Mark

Hardware/Software wish list

Hardware

Restart manufacture of eyetv HD for US market.

Manufacture an improved eyetv HD for US market that has an HDMI input interface

Software

Improve EyeTV 3 software by adding the ability to merge two clips

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark said:

Hardware

Software

Thank you for your suggestions.

EyeTV Products for US market will come very soon, but we don't manufacture EyeTV HD anymore. For cable TV and satellite we have EyeTV Netstream 4Sat, 4C now(for DVB standard in europe)  and 4A later(for ATSC standard in US).

• Like 1

For the wish list:

Hardware:   a multi-tuner, USA Cablecard-compatible device, and/or

Software:  support for the SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME Cable HDTV device.

Hardware:

A new EyeTV Netstream "4T2" (or similar name, with the same form factor as the 4Sat and 4C) device, as a successor to the sadly discontinued Netstream DTT, and possibly with 4 tuners instead of only 2: for the sharing of DVB-T2 and DVB-T television over the home network.

Edited by Sven
  • Like 2

... And of course also with DVB-T2 HD HEVC support: in other words, essentially, the network and multi-tuner version of the new EyeTV T2...

Edited by Sven
  • Like 1

+1 for a DVB-T2 Netstream Box

I would also be glad about a DVB-T2 receiver with HD+ support. If possible in the Netstream or another (direct attached) stick or box.

Hardware

• HD+ compatibility for DVB-C (cable), DVB-S (sat) and DVB-T2 products (CI+ slot and software support)
    (There is a legacy product – EyeTV 610 – which had a CI slot. CI+ is needed nowadays.)

Software

• full 64-bit applications with the ability to use larger memory buffers
  • built the features of Turbo.264 into EyeTV (users have powerful CPUs today) or possibility of a Handbrake integration (for the more sophisticated tasks)

1) keep the minimum system/OS specs low. Old mac minis are cheap. I use one as the headless server to capture TV. I don't foresee ever wanting to spend money on a current mac to act as a capture computer. (FWIW, I use a 2ghz core2duo mac mini with OS 10.6.8 It works GREAT!)

2) Easy one, and VERY VERY helpful: can you change your saved file names from "Bones - The Donor in the Drink.eyetv" to "Bones - S11E03 - The Donor in the Drink.eyetv" or alternatively show the season and episode info in the "edit info" box? I save all my TV to an Unraid server (I'm a data hoarder) and this would make life a lot easier.

3) TV Channels around here are getting stupid about time scheduling. Can EyeTV treat 8:01 the same as 8:00 for scheduling purposes. It's annoying to miss a more important show because the network started it a minute late and EyeTV chose the lesser important show because it started on a minute earlier. 

4) Compacting files: Can we queue these without starting the queue? Like I said, I save TV long term, so I edit out stuff. I then have to wait 2-5 minutes per show while the computer is unusable while it compacts the video file. If it could queue it up so I could do a bunch of tv episodes quickly, then compact while I'm off doing other things, that would be great! 

5) There’s a bug that occasionally causes EyeTV to shuffle (semi-alphabetically) the order of the smartguides. This repriortises what shows get recorded during scheduling conflicts and is unacceptable. 

6) Make season passes have the abiliuty to eliminate the season of a show to be recorded. I don’t want "MyFavoriteShow (season 5)", I want every episode of MyFavoriteShow that’s being broadcast. 

7) Finally, and I mean this in only the nicest possible way: Ditch your software mp4 compressor and tie into Handbrake's CLI. It's not even a close race in terms of speed, quality, or final file size. They've got you beat hands down.
  • Like 1

It is really a must that EyeTV support the present HDHR devices (4 decoders) and remove the present restriction that only 2 can be used.

HDHR3-4DC (aka HDHomeRun Expand) is the most widely sold device in Europe. And it works for 100% with DVBlink, TVHeadend and others. Only EyeTV has this really

Abnormal restriction. The (present!) software is easily capable of it, only needs deleting a handful lines of code.

EyeTV on macmini with Netstream 4Sat

1. Getting EPG Data should be possible anytime as long as there is an availabe tuner. Also I'd really like to see a custom setting where I can set up an EPG run every xx minutes.  Right now EITHER I record or watch a program live OR I get EPG Data. Gracenote OTOH  is no use to me as their EPG info is too general. 

2. Also please finally fix that irritating bug that lets playback of a recording program pause when the timer end time is reached.  

