Honza

Allow iOS playback without prior recompression

I have requested this some time ago and nothing has changed, so I'll try again...

I have eyeTV 3 and iOS eyeTV. All seems to work. My eyeTV 3 is installed on one of the most powerful computers you can get and the computer does not sweat simultaneously saving 4 TV streams in HD (I have 2 x 2 channel HomeRun HD) and playing back another, previously stored, HD recording. And still has cpu and hard drive resources available for something else. It is really powerful media center beast with OSX, used exclusively for this purpose. 

Annoying thing is that I can - on iOS - without any issues play live streams from my eyeTV 3 and all is working very well. I can be behind in time and jump around... But once the recording is done, I am immediately locked out from playing the same recording for ~20 minutes before the ~hour of recording is "prepared". That is extremely frustrating as :

1. Preparation is not necessary, if the live stream works just fine. 

2. Even if preparation would be necessary, the eyeTV computer will be ahead of me in no time. 

I know I may not be able to jump ahead easily - or that it may take some time before the recompression catches up - but this "preparing" is extremely annoying and frustrating. 

Can you enable live streaming of saved recordings so they get recompressed on fly? Just allow on fly recompression and remove the "preparing" when computer is powerful enough - chances I will need to watch the same recording second time are small so I do not need to store the recompressed recording anyway. 

There are now many computers which can easily handle that. 

• Like 2

I had made very nearly the same request at least a couple of times, both via the EyeTV (Mac) feedback screen that used to randomly spawn on launch, and via the EyeTV (iOS) app rating interface, in the App Store.  (I'd also requested that they increase feature parity across the board between the two versions of the software, as well as add remote control features to the iOS app, to allow me to control the Mac app... similar to how Apple's Remote app works with iTunes.)