Ton

Open letter to Geniatech

I have 2 Hybrid on Cable in my mac Mini. I see a lot of random stability. Sometimes scheduled recordings don't trigger. PIP seldom starts the small frame etc

A few improvements

when streaming live channel to iOS, the channel shift on Mac when switched on the mobile. Even with 2 tuners. I concider this a bug and it persisted for ages

when watching on mobile I have to terminate what I watch to select another channel. At least a previous nxt channel button would improve UI

Big picture

Streaming ability of EyeTV is weak. Stutter, Jitter and total drop out is not unusual. For years I was hoping someone would create an EyeTV channel/app for the Plex Media Server. All I need is to get access to EyeTV through Plex.

Lets face it. Apps for Plex is available for ALL platforms. LG TV, Samsung TV, iOS,Android, Roku, ATV, Mac Win and more.

Plex Streaming is by a mile the strongest and best performing solution for home environments as well as to remote networks or  mobile networks. Porting to plex will guarantee the stream, where through Eyetv I may get lucky. Especially the Dynamic stream from Plex is a killer. It simply adjusts to what is available without interrupting your show.

Plex has a huge base, super easy to manage and can be shared with friends. My guess is going this way for TV Tuning, EyeTV will increase its sales.

so again. Create an EyeTV Channel for Plex. Create EyeTV menu and integration for the App. EyeTV will never need to worry about the user side of things but can concentrate on the server side 100%. 

If you never tried Plex. Do it

Plex as an additional option will for some be a good idea but not the only solution. Many people do not and do not want to be forced to use Plex. Especially for the aTV there are more and better solution like Infuse.

The best solution is porting the IOS app to TvOS.

I do not understand people complaining about first having to convert. I can play recordings/live on iPad/iPhone with only a few seconds delay.

Edited by Ton

On 29-10-2016 at 11:39 AM, Ton said:

I sent this to Geniatech. Feel free to add your comments.

Why? because I believe EyeTV is a good product that should not be ruined and made to abandonware.

===========================================

I do not know your relationship with Elgato but 1 thing is certain: your approach towards your customers is just a low as Elgato's was.

On the forum there are 10s of complaints about not correct working hardware and software problems. None of  them is addressed. Never a solution is given. There is absolutely no sign of a future plan.

Where are you people? What are you doing/ Can we officially declare EyeTV as abandonware? Will there ever be a aTV app? When will EyeTV be able to use the 4 decoders in your own Netstream 4c? Why not implement preset HDHomerun devices?

Questions, questions, questions.

The above is now one 1 year old!!!!!

And nothing in the positive has happened. Worse, the situation has degraded even further. No aTV app, problems with High Sierra, no response to problem messages, no sign of EyeTV 4 (64 bits)

In short: EyeTV (software and hardware!) have become abandonware. Products that are sold without any support. 

There are 11 moderators (an absurd large group for a niche product)

@Abigale @David Andel @Dual_HD @Echo88 @justin @Mikyesun @N.Z @Nick @NinjaKai @thomaskud @Vanessa

but where are the technicians i.e. people that know how to program and solve problems?

Where is the management that should decide on timelines? 

What is the timeline?

And more, more, more questions.

On 2017/11/8 at 8:50 AM, Ton said:

The above is now one 1 year old!!!!!

And nothing in the positive has happened. Worse, the situation has degraded even further. No aTV app, problems with High Sierra, no response to problem messages, no sign of EyeTV 4 (64 bits)

In short: EyeTV (software and hardware!) have become abandonware. Products that are sold without any support. 

There are 11 moderators (an absurd large group for a niche product)

@Abigale @David Andel @Dual_HD @Echo88 @justin @Mikyesun @N.Z @Nick @NinjaKai @thomaskud @Vanessa

but where are the technicians i.e. people that know how to program and solve problems?

Where is the management that should decide on timelines? 

What is the timeline?

And more, more, more questions.

Hi Ton,

1) aTV app: We published a netstream app for tvOS that supports all eyetv netstream devices. We know this app is not an "eyetv app/eyetv 3 app" on tvOS, please give us some time, ;) we also have a lot of tasks to do (h.265, macOS high Sierra etc.).

2) problems with High Sierra: good news for you, we just updated eyetv 3 software. The latest version is 3.6.9(7522) and it runs more stable with macOS high Sierra. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your understanding.

Thomas

21 hours ago, thomaskud said:

Hi Ton,

1) aTV app: We published a netstream app for tvOS that supports all eyetv netstream devices. We know this app is not an "eyetv app/eyetv 3 app" on tvOS, please give us some time, ;) we also have a lot of tasks to do (h.265, macOS high Sierra etc.).

2) problems with High Sierra: good news for you, we just updated eyetv 3 software. The latest version is 3.6.9(7522) and it runs more stable with macOS high Sierra. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your understanding.

Thomas

Thank you for the update, Thomas.  Unfortunately the updated to EyeTV 3.6.9(7522) breaks compatibility with my HDHomerun Tuners, rendering the software useless to me.  

I hope the dropped support for HDHomerun tuners was an oversight that will be remedied soon.  If the dropping of support was deliberate, I hope the company will reconsider.

On 2017/11/15 at 3:58 PM, KaijuTV said:

Thank you for the update, Thomas.  Unfortunately the updated to EyeTV 3.6.9(7522) breaks compatibility with my HDHomerun Tuners, rendering the software useless to me.  

I hope the dropped support for HDHomerun tuners was an oversight that will be remedied soon.  If the dropping of support was deliberate, I hope the company will reconsider.

For HDHomerun, please use eyetv 3.6.9(7520), https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-3-6-9-7520/