Vanessa

How do I receive 4 channels from EyeTV Netstream 4Sat on my Mac?

On 9-2-2017 at 1:15 PM, Mikyesun said:

@all,

we have tested successfully based on MacOS Sierra and  eyetv 3 version 3.6.9 (7514) also the eyetv netstream 4c (cable), we can record 4 channel or record 2 and watch 2 channels. If you wanna try, please follow the instruction above, and again you can try that special command in the Terminal, which is a currently experimental (unsupported) way to use four tuners all at once on your Mac.

kind regards

Mike

@Mikyesun

I didn't listen to myself but hoped you were right. So.

Got me a Netstream 4C again. Running on a iMac (2013, 3.5Ghz, 12GB ram, 27") only EyeTV (v3.6.8 - 7514) running.

It is not, I repeat not possible to either record, watch or watch/record more than 2 channels at the same time.

Tried the terminal trick ("defaults write com.elgato.eyetv “max SAT2IP tuners” -int 4") but got error message ("defaults[60321:8187234] Unexpected argument tuners”; leaving defaults unchanged."). Trick does not work.

On the system there are 2 com.elgato.eyetv.plist (in /users/shared/library/ preferences & /users/me/library/preferences)in neither there is a entry pertaining to number of tuners. So no idea where I could do it manually with Plist Editor.

Restarted EyeTV, iMac, no difference.

Solution?

@Ton

You must remove any EtyTV or Elgato (EyeConnect files and do a clean install of EyeTV.  Besides running the EyeTV Reporter remove anything having to do with eyeTV or Elegato in /Library.  It took me 3 times to get it right so persevere. 

Did after your message once again. Reporter to remove everything. Ifilex to find/remove any occurrence of "eyetv" of "elgato" or "eyeconnect". Restarted. Got me a fresh copy of 3.6.9/7514.

Setup goes thru the movement of scanning channels but finds none. At first removed antenne from Hybrid, then tried brandnew cable. No luck, finds none. (with the setup for HDHR then 2 tuners could be used).

If I go to the Networkpage then I see this:On the tunerpage all is empty

=====

logo.png

Elgato DVB>IP Server 1.1.0-402r1, Feb 19 2015, 17:49:21
Copyright (C) 2013-2014 Elgato Systems GmbH, Germany
Name EyeTV Netstream 4C (1502)
IP 192.168.1.69
MAC 00:0C:6C:08:05:DE
Serial Number 1502
Board ID 1
RTSP Port 554
HTTP Port 80
UPNP Model Name EyeTV Netstream 4C
DHCP Host Name Netstream4C_1502
Linux Version 2.6.30
Features CanChangeName: true
GetUsers: true
HttpCanContainSessionId: true
Transcoding: true
Tuners 4x DVB-C 

# Created by Elgato Tombea (built on Feb 19 2015 at 17:49:21)
# Page generation took 759µs, page size = 1636 bytes

=====

On the tunerpage all is empty

Downloaded Netstream app on iPhone. After scanning it says "Netstrram found channels". "check antenne, maybe more channels" (what antenna). But no channels are showing.

What to do next?

No, skipped that because the egular install this was refused errormessage " Unexpected argument tuners”; leaving defaults unchanged". The tested install is exactly same version as was regularly runnng.

Will try tomorrow, but expect not much. Can it be that the firmware of Netstream has to be updated?

Edited by Ton

Also are you sure you used   defaults write com.elgato.eyetv “max SAT2IP tuners” -int 4

I I think someone edited the original posting by Vanessa because I copied the command from her posting and it didn't work because it has SAT-IP instead of SAT2IP in it.

and not  defaults write com.elgato.eyetv “max SAT-IP tuners” -int 4 

You can check to see if it has worked by

~ $ defaults read com.elgato.eyetv | grep SAT2IP

"max SAT2IP tuners" = 4;

Some people have no understanding of the imperative to make things work correctly!!  ;-)

@Mikyesun

@Vanessa

@OldGoat

Here we go again.Spent a few hours, this is what I did:

-  uninstalled with EyeTV Reporter

-  deleted all (visible + hidden) files containing "eyetv", "elgato", "eyeconnect".

-  thrashed the trashcan.

-  reset the Netstream 4C. Firmware was indeed changed to basic.

-  restarted the Mac.

-  downloaded a fresh copy of EyeTV 3.6.9 (7514)

-  turned off all firewalls, physically removed all HDHR's & Hybrid.

-  installed EyeTV from .dmg

-  started EyeTV, activated Netstream 4C, stopped EyeTV

-  started EyeTV, did FW update (using pref.Devices where button was activated), stopped EyeTV

-  started EyeTV, in Terminal "defaults write com.elgato.eyetv “max SAT2IP tuners” -int 4", resulted in "Unexpected argument". However check "defaults read com.elgato.eyetv | grep SAT2IP", revealed "max SAT2IP tuners" = 4;". Not logical. For proof see enclosed Terminal output.

