application to you. i would like to see how SAT>IP Viewer reacts on your netstream 4C. please contact me with a direct message

to all: sorry for some delay due to traveling - I would propose 3 schedules for next week "call in" conference call with the topic:

Top 1: eyetv 3 /mac and ATV 4

Option 1: monday 1th may 4pm or 7pm

Option 2: tuesday 2th may 7pm

Option 3: wednesday 3th may  7pm

Please let us know when it works for you gentlemen - we will fix the day / time by saturday night.

thanks in advanced.

Mike

• Like 1