MacFinn

EyeTV 3.6.9 on High Sierra, crashing

I've upgraded both of my Macs to High Sierra. I use EyeTV on both, with 610 on Mac mini and Hybrid with MBP.  The version is 7520 on both. 

EyeTV works ok as long as you don't try to look for EPG-data from Live TV window. It crashes every time. Any hope for a High Sierra compatible version soon?

• Confused 1

I received this morning an answer from the support. Unfortnately it´s written in very strange german, so I don´t understand it really.

I think that the person wants to tell me, that the EyeTV-app isn´t a real 64Bit-software and that they´ll take now (!!!!) a close look at the software and that they´ll fix compatibility problems as soon as possible.

EyeTV is still old-fashioned 32 bit software. We are still lucky that it is not 16-bit.

Expect them to take at least 2 years before coming out with a 64-bit Beta.

Totally disappointment by support. Same issue here, and i'm pretty sure that you all have another issue with the apple remote. The up and down buttons do not work on the menu of eyetv. Same thing had with Kodi, Apple changed something but Kodi made available a patch that corrects the problem. The support of eyetv said to me "We have confirmed that is the change by the apple and we can not control it, hope you can understand and you can try to contact the apple for a further solution." Totally unacceptable. I will reply to them and make my point.

They need to take this stuff seriously and not abandon user as there is no other option in mac for time shifting tv (at lease an easy one without any expertise)

EyeTV 3.6.9 is constantly crashing on my Mac since updating to macOS 10.13 High Sierra. EyeTV developers should have been prepared for macOS 10.13. Very bad customer care!

+1 on this. I've used eyeTV for ten years and rely on it. I was just getting ready to upgrade to 10.13 -- now, I won't! This is a total limitation -- UNLESS -- there's a different brand of software that can control the (formerly Elgato) EyeTV-HD. (I am a US customer.) Any suggestions?

I used EyeTV for about 7 years. It has become so unstable and buggy under High sierra that I’ve jumped ship to SiliconDust’s dvr. Not without it own issues, the developers are at least actively improving their product. Geniatech has left EyeTV to rot. 

I use  my eyetv  with  High Sierra 10.12.6  while not perfect it works  quite well. as  I understand it 10.13  is beta, I would wait  until it becomes fully operational  

15 hours ago, LJM said:

I use  my eyetv  with  High Sierra 10.12.6  while not perfect it works  quite well. as  I understand it 10.13  is beta, I would wait  until it becomes fully operational  

What do you mean beta ? there is no beta in high sierra anymore. And from what you are saying you have no issues ? so on full screen if you access the EPG it does not crashes ? from the apple remote the up and down arrow works on the menu ??

please excuse  my ignorance. I checked, and as you correctly state  High Sierra OSX  10.13  is not in beta. Yesterday I updated my three computers  to High Sierra. I also  upgraded two  computers  to EyeTV 3 version 7520. I use  the eyetv app  on my ipad and iphone.  Both computers streamed  video to  my mobile  devices over  my home  wifi network  with no problem at all. 

Streaming live TV to my mobile devices over wifi is the  main  way  I use EyeTv. I  may have misunderstood the theme of this thread. when I read the  messages  I feared that my EyeTv set up would become useless  if I upgraded  to High Sierra.  I took a chance  and upgraded  a mac mini (mid 2012)   to 7520 and  then High Sierra.  The mac mini successfully streamed  the  live  tv to both my mobile devices. I then repeated  the process  for a mac book air 11 inch  2013. This computer also  successfully streamed video the my mobile  devices. Under normal use I use the mac book  air,  my  live tv screen size, on  this   computer is as small  as possible.

As to the High Sierra  crashing EyeTv when accessing the EPG  in full screen  mode I have no knowledge of this,  I have  not used  the EPG (TV Guide) for many  years because I am not  able to get it. I usually know  what programs I wish to view. If I have to look for something  I use a web page called zap2it  which provides a good tv guide  even though it will not interface with EyeTv. While I very rarely watch EyeTv  on my computer, when I do and  want to change  channels  I use the  on screen  channel changer. 

