robpele

ETV 3 does not recognize HD Homerun connect

I am in the US. I had an eyetv 250 that stopped working well. recently bought an eyetv U6- the only device sold in US now for digital OTA- It's tuner is not good- can't pick up many stations. I got a HDHomeRun Connect and it has a much better tuner. I am trying to connect my eyetv software to the HDHR signal coming over my home network. The HDHR is listed in two places in the eyetv setup- but in neither of them will eyetv recognize the HDHR. can anyone help?

If the U6 is able to pick-up up all wanted stations then it might work if you set it up the U6 and then disconnect it, connect the HDHR. I know by experience that this method works in a number of cases.

If not then the best solution is dumping EyeTV, get (Free) version of DVBlink. That will function perfectst with the HDHD.

Alternative is using TVHeadend but that has quitte a large learning curve.

If you love working on the "bits & byte" level MythTV is an alternative but only if you can get it to work.

I am in the UK so I use a different model HDHomeRun tuner than you but the following experience might be relevant and of help.

Firstly you need to install the HDHomeRun software on your Mac, I suspect you have done this but it needed to be asked, the latest version is here https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

I would then run the SiliconDust HDHomeRun app and confirm it itself can access the tuner.

Next you run EyeTV, now here some experience might help, I have found that after previously running EyeTV and previously successfully configuring it to use my HDHomeRun tuner that if I later run EyeTV again it has sometimes 'lost' connection to the tuner, the simplest way to resolve this is to re-run the setup wizard again but only to tell it to look for a HDHomeRun tuner, it is not necessary to scan for stations again.

Note: When SiliconDust issue newer software they typically also issue newer firmware for the HDHomeRun tuners. When you run the HDHomeRun app I believe it should offer if needed to upgrade the firmware, I am a bit uncertain about this because I also use Window Media Center and do this mostly on that. You can go to http://myhdhomerun.com on your Mac and it will report the version of software and firmware you have installed. There have been some issues with previous versions and it looks like the latest helps.

Maybe the HDHomeRun Connect is different but I have never found it necessary to install any additional software to have EyeTV see and make use of the HDHomerun.

I have 2 of them connected (4 channels) and they work great.

Remark on @jelockwood fine description: " it is not necessary to scan for stations again." better is to not do the scan since it will delete existing scans. Offcourse an update scan is no problem since then the old scan remains active.

In this way even the HDHR3-4DC can be used although then only 2 decoders are accessible.