3. Automatic Search for Timers (just like in VDR) would be lovely.  You enter a few key words and every program with those words showing up in the EPG and/or title is automatically set up as a timer.   The best feature ever. Of course you also record a lot of stuff you didn't want, but you can always delete, right !?!   

4. tvOS App would be just lovely. As a Sat2IP solution for the Home Theatre, Gym room, living room, whatever.  

Off the top of my head:

1) Silicon Dust Prime support (even if it can't support DRM'd channels) and all their new tuners

2) Automatic file conversion in full 1080p/1080i with 5.1 audio in-tact.

3) The ability to export/convert to one file that plays on all iOS devices (with stereo and 5.1 channel audio)

4) Tag the raw mpeg 2 files with the correct meta data

5) Add the ability to automatically fetch over the air EPG data and schedule recordings by name without a TV guide subscription

6) tvOS app

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 9:30 AM, tgibriday said:

1) keep the minimum system/OS specs low. Old mac minis are cheap. I use one as the headless server to capture TV. I don't foresee ever wanting to spend money on a current mac to act as a capture computer. (FWIW, I use a 2ghz core2duo mac mini with OS 10.6.8 It works GREAT!)

2) Easy one, and VERY VERY helpful: can you change your saved file names from "Bones - The Donor in the Drink.eyetv" to "Bones - S11E03 - The Donor in the Drink.eyetv" or alternatively show the season and episode info in the "edit info" box? I save all my TV to an Unraid server (I'm a data hoarder) and this would make life a lot easier.

4) Compacting files: Can we queue these without starting the queue? Like I said, I save TV long term, so I edit out stuff. I then have to wait 2-5 minutes per show while the computer is unusable while it compacts the video file. If it could queue it up so I could do a bunch of tv episodes quickly, then compact while I'm off doing other things, that would be great!

7) Finally, and I mean this in only the nicest possible way: Ditch your software mp4 compressor and tie into Handbrake's CLI. It's not even a close race in terms of speed, quality, or final file size. They've got you beat hands down.

(Is there a way to insert responses inline in a block quote??)

1) yes, EyeTV is a perfect app for an old computer to sit in a corner and run.  Perhaps a Snow Leopard compatible ESR release?  It might not be able to do everything a current Mac could do, but it would be fine for capturing and watching programs.  I'd be willing to pay a modest premium for that.   Same for an IOS app, so I can give that old 4th Gen iPod Touch some further life.  (I'm tired of the rapidly accumulating eTrash due to death by version incompatibility.)

2) perhaps an advanced pref?

4) Option to suspend compression for some period of time?  I want it to resume compressing overnight so I suspend for 4 hours...

7) Any improvement would be welcome.  I snagged an Elgato turbo.264 HD stick and like it.  While the compression timing is not much different than using the CPU of the my Mini, the beauty is that the Mini CPUs aren't doing the work.  Perhaps another hardware device can be attempted?   The business about having to compress before sending to an IOS device is a pain.  I can watch it live but not a recording?  Well, then send the raw video if compressed isn't ready.  Or stream the compressed video as it is generated.

Edited by rbgray

On 6/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, Mark said:

Hardware

Software

HDMI would be nice but I think DMCA and lobbyist bribesXXXXXX contributions to Congress will make this infeasible in the US.

Reliable capture at 1080p (currently max at 1080i or 720p AFAIK) would be a great upgrade; 4K not needed (by me). De-interlacing 1080i in Handbrake takes ~30% longer on my Core i7 iMac and I capture 95% of my stuff at 1080.

Restarting EyeTV HD mfg would be very nice as mine is > 3years old and may be getting a bit flakey. When the current one goes, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Joining clips would also be very useful for my needs.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:59 PM, Sven said:

Hardware:

A new EyeTV Netstream "4T2" (or similar name, with the same form factor as the 4Sat and 4C) device, as a successor to the sadly discontinued Netstream DTT, and possibly with 4 tuners instead of only 2: for the sharing of DVB-T2 and DVB-T television over the home network.

I support your idea. Include the possibility of attaching a USB-C/USB 3 pen drive or hard disk and network share/NAS support so recordings go to any of those options and include an AppleTV 4 app to watch, time shift and schedule recordings. on the attached USB storage or network share. 4 Tunners/decoders is a must.

• Like 1

Extend the AppleScript dictionary to provide:

1. a method to call the Update DVB Guide function (there is already an Update Guide method, but that is only capable of updating the commercial guide(s) such as Gracenote). The DVB over the air information is not accessible via AppleScript directly.
  2. a method to call the Apply Default Sort Order to the channel list