jelockwood

EyeTV problems with HDHomeRun tuners

Elgato used to I believe resell a version of the SiliconDust network DVB-T tuner. Recently I bought a HDHR4-2DT model SiliconDust tuner as the only way to get DVB-T2 on a Mac since for years Elgato had failed to release any DVB-T2 tuners.

Update I see Geniatech now list a USB DVB-T2 tuner but still do not have a network DVB-T2 tuner.

The EyeTV software does sill support HDHomeRun tuners and I can successfully get EyeTV to find it and can also get it to successfully get EyeTV to scan for channels, and also to view both DVB-T standard definition channels and DVB-T2 high definition channels. Unfortunately I am finding three old bugs specific to using a HDHomeRun tuner with EyeTV still exist. I first encountered these bugs with an older HDHR3-DT model which is DVB-T only.

With the recent discontinuation of the previously free RadioTimes XMLTV guide source on June 16th 2016 these bugs have now become more critical as I now have to use the DVB guide instead. I have reported these issues to Geniatech a week ago but as of yet still had no response.

I am using the latest 20150826 firmware and software for the HDHomeRun.

Bug 1

When I tell EyeTV 3.6.9 build 7416 to use the DVB guide data for channels and to then scan for DVB guide data it will initially start off successfully scanning but part way through will stop finding guide data with the result at the end of the scan only some of the channels will show guide data. I have proven that all the channels do have DVB guide data available by doing the same thing in Windows using the exact same HDHomeRun tuner and this finds DVB guide data for all channels with no problems, and also a real TV fitted with its own DVB-T/T2 tuner is also able to get DVB guide data for all channels. More importantly I can even successfully get DVB guide data for all channels in EyeTV if I tune in to an view individual channels for a few minutes - long enough for EyeTV to extract DVB guide data automatically from that channels/multiplex. If I do this for all the channels missed out during the full scan I can get a full set of DVB guide data for all channels but obviously this is extremely tedious and time consuming and should not be necessary. It seems the failure of the full scan for DVB guide data fails at the same point each time and this seems to be when EyeTV switches from scanning one channel or multiplex to another. However remember it is possible to get DVB guide data for all channels by manually tuning in to and viewing them so it is not as simple as a specific channel causing EyeTV to choke.

Bug 2

Once EyeTV has been told to do a full DVB guide data update and it as per bug 1 fails part way through, a subsequent DVB Guide update request will fail straight away as will a 3rd, 4th, etc. It is only possible to then get even a partial scan to work by quitting and relaunching EyeTV.

Note: This would further support the case that it is not simply EyeTV choking on the results of a DVB guide scan from a specific channel since a repeat request starts from the first channel which on the 1st attempt does at least give some results.

Bug 3

If EyeTV is not used i.e. not running for an indeterminate amount of time - more than a few minutes per a few hours, then EyeTV will no longer reconnect to the network tuner. It then becomes necessary to re-run the EyeTV Setup Assistant and reselect the network tuner. Fortunately you do not have to re-scan for channels.

All three of these issues have previously also occurred with older versions of EyeTV, and both a HDHR4-2DT and an older HDHR3-DT tuner and also older versions of the HDHomeRun firmware and software.

On the good news front EyeTV is able to extract DVB guide data for DVB-T2 high definition channels which at least in the UK using the Freeview HD service are apparently encrypted with a simple Huffman encoding.

• Like 2

I have a HDHR v3 Dual US and it's stopped working completely with this software. After paying for the new guide and upgrading I'm unable to use EyeTV al all. It's been 8 days  since ticket #2016071016000249 was opened and no response.  The tuner clearly works as I can watch live shows with the HDHR util no problem. Please address this bug!!

Elgato has built in numerous restrictions in EyeTV with the sole purpose of only selling their own devices. Legato always has refused to remove these destruction and Geniatech seems to be no bit better to me.

I have had a long conversation about this because I detected that even their own Netstream 4C was crippled into using only 2 (out of 4) decoders). They have till today not being allot to solve it. The 4C is back to the reseller, replaced by a HDHR expand en for software I now use DVLogic. Which is even cheaper and support about all that goed over Ethernet.

