jepperi

Is an ATV4 app ever going to be released?

On 10/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, Mpainesyd said:

I now have an HDHomeRun tuner installed on my network and DVBServer installed on a Mac (still in trial period). It seems to work well with the ATV DVBLink app although the user-interface is very clunky.

Bye-bye EyeTV, after many years!

I have come across a frustrating problem - the IP address of the DVBLink Server changes and I need to add a "new" server to the list on Apple TV every few days. I have searched for a solution/reason but have not been successful. I realise it is off-topic for an EyeTV forum but if anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. Is the IP address from the iMac where DVDLink server is running or is it the HDHomeRun device?

Both (iMac & HDHR) should get their IP-address from a DHCP-server which is usually located in your modem/router. Most will provide always the same IP. If not (apparently your case) then you should tell the DHCP-server to assign fixed IP-addresses. How, depends on brand router.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:46 PM, Ton said:

Both (iMac & HDHR) should get their IP-address from a DHCP-server which is usually located in your modem/router. Most will provide always the same IP. If not (apparently your case) then you should tell the DHCP-server to assign fixed IP-addresses. How, depends on brand router.

Couldn't solve the IP-address problem with my media iMac so I moved the server software to another iMac (with excellent assistance from DVBLogic support) and all is well.

I still prefer the EyeTV ios app and hope it will be ported to TVos but at least I can now watch live TV on my (misnamed) Apple TV.

DVBlink has one big fail and that is scheduling. This is too primitive and my only reason to also use EyeTV. For Win users there is a good solution in the from of an addon.

Any progress with the tvOS app. Tried using it again after a few months and still I see pixelation only on the Apple TV but not on any other device (imac, macbook, iphone and ipad). As far as I can see the app has never been updated. Could Geniatech please give some information on what their intentions are. It can't be that difficult to build an app considering they already exist for other for iOS devices.

Finally bit the bullet and purchased Channels for tvOS to watch live TV on my Apple TV. This works with the HDHomeRun tuner that I needed for DVBLInk but runs directly on the ATV instead of needing server software on a Mac. The user interface is good and the video and audio quality are excellent (happy that lipsync is good when playing to stereo Homepods).

I am not using the Channels DVR service as I still run EyeTV on a Mac for recording (but have to convert it for use with the tvOS Computers app) 

BTW - EyeTV is 32bit and so won't run on the next macOS after Mojave.

I have just purchased a HDHome run connect 4 channel tuner in Australia and am running the PLEX DVR service.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. They have also (as of today) implemented a grid view for the TV Guide.  It integrates with a local EPG provider (XMLTV although it has its own) and the recording options are quite good.  It saves the files in a TS file which is either MPEG or MP4 in Australia so it is pretty easy to trim in Wondershare Video Converter.  I still have a soft spot for EyeTV but Ill continue until such time as the existing software stops work (it is less reliable when their are multiple simultaneous records needed to be done) or a new version arises (if ever).  I don't need to watch live TV remotely.

Bizarre decision of EyeTV to stop supporting the HDHomerun tuners as they don't have an alternative product themselves in Australia.