KD0

Multiple devices...

I now have two devices, an older HDHR3 DUAL and a new HDHR4 CONNECT -- for a total of four tuners.  

Under Preferences --> Devices, it simply says I have 2 HDHomerun devices.  How does a tuner get assigned when a channel is selected?  One that is open and first-come-first-serve if they all are open? 

There was a thread about how to choose a device and unuse another, but that was if the two devices were different brands.  What if they are same brand?

It be nice to have flexibility.  Should be able to do everything from having four separate running windows, two windows with picture-in-picture each, hard selecting specific device and tuner to do specific scheduled recording, unable entire device if so wish so it can have priority with Plex/MythTV/HDHomerun's own software, etc.

Lots of folks are going to be having more than one device.  Heck, I'm about to get a third device, HDHomeRun EXTEND.  Please adapt EyeTV for us with multiple devices and tuners.  I'll have six tuners (2 per device) soon.

Edited by KD0
Typo

My understanding from discussions I'd had with tech support years ago, was that under Elgato, multiple tuner support wasn't originally designed to handle separate devices, but rather a single dual/triple tuner device.  They did modifiy it to support discrete devices (in my case, multiple Hauppauge 950Q tuners) and allowed me to download a pre-release version to experiment with the feature... and then subsequent releases also supported separate devices. However, I was never entirely certain that the feature received much attention, as it was by definition not a profitable add-on to the software, since it basically meant that people like me were spending our money on the cheaper Hauppauge tuners instead of on the more expensive (and yet mechanically identical) EyeTV Hybrid tuners (since, discontinued).

In other words, the current implementation is probably still a bit buggy.

Buggy?

EyeTV is simply crippled and not by accident but on purpose. The problem with multiple tuners has been over 5 years been reported to Elgato all the time by different people. They solved it by simply saying "is not supported". They even never did anything to solve this.

Now Geniatech offers even a 4 decoder device (Netstream 4C) and my experience is that EyeTV only allows the use of 2 decoders. In sparse mails they acknowledged the problem but did nothing to solve it. Not even saying "we will solve it" was stated by them.

Using: 2 each (hdhomerun3_atsc 20150406) and EyeTV 3.6.9 

Back when I added a second HDHR3 to our system we could still get OTA via cable.  I connected it to such and was able to configure EyeTV using one device on us-bcast the other on us-cable.  Each HDHR3 got its own channel list in EyeTV, making channel assignment possible.  

HDHomerun also has a channelmap called kr-bcast.(Korea)  (The designation of channelmaps: us-bcast/us-cable/kr-bcast is HDHomerun specific.)  I have selected kr-bcast in HDHomerun_gui.app and was able to tune a local station.  If there is a way to get EyeTV to use kr-bcast for one device, I'm hoping EyeTV will repeat the desired behavior.  I have no idea if the alternate channelmap will disrupt Guide population for that device.  If so, the "Assign EPG Channel" may solve it.   

In searching the SiliconDust forums and HDHomeRun Development Guide, there is a [/lineup/location] parameter that goes back to 2011.  Seems it is not implemented for the older devices/firmware.  No idea if EyeTV uses it.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:52 AM, Ton said:

Buggy?

EyeTV is simply crippled and not by accident but on purpose. The problem with multiple tuners has been over 5 years been reported to Elgato all the time by different people. They solved it by simply saying "is not supported". They even never did anything to solve this.

Now Geniatech offers even a 4 decoder device (Netstream 4C) and my experience is that EyeTV only allows the use of 2 decoders. In sparse mails they acknowledged the problem but did nothing to solve it. Not even saying "we will solve it" was stated by them.

In a quick review of forum topics, I bumped into this discussion.  I've used three sets of HDHOMERUN EXTENDS successfully, with the latest software without having any problems. My only issue was with the recording Mac Mini acquired a bad drive.  When I switched to a newer Mini, temporarily, that was a 2 processor I7, I noticed recording dropouts that the slightly slower older Mini did not have.  The older one was a 4 processor I7.  The good setup is running tonight, but I've sold a couple of the tuners, and am replacing them with the fanless EXTENDS.  The only thing left to do is buy the replacements and install the commercial skip software, which is a pain in the... to get correctly running.  

The Extend is a US device, problems mentioned by me are with EU devices. Might be a difference there.

Do I correctly understand that you use software to skip commercials in combination with EyeTV? Can you give me a URL?

On 27/09/2016 at 8:52 AM, Ton said:

Buggy?

Well, I have an EyeTV Diversity connected and can recored simultaneous programs on it while simultaneously recording 2 on Netstream 4SAT and record 2 more Netstream 4SAT programs on another computer.  This is in the UK.