jakeanderson44

EYE TV 3 setup issues

I just purchased the eye tv 3 for my mac, and I downloaded the app to my computer. When I first run it, I get to a setup wizard, who asks me which product I'm installing for, but eye tv 3 isn't an option. Am I missing something here? Can someone help me figure out how to properly configure everything for the eye tv so that I can use it correctly?

EyeTV 3 is a program with version 3.

You have to select the hardware that you bought. look on the box or place a picture of the device here.

EyeTV 3 is a program with version 3.

You have to select the hardware that you bought. look on the box or place a picture of the device here.

• Like 1

ok, did I just buy the eye tv 3 software then? I haven't received a box yet, just an email with the activation code. I bought this with the intention of using my mac as a dvr and video editor.  I have such a hard time trying to understand what I really need to buy. No one in customer support answered my when I asked this question before I bought the product (what all do I actually need to buy). Maybe I will be getting a box in the mail shortly? I am unsure. Thank you for letting me know, and if you could help me further that would be greatly appreciated! No one at geniatech customer support responds, its such a joke. This forum is the only place to get help. If it helps, this link takes you to what I bought. http://shop-en.geniatech.eu/software/eyetv-3/

Oeps.

All you bought is the software and that is useless without corresponding hardware and with most hardware you get a full version of EyeTV's software for free.

So in short: you waisted the money and should demand a refund. 

Next the best thing is you buy the EyeTV Hybrid (this is the hardware) and you will get the software for free. Offcourse you will need a provider that offers you a signal. This depends on your location (USA, Europe, or ....). Similar take care to order a Hybrid suitable for your country & type of signal.

As an example you might buy this http://shop-en.geniatech.eu/hardware/eyetv-hybrid/ 

gotcha. I started to wonder if i had done that. Yes, I have cable. I just wanted the ability to edit video. Ive been trying to contact customer support for so long now and no one is answering. Its such a joke. I don't really know what to do.... Anyways thanks for the help. 

Also, do you know if you can export video from the elgato editing feature to something like iMovie? Does the editing feature allow for writing and effects on the video that you are trying to edit? Thanks so much for the help, you are a life saver.

also, do you think it would just make more sense to buy a regular tuner right now, instead of the hybrid? The tuner + the elgato eye 3 software seems to be about 25$ less expensive than the hybrid itself. What else does the hybrid offer thats different than the individual tuner and individual elgato 3 software combined? I guess since I'm having such a tough time trying to figure out what all exactly I need to buy (i originally thought the software just came with a tuner!), you've been my best source. They should pay you to be a sales rep, lol!. 

Where are you based? That's important for the hardware. EU and US have complete different systems.

Recordings made with EyeTV (meaning the software) can best be converted using Handbrake (free -> handbrake.fr) because HB is much more versatile, faster and better than EyeTV's built in. Don't know what format iMovie can read but I expect it to read at least .MP4 & .M4V. 

Also EyeTV has some basic editing incorporated. Play a recording, click Ctrl-E and you can cut, compact, etc.

What do you mean with "tuner"? HDHR? if so which? With HDHR you have to buy the software separate. Also if HDHR3-4DC then only 2 out of 4 tuners can be used.

Do you mean "Netstream 4C" then you get the software included but will only be able to use 2 out of the 4 tuners. Geniatechs stuff is not always compatible with itself!

As to which hardware to buy place of living is important. I know little about US and quite a bit about EU. If it's the latter sent me a PM with your mailadress. Is faster than this forum. Also EyeTV only works with limited brands of tuners. So beware.

I am from the US. Sorry for the confusion, elgato sells multiple tv tuners individually. I did not mean the HDHR, but I just now went and looked that up to see what it was. I now understand that I was very much misinformed about much of what I thought I was doing. I did not realize there was such difficulty with the hardware in the U.S. Just to tell you what my intentions were, if thats make advice any more simple, I was just hoping to be able to edit record cut, compact, burn (I know it works with toast) video from my mac. I thought I was getting that all with the eye tv3, but I obviously now see that is wrong. The reason I was asking about "tuners" was that If I was unable to receive a refund for my eyetv3 purchase, I could by an accompanying tuner (whether it be elgato or just a generic american brand) to use the eye tv3 software with. Hopefully someone in support will work with me (I finally found someone, a sales rep, their support is a joke), so that I can get a refund on my eye tv3 and by the hybrid. Sorry to be so vague, I am still learning about this stuff. I guess the real question I should have been asking all this time was one straightforward to my intentions. If you were trying to play, edit, and cut a video recording on your mac, what would you buy. The eye tv hybrid? Thank you for all your help!

Buying Hybrid or HDHR makes no difference on the use for play/record/edit. Just take care you get a piece of hardware that will work in the US and with EyeTV. Or get (hardware) one of the many USB sticks of other brands. Info on which brands/type used to be on the Elgato pages but I can't find them on this site.

I myself am based in Europe and have to little knowledge what hardware works with the US system. You might check the HDHomerun.net forum. Sorry for not having a 100% answer.