As I was reading the thread I assumed  that  high sierra  had rendered EyeTv  useless  in its entirety. This is not the case  at least for me and the way  I use  it. My issue is tomorrow I am upgrading to fiber optic  for internet,  phone and TV  and have next to no idea  how my  EyeTv  set up which I am very happy with is going to work  if at all. I cant really find any information that I understand and may have  purchase  a TV  set which brings up a  whole bunch if issues. 

What I can add  to this thread  is that  like all things with computers  " your milage may vary".  High Sierra  and 7520  work for me  and the  way  I use  EyeTv. From what is in the thread  there are some issues with using the  EPG  and the remote, and it sucks when a product does not function fully as intended  coming out of an up grade. I hope you all  who are having issues can find a work around you can live with until  such time  as  the flawsare fixed.

Again my apology for  being so stupid for saying high sierra  was in beta when it had not been so for morethan a month

I also have this issue. Two machines upgraded to High Sierra 10.13. EyeTV operates okay until I try to access the TV GUIDE from the on-screen menu. EyeTV immediately crashes when the Guide is selected from the OSD. The crash is consistent and repeatable.

The same computers with Sierra 10.12.x ran okay,  no crashes. The crash began to happen after the update to High Sierra.

Host computers are:

Mac mini 5.2, mid 2011

iMac 11,3 mid 2010, 27”

EyeTV full software (not Lite)

version 3.6.9 (7520)

Hardware is Geniatech EyeTV T2 Lite USB device.

I have reported the issue to the support team. I have sent a copy of the crash log.

I submitted the following report:

I just upgraded EyeTV3 to 3.6.9 (7520) and my Mac mini (Mid 2010) to mac OS High Sierra 10.13, and the up and down arrows on the remote stopped functioning and any time I select the on-screen guide, EyeTV3 crashes. Reading your support form, these failures appears to be a common problem and nothing unique to my system or configuration. (https://eyetvforum.com/index.php?/topic/2024-eyetv-369-on-high-sierra-crashing/) Do you have a new EyeTV3 build in work to address these two issues, and if so, when is it expected to be released?

And received the following support:

The problem on your apple tv remote is because the Apple change something and we can not control it.
As for your problem on crash, please try to use the EyeTV Reporter software from your support webpage to deinstall the EyeTV software. After installing the EyeTV version 3.6.9 (7520) and a clean setup of the settings , then please check your problem again:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/wie-nutze-ich-das-eyetv-reporter-dienstprogramm/
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/software/
And please back up the data you need before you use the reporter tool.

After the deinstall and reboot, I installed Kodi, and the up/down buttons on the remote worked fine to navigate the Kodi menu. (Per the Kodi forums, High Sierra remapped the up/down arrows on the remote to control volume, but their open source programmers were able to re-map them to the on-screen guide.) I then did a clean install of EyeTV3, but the remote up/down arrows still wouldn't work with the EyeTV menu, and selecting EPG still caused the program to crash.

Using Time Machine, I downgraded to OS 10.12 Sierra, and the remote is working properly again.

I hope my Mac mini doesn't die, because it appears that EyeTV3 isn't usable on a Mac mini with High Sierra and Geniatech is either unwilling or lacks the technical ability to upgrade their software to work with 10.13 High Sierra.

On 05/11/2017 at 6:35 AM, Inigo said:

The problem on your apple tv remote is because the Apple change something and we can not control it.

That stupid answer gave to me as well. Kodi managed to fix it easily, it is clearly that they do not have the technician expertise to fix these issues with the remote and the EPG. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:00 PM, Ton said:

EyeTV is still old-fashioned 32 bit software. We are still lucky that it is not 16-bit.

Expect them to take at least 2 years before coming out with a 64-bit Beta.

Why so optimistic?

They've had 11 years since a 64 bit version of Leopard became available.

And nothing so far.

The only crash or lockup I'm encountering is in full screen mode on a late 2015 MacMini. The console system logs are showing some elaborate GPU reset associated with "rings" as the root cause and is causing the EyeTV app to hang the computer until you force quit the app. This hang is totally intermittent. I have tried every combination of settings imaginable. It works perferectly on my iMac and MacBook Air. Running it in window mode stops the hang. I have this MacMini hooked up to a Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma. Interesting thing is, I never had this problem with High Sierra beta. 

Edited by Rick Rish

High Sierra and eyetv 3.5.6 (6917)

Found it on the internet and it works wil upgrade later when they get a fix

Also, Let me know when it is fixed!@@@@