I doubt Geniatech is just now blocking my device that has worked for years. Seems like they just introduced a pile of bugs into the product when adding their own code for supporting the guide renewals and any other new device support. My guess is they are only doing quality testing with devices that they are currently reselling. Let's hope they intend to support long time existing users as well by actually fixing reported issues...

Well my setup is again working! After extensive removal of all eyetv software and reinstall. Additionally one of my silicon dust tuners had a failure after upgrading the firmware. Replacing that with an older HDHR US dual it's working again. My advice is to avoid firmware upgrade unless you really know that's the issue. Also using the HDHR utility to confirm all your tuners work is a good step.. 

Cheers,
Blake

22 hours ago, Mickey6Pack said:

Anyone able to us a HD HomeRun Prime or Extend with the Current release of EyeTV?

Since the first day EyeTV was released it was purposely limited to 2 decoders in 1 device. Legato has always refused to remove this limit. The "new" Geniatech also does not remove this limit and even their own Netstream 4C is limited to 2 devices. (meaning you pay € 160 and can only use € 80 worth)

I have had an extensive mail about this with them but they clearly don't care. So my advice to you is use either TVHeadend (if you also have a NAS) or get yourself a copy of DVBlink (dvblogic.com) and then you will be able to use all 4 decoders. So I sent de Netstream back to the retailer and bough a HDHomerun Expand & use with DVBlink.

Geniatech suffers the same disease as Elgato: not interested for wellbeing customers. Too bad, with a little effort they would have a good software product and many more users.

Have you tried the latest Download: EyeTV 3.6.9 (Version 7512) version.

I also have a HDHR4-2DT as like you got fed up waiting for a DVB-T2 tuner to be released.

What I found was that with 7416 build then would find the channels but doesn't sort them properly i.e. BBC One wasn't Channel 1 etc.

With the 7512 then finds the channels and orders the same as does my TV.  One thing I did find however was that my Gracenote Subscription stated invalid credentials however.  If you are using DVB Guide however shouldn't be an issue for you.

At the moment I am therefore running the 7416 software ( with a working Gracenote Subscription ) however the Channel Scan was from a 7512 scan.

I haven't personally experienced the issue with the disconnect to the Network Tuner

On 6/21/2016 at 11:01 PM, jelockwood said:

Bug 3

If EyeTV is not used i.e. not running for an indeterminate amount of time - more than a few minutes per a few hours, then EyeTV will no longer reconnect to the network tuner. It then becomes necessary to re-run the EyeTV Setup Assistant and reselect the network tuner. Fortunately you do not have to re-scan for channels.

I've been experiencing this on an Elgato branded US HDHR Dual.  When EyeTV tries to go to the channel, the tuner LED blinks for a while (instead of quickly going solid on),  then goes off as EyeTV gives up.    In my case, the failure is somewhat survivable.   When manually tuning, after a failure, I go to another station.  The vast bulk of the time the tuner will connect immediately.  I can then switch back to the station I wanted.   When recording, the tuner most likely will not connect, as in the manual case.   But 60 seconds after the recording should have started, EyeTV notices that it hasn't and tries again.  On the second try, it succeeds.   By setting the Extend Recordings - Start: [  1 ] minutes before scheduled option, I avoid missing any of the program.   If two programs are scheduled to record at the same time, the first program suffers the one minute delay as above, but the second program tunes immediately (and then records an extra minute. :P )  So there is some sort of second effort effect that makes it work. 

I'm currently running EyeTV 3.6.9 (7416).  Sorry it is late and I don't other version and hardware information handy.  I've experienced this across multiple versions of EyeTV, OS X and have updated the firmware in the HDHR with no effect.   I'll try to get back with the further info.  If Geniatech has trouble reproducing this issue, perhaps I can even provide a Wireshark capture.

Edited by rbgray
EyeTV version

On 6/22/2016 at 3:43 PM, thomaskud said:

Thank you for your respond. We'll improve it as soon as possible.

BTW, an "EyeTV Netstream" device for DVB-T and T2 is coming soon.

@thomaskud

I finally got round to building a new updated Mac to run the latest EyeTV 3.6.9 (7517), this is now under El Capitan 10.11.6 with HDHomeRun software version 20161117. As a further reminder this is to use a SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR4-2DT network tuner, and actually viewing both DVB-T MPEG2 and DVB-T2 H.264 channels still works.