-   did a full scan, found some 180 channels, DVB guide info used. Checked some, all in good order. System working.

-  now for the proof of the pudding: tried to record 4 channels.

-  guess what? A genuine SNAFU. No luck, not possible to use more than 2 channels. See also attached tuner report.

?????????????????????????

PS: tried Netstream app on a iPhone, iPad. Finds the correct device but finds no channels. I don't see anyuse for this app (IOS EyeTV app fullfils all needs) but tried it anyway.

Awaiting your wise words. Want to do it yourselves? No problem, Teamviewer possible during 10:00 - 17:00 European Time.

iMac-~ tonio$ defaults write.textClipping

ScrnPrnt.1045.png

Hi Ton,

Think I may have found your problem.  When you tried to record 4 channels, did you go the the Program Guide and click on the record button for each channel?  If so, try scheduling 4 channels such that they will all be recording at the same time.  I can only record 2 channels by clicking on the record buttons.

Also may be another issue in that my screen shots of connecting to the unit are a bit different from yours.  I can't get 192.168.1.3/tunerstatus, just .../status and it's not as pretty as yours!

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.46.58.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.45.07.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.47.30.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 16.52.04.jpg

Tunerstatus: might well be caused by you having a Netstream 4S versus I havind a 4C?

Recording: I did that by simply pressing the 'record button' within the EPG. Is the most commong way. It is useless to start recordings at the same time since (in Europa) programs are not designed at specific times. E.g. on one channel it starts at 20:20, next 20:41, next 20:13 etc. Also net day/week might be just a bit different. That's why all my schedules have a "startime between".

If all tuners must start at identical time then there is a big flaw in the concept which is tricked by they moment of stating.

Sorry, didn't mean they had to start at the same time, just have 4 overlap at some point.  Also didn't realise you had a 4C.  Assumed a 4SAT as that is the topic of this discussion.  Don't know if there is enough difference to cause a problem.  Not sure if I can be of any further help but ask away if you like

IMO thé problems are related to the software refusing more than 2 tuners. This has been a problem from dag 1 Elgato introduced their rebranded HDHR. It is also the reason that new HDHR with 4 tuners only work crippled just like the 4C. IP signal is same for DVB-C and DVB-S.

I start to believe that. There needs to be a "cable-ip tuners=4" setting similar to the "sat-ip" setting.

Hope is now on @Vanessa and/or @Mikyesun 

On 9-2-2017 at 1:15 PM, Mikyesun said:

@all,

we have tested successfully based on MacOS Sierra and  eyetv 3 version 3.6.9 (7514) also the eyetv netstream 4c (cable), we can record 4 channel or record 2 and watch 2 channels. If you wanna try, please follow the instruction above, and again you can try that special command in the Terminal, which is a currently experimental (unsupported) way to use four tuners all at once on your Mac.

kind regards

Mike

IT DOES NOT. W O R K !  See: 

Hi Ton,

That's a bugger!  I don't have a 4C nor Cable feed so I can't have a play.  I don't suppose you live anywhere near South East Scotland?  I've just about always found in these situations that it's something one keeps overlooking in the process like me with the version numbers.  I was sure I had the latest version of EyeTV but of course was way out.  About the only thing you can do is to go back over the process step by step questioning "everything".  What's known as the Scientific Method.  If you want a small treatise on the Scientific method, read Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  Might take awhile (Especially reading the book) but you just might get there in the end and have some fun along the way.

Good Luck,

OldGoat

Edited by OldGoat

Just a few hours ago I redid the whole process on a brandnew Macbook Pro. Does not work.

Beside, the device cost almost 200 euros (HDHR, 4 tuners only 150 euros) so one might expect that Geniatech solves this problem. Especially because in no trading advertisemennt there is a limitation mentioned. 

I already contacted them 2nd half last year. Their technics hardly were aware that this device existed and were astounded that anyone would want to record 4 TV shows at the same time. Nevertheless there never came a solution.

Elgato was a very user unfriendly company but Geniatech has become in my eyes a not better proposition. Both apparently only care about selling non-working hardware and clearly unable to solve problems. 11 man on staff of this forum, only about 3 seldom reply.

all,

we happy to arrange a teamviewer session for everyone who want to try with

1. netstream 4sat (4 LNBs) 
  2. netstream 4c

send just a note to GTESales@geniatech.com

Sent a mail.

To be 100% clear. Beware, all your pictures prove only that you record 2 channels not 4 channel recording!

I have looked over things again and again but cannot find me. (Bugs me almost as much) Rebooted + restarted several times but don't find a cause. It's still bugging me.