KD0

Is EyeTV3 turning into abandonware?

Purchased this application three years ago and with support that has always been a little "quite side", I am left wondering if EyeTV is turning into abandonware.

Is it time to just accept EyeTV for what it is and what it will ever be and move on?  (I'd still use EyeTV for some purposes, but questioning as main tuner app these days).

Edited by KD0

I am also afraid for that. Elgato has neglected the user for years (no real updates, no new devices added, no response to questions and more) and now Geniatech looks going the same way (Netstream 4C only 2 decoders usable, no real  software update, all like Elgato.

So I am fervently testing TVHeadend (free, Nas only), MythTV (free) and DVBlink (paid). Also because I am forced to since I have a HDHR3-4DC that is not supported by EyeTV (Why? Is identical to HDHR3-EU but has 4 instead of 2 decoders).

I would prefer to stay with EyeTV because despite its handicaps it is the most user-friendly.

This is an important question.  I've been using EyeTV for somewhere around a decade, and it has never been matched by any other product on either Mac or PC.  Unfortunately, I have to agree that EyeTV 3 was indeed abandonware -- under Elgato's rein.  Instead of fixing long-time known issues, they allowed the core services and products to languish, and focused their development efforts on questionable endeavors such as hacking off access to previously free offerings (like TitanTV guide listings) and developing a disappointingly buggy iOS app which lacks many obvious features.

I just happened to discover last night that Elgato had turned over the EyeTV product line to Geniatech, as I wanted to record the premier of a show, but I had allowed my TV Guide subscription to expire many months ago.  When I checked my account, it initially said something about the account being invalid... and then when I attempted to update the listings -- it simply worked!  No fuss, no muss, thirty day free trial.  Then I received the message from Geniatech informing me that my account had been migrated to them.

This, I would opine, is a good sign, particularly alongside the creation of a new EyeTV centric forum.  The previous "Lounge" forum under Elgato's rein was incredibly useful and contained a wealth of great info for EyeTV users... and it really seemed like the beginning of the end for them, when they abruptly killed off the Lounge.  So hopefully, these positive signs under Geniatech indicate that they're starting to ramp up services, and will focus attention on what customers actually want, rather than only on what makes the company a quick buck.

All of that said... as a software developer myself, I can tell you that it sometimes takes awhile to get fully up-to-speed on someone else's codebase.  So, no assumptions: let's give them a little bit of time to settle in, before we judge their actions.

I hope that you are right and Geniatech will be positive. But till now (in view own experience mail, their reactions on this forum) I fear that not much will change. They even sell hardware that does not work 100% with their own software.

But I keep hoping since EyeTV is basically a good product and much more user-friendly than most other competitive software (MythTV, DVBlink, YVHeadend. Have them all working now)