KettyKrueger

Video jerky when exporting HD to ATV

Hi all

I'm having a problem exporting video. Whenever I export HD video, the video is stuttering. I've only noticed this on HD recordings, and I think it might just be on files where I'e removed the commercials with the built-in editor.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Just to add, this happens when exporting to any HD format.

The export process happens in about a minute, then the file doesn't play smoothly in iTunes.

I've just tried uninstalling eyetV to no avail. Also tried the previous version, again to no avail.

I am having the same or at least closely related problem: when viewing *eyetv files which I have edited to remove commercials using the bullt-in editor, the video output hangs while the audio output continues. This does not happen when replaying them using EyeTV on the Mac, but it did happen when I was still using a jail-broken ATV2 running FireCore or Infuse, and it still happens now that I have an ATV4 using Infuse, Plex or DS Video. I just realize, I haven't tried exporting to iTunes and replaying from there. Will try and report, but exporting to iTunes is just a hassle.  

I also have this stuttering on video exported using the default HD option – and similarly only on clips recorded from an HD broadcast. I'm just trying different export options, and I'll also try an unedited recording to see if that makes any difference.

(first post, hi everybodyl!)

I also have this problem with EyeTV 3 (3.6.9). I use a HD HomeRun Connect in the UK for HD TV ('freeview' DVB-T2). I knew it was a bug before even buying the HD HomeRun but I had hoped it would be fixed by now. The video 'stutters' like the frames go in the wrong order every half a second or so. I happens with any H.264 recording I try to export at full resolution, edited or not. I also tried it on a DVB-T2 channel that is actually in standard def, but the same thing happens.

As a work-around I second Ton's suggestion of using HandBrake to convert HD recordings at full resolution if necessary. This is not ideal though because it takes time and energy for the computer, whereas if the lossless export worked properly like it does for DVB-T (MPEG-2) files, exports would be almost instant. Also you either lose quality in converting or you end up with a larger file size, unless you happen to hit upon the exact right settings in HandBrake.

I like to think it would be a relatively simple thing to fix - because the files all play fine in EyeTV itself, so it's just an issue with native full resolution exports for some reason. It would be great to get this bug fixed sometime soon, though I'm sure Geniatech have a lot of stuff to do.

Edited by BillyBob

Wasn't quite clear, have you tried to export without any conversion? I don't yet have DVBT2 version as I'm waiting for new diversity (have had the HDhomerun and encountered the same problems as you) On my standard diversity i have now taken to just exporting the MPEG2 stream into Plex on my NAS, then viewed with Apple TV 4. In the "show all formats" option. The other option is to open the package in the EyeTV archive and drag the file out from there?

12 hours ago, bertie said:

Wasn't quite clear, have you tried to export without any conversion? I don't yet have DVBT2 version as I'm waiting for new diversity (have had the HDhomerun and encountered the same problems as you) On my standard diversity i have now taken to just exporting the MPEG2 stream into Plex on my NAS, then viewed with Apple TV 4. In the "show all formats" option. The other option is to open the package in the EyeTV archive and drag the file out from there?

Yeah... to recap, (you probably know all this, but for clarity and other people reading)... as I understand it EyeTV records the native stream it gets from whatever hardware it is using - so if it's a standard def DVB-T only tuner, then here in the UK it'll be recording MPEG-2, as that's the codec that is usually used in free-to-air standard def broadcasts with DVB-T.

So yes, as you say, if one takes the actual video file out of the 'package' files EyeTV uses, that is usable video to either watch on other hardware or players - but only when it's an MPEG-2 file.

With UK 'Freeview HD' recordings (actually even standard def DVB-Trecordings as there are at least a couple of channels that use that too) the newer, superior H.264 codec is used (even though they are still called whateverfile.mpg in the package). It's these files that seem to suffer the jerky movement effect if they're not residing within the EyeTV package, being played back with EyeTV itself.

That leads me to think there is either some vital piece of information in one of the other files in the package, or else something in EyeTV's playback that differs or accounts for the completely normal playback in EyeTV but the jerky motion if you do anything else with the video.

I don't think it's just the Mac OS's handling of the file either, as the files suffer the same problem on other devices I've tried.

Again, as Ton says, if you convert the file in HandBrake it comes out fine, so the required data is obviously in the video file, just something is slightly askew when other devices or software tries to play it directly.

Trying to play it without conversion is exactly the aim, for all the reasons of speed, convenience and quality I alluded to earlier. This is what I always did with standard definition MPEG recordings, and it would be great to do the same with H.264 recordings.

Edited by BillyBob

ah yes I guess that makes sense. I obviously haven't had the experience of exporting with the newer codec.

I must say that when I used the HDHomerun with eyetv 3 (latest build) even the live tv seemed a tad jerky to me. when I checked on CPU use, eyetv was hogging the entire CPU.

shame that one has to go through Handbrake as it will make the conversion much more time consuming won't it.

As I said, I'm waiting for the HD diversity which geniatech assure me is coming. But one can't help feeling that things are being done at such a snail's pace that OTA will have disappeared altogether by the time anything happens.

My ideal solution would be HDhomerun with channels app on ATV. but no one yet seems to have DVR software that is anywhere as good as EYETV. Though I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

I've found three solutions.

1. Play the exported video in a player that can compensate for the problem. On macOS, I've found the IINA video player to work <https://iina.io>.
  2. Export it from EyeTV using one of the export formats that re-encode the video. For example, use "Apple TV HD 1080p" or "HD 720p".
  3. Re-encode the exported video using a program that can compensate for the problem.  I've found HandBrake <https://handbrake.fr> and Shutter Encoder <https://www.shutterencoder.com> to work.

Of course, unfortunately, re-encoding can take a long time.

The "HD 1080p" export format in EyeTV does not perform re-encoding. So it is very quick, but it may have the stuttering problem.

Out of all the common export formats supported by EyeTV 3.6.9, I recommend using either "Apple TV HD 1080p" or "HD 720p". They all produce H.264 video files. But for 1080p or 720p output, those two produces slightly smaller files. The formats "Apple TV", "Apple TV HD" and "iPad" also produce 720p. The "iPod" format produces lower resolution 480p, and the "iPhone" format produces an even lower 360p, so it is unlikely you'll want to use them.

This problem appears to be causes by incorrect frame rate information in the video stream. In my case, roughly each 5 frames has 2 repeated frames, one of those repeated frames is a copy of one of the earlier frames is from a few frames earlier. Hence, it is out of sequence and causes the video to stutter. This is similar to what telecine pulldown does to convert frame rates.