Sadly however I am finding all three of the issues I listed still remain a problem.

PS. What happened to the EyeTV Netstream for DVB-T2? This is still not shown on your website.

On 2017-4-21 at 4:48 PM, jelockwood said:

@thomaskud

I finally got round to building a new updated Mac to run the latest EyeTV 3.6.9 (7517), this is now under El Capitan 10.11.6 with HDHomeRun software version 20161117. As a further reminder this is to use a SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR4-2DT network tuner, and actually viewing both DVB-T MPEG2 and DVB-T2 H.264 channels still works.

Sadly however I am finding all three of the issues I listed still remain a problem.

PS. What happened to the EyeTV Netstream for DVB-T2? This is still not shown on your website.

There is still a know issue with export and editor from H.265 (DVB-T2 HEVC) to H.264 using EyeTV 3 software which needs/should be resolved before the new Netstream DVB-T2/T2 HEVC device coming. Apologize for Delay... Our team is working on it. No worries ;)

On 5/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, thomaskud said:

There is still a know issue with export and editor from H.265 (DVB-T2 HEVC) to H.264 using EyeTV 3 software which needs/should be resolved before the new Netstream DVB-T2/T2 HEVC device coming. Apologize for Delay... Our team is working on it. No worries ;)

@thomaskud

Thanks, that answers the availability of the NetStream DVB-T2 tuner issue, but what about the three HDHomeRun related bugs?

On 2017-5-5 at 6:13 PM, jelockwood said:

@thomaskud

Thanks, that answers the availability of the NetStream DVB-T2 tuner issue, but what about the three HDHomeRun related bugs?

I think it's an issue of your HDHomeRun's firmware. We can't re-produce those issues with our EyeTV products and EyeTV 3 software. Suggestion: Ask SiliconDust if they have any firmware updates for your device.

We haven't blocked any HDHomeRun devices... Anyway, we need to test it and re-produce those issues to debug.

21 hours ago, thomaskud said:

I think it's an issue of your HDHomeRun's firmware. We can't re-produce those issues with our EyeTV products and EyeTV 3 software. Suggestion: Ask SiliconDust if they have any firmware updates for your device.

We haven't blocked any HDHomeRun devices... Anyway, we need to test it and re-produce those issues to debug.

@thomaskud

As per my posts I have been updating the firmware of my HDHomeRun as updates became available and this has not changed the problem, as a further reminder this has happened with both a HDHR3-DT (DVB-T) tuner and the newer current HDHR4-2DT (DVB-T2). I had previously raised this with SiliconDust and they say extracting the DVB EPG data from the broadcast signal is handled by the application in question  - in this case EyeTV and therefore any issues are down to the developer of that app i.e. Geniatech.

A much more recent post by another user here…

…suggests at least one other person is suffering the same problem or at least one of the three problems I reported, the one whereby EyeTV will only get EPG data for a handful of channels and then fails to get the rest, that is my Bug1 as per my original report above. (If a channel has no EPG data it is no longer listed in the EyeTV guide view, hence 'losing channels'.)

Personally I do suspect that the HDHomeRun is slightly culpable but also that EyeTV is. As a comparison I also use a Windows tool called EPG Collector with the same exact HDHomeRun tuner and it has no problems getting EPG data for all the channels.

Again as a reminder, if I view briefly in a live TV window each channel that is missing EPG data from a 'full' scan it does get the EPG data for that channel. It would seem the problem relates to EyeTV moving between channels or multiplexes to get more EPG data. EPG Collector seems to work differently it gets EPG data from a single channel/frequency which contains data for all channels. It is therefore not needing to switch between channels/frequencies/multiplexes. Perhaps you should consider this approach or make it a choice selectable in preferences? The possible implication is that a series of rapid 'changel changes' as EyeTV is trying to scan for EPG data might be disrupting things.

Note: The HDHomeRun HDHR4-2DT being a DVB-T2 tuner will work for the German market so it would be potentially possible for you to get one and test using your own local TV signal.

;) Shipping me a free NetStream-T i.e. DVB-T2 network tuner when it is released would be considered an 'adequate' fix for this problem. ;)