Arnd_Gehrmann

EyeTV: concatenation of two clips ?

Hello,

very often, insite EyeTVs editor i need the contrary of the function "split", the concatenation of two clips/films into one!  Did someone know, whow to do this. I´m not shure, but i think, its unpossible until now.

greetings

Arnd Gehrmann

I believe there used to be a post in the old Elgato forums before they closed regarding this, I did successfully follow the steps to do this.

In my case I had recorded two consecutive programs on the same channel which as it should resulted in two saved files. However the scheduling had slipped compared to the EPG data so that the last bit of the first program was stored in the second file. I was able to duplicate the second file, edit the duplicate to get just the remaining part of the first program, and then follow the steps to 'join' it to the first recording.

As I (vaguely) recall the steps to join two files were something like the following -

• Quit EyeTV
  • Append the second MPEG2 file to the end of the first MPEG2 file, this could be done in Terminal using the cat command
  • Delete one of the XML files in the first file package - remember an EyeTV recording is actually stored as an Apple style package i.e. a folder inside of which are several XML files, the MPEG2 file and a bitmap preview image
  • Relaunch EyeTV, it will spot the missing XML file and rebuild it which will result in it now recognising the new bigger version of the MPEG2 file

What I cannot remember off hand is which XML file to delete.

I last did this well before it was possible to do DVB-T2 on a Mac so I have not tried this with H.264 recordings, it could be due to the different file format that this approach will not work for H.264. The same may eventually apply to H.265 aka HEVC.

On 20. August 2016 at 11:17 AM, Arnd_Gehrmann said:

Hello,

very often, insite EyeTVs editor i need the contrary of the function "split", the concatenation of two clips/films into one!  Did someone know, whow to do this. I´m not shure, but i think, its unpossible until now.

greetings

Arnd Gehrmann

Indeed I found this solution almost 10 years ago and it worked for me, yet I haven't tried it for some time:

http://www.macgadget.de/Forum/MPEG-Daten-zusammenschneiden

Dieses Problem habe ich für mich wie folgt gelöst:

Man öffnet die drei EyeTV-Container, die die MPEG2-Filme enthalten (Paketinhalt anzeigen) und kopiert die MPEGs unter Änderung der Datei-Namen in Film.001, Film.002 und Film.003 in ein anderes Verzeichnis.

Dort kann man die 3 Dateien mit "AJoiner" (erhältlich unter Versiontracker) zu Einer zusammenfassen. (Mit Shell-Commando CAT geht's auch).

Nun wird's kompliziert. Man muss mit EyeTV einen Leer-Container erzeugen. Dazu öffnet man einen beliebigen Film zum Bearbeiten, setzt einen Marker (mit 0 Sekunden Ausdehnung, es dürfen keine weiteren Marker gesetzt sein). Dann "Clip als Film speichern" aus dem Aktions-Menü wählen. Man erhält im EyeTV-Archiv einen neuen Container, den man mit "Paketinhalt anzeigen" öffnet. Die dortige MPEG-Datei ist 0MB groß.

Die mit Ajoiner zusammengefasste Datei muss nun den etwas kryptischen Namen der 0MB-MPEG-Datei erhalten. Danach ist die nun umbenannte Ajoiner-Datei in den EyeTV-Container zu ziehen.

Die Systemmeldung mit Ja beantworten, um die 0MB-Datei mit der Ajoiner-Datei zu überschreiben.

In EyeTV kann nun die immer noch als 0MB-groß angezeigte Clip-Datei zum Bearbeiten geöffnet werden. EyeTV passt den Container an und die alle drei Filme umfassende Datei kann mit EyeTV geschnitten werden. Fertig.

And my adhoc translation to English:

in finder, open the EyeTV containers with the respective *.mpg files (show package content) and copy the *.mpg files into a new folder renaming them film.001, film.002 and so forth. Now merge the files using "Ajoiner" into one (or use shell-command CAT). Then you have to generate an empty EyeTV-container: in EyeTV, open an *.eyetv file in edit mode, place just one marker somewhere, then press "save clip as movie". As a result you will find a new *.eyetv file in EyeTV-archive of 0 MB size. In finder, open that container, copy the filename of the *.mpg file and rename the concatenated file you had previously generated. Then copy this file to the EyeTV-container of 0 MB. Agree to the system warning that you are about to replace a file of same name. Then in EyeTV, open this *eyetv file in edit mode which still has 0 MB and edit it as desired. Done.   

I would create the clips using EyeTV and then connect the resulting mpg's (extract them from the file.eyetv with a simple Drag&Drop on MKVtoolNix and within seconds you have a perfectly concatenated movie.

MPEG StreamClip as I recently discovered makes an excellent H.264 editor. It can do so without having to re-encode the file so like EyeTV it merely edits to the nearest GOP frame. If you want to do this and still use it as a .eyetv file then you need to follow my previous instructions regarding opening the .eyetv container/package and also removing whichever XML file is necessary which will then force EyeTV to re-analyse the video and update things like duration, file size etc.

Moin, moin,

habe folgende zwei Methoden gestern mal versucht:

1. EyeTV erst mal beendet

2a. Aus zwei Containern die .mpg-Files raus kopiert, dann mit "cat file1.mpg file2.mpg > file3.mpg" zusammen gefügt, dann einen leeren Containereintrag erzeugt und file3.mpg dahin kopiert.

2b. Auch habe ich, wie an anderer Stellei beschrieben, in einem existierenden Container an einen  mpg-file i mit "catt file2.mpg >> file1.mpg" einen Film angehängt.

3. Beides habe ich mehrfach, mal mit mal ohne Löschung der diversen xml-Dateien gemacht.

5 Nach dem Start von EyeTV und dem "Bearbeiten" wurde tatsächlich "Aktualisiert" und man sah dann auch die neue Länge des Films ABER(!) es wurde immer nur der erste Film zum Bearbneiten angeboten. Es ist mir nicht gelungen, den zweiten angehängten Teil irgend wie zu sehen, geschweige denn, mit zu editieren.

Was tun?

Grüße

A.

Edited by Arnd_Gehrmann