I think it is a QuickTime Problem. Depending on Version of QuickTime and OS X 5.1 audio is not able for Playback. On some OS X Versions it is possible to fix the problem with the „Audio-MIDI-Setup“ program (Programs -> System Utilities -> Audio-MIDI-Setup). Most of the Mac can only play Stereo on internal speakers, so 5.1 audio isn't necessary. When you connect your Mac to external 5.1 speakers you can configure it with this Setup program, usually the sampling rate or some other parameters are not correctly set.

Are you sure? My EyeTV can recording every audio pid (pcm and ac3). I have no problems to playback all these audio sources. i'm using a optical cable (toslink) from a macbook pro to my soundbar to listen a real good surround sound.

EyeTV Version 3.6.9 in Germany!

yes, but when switching on eyetv3 to "audio" > "dolby digital" during live-tv there is only noise, no dolby digital playback.

maybe i functions with recordings, but with livetv, not on my eyetv3 (3.6.9 (7520)