MacFinn

EyeTV 3.6.9 on High Sierra, crashing

1 hour ago, Dmbmke said:

Geniatech has essentially abandoned eyetv. Just leave and go elsewhere. 

like where ? i'm not a mac expert at all. I have an eyetv double tuner with antenna DVB-T, i want epg, recording and editing the recording and export to a file, and iphone app. What is the alternative ?

@great_vc 

You could switch to DVBlink (free version does it all, aTV cost money) or MythTV (if you like tinkering on it-level)of (if you have a NAS) TVHeadend. These have no editing features but for that Quicktime is very nice alternatively you could use Video Cutter.

DVBlink is the easiest to switch to but misses 1 feature (in which EyeTV is outstanding) and that is scheduling. Their scheduling is rather primitive. Otoh the support is great meaning mail and forum are often replies to the same day.

• Thanks 1

Hello, I am using a Mac Mini (late 2012) with OS 10.12.6 (16G1036) and EyeTV-3, Ver. 3.6.9 (7520) from Geniatech and a HDhomeRun Dual from Silicondust. Just today I was notified that there was a new update so after installing my EyeTv stopped working. When I checked EyeTV Preference under "devises" my hardware was no longer listed. Now I come to this site and read that many are having problems using HighSierra. HighSierra is a 64 bit only operating system.

So do not upgrade/update anything until Apple, Geniatech, Silicondust, EyeTv, what ever you are using, catches up with the real world. I am grateful that I thought to come to this site.

8 hours ago, rtraill said:

Can others please confirm that 3.6.9 (3522) now works reliably on High Sierra?

Works perfectly for me on 10.13.1 with version 3522 and an EyeTV Sat Free.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:18 AM, Chris M said:

Works perfectly for me on 10.13.1 with version 3522 and an EyeTV Sat Free.

It is not perfectly, apple remote still doesn't work which is a big drawback for a TV

1 hour ago, great_vc said:

It is not perfectly, apple remote still doesn't work which is a big drawback for a TV

Apple remote's working fine for me on build 3522 and High Sierra 10.13.1

It's an old (white) Apple remote though, not a recent one.

Edited by Chris M
adding info

On 25/11/2017 at 8:29 PM, rtraill said:

Anyone from Australia who is using a Elgato Diversity tuner (as a double channel tuner) using 3.6.9 (7522) working properly under high sierra?

Same here, whenever I launch it is just crashes, it was working fine until the weekend on 10.13.1 I had the previous failed to instal 7521 but it had seemed to work.

To be fair I sent a support ticket and they asked me to use there 'report' tool to uninstall (having saved the relevant preferences) and it seems fine now, there was additional stuff to sign into on  the reinstall.

I bought Eyetv plus for my MacBook pro back in 2011 in the US.  For the most part it has worked great but Elgato did replace my device for me once in 2014 back when they had good customer service.  When I used El Capitan is 10.11 and version 7522 it was still working fine but in November without changing anything to my knowledge I noticed my playback got bad, especially on HD broadcasts- pausing a lot and the eyetv program generally acting sluggish.  I saw a lot of "Eyetv not responding" but if patient it would eventually respond.  So far customer service asked me to use versions of eyetv I discovered my device does not like so they have been more of a hurt than a help.  I tried adjusting EyeTV settings, changing the usb location, making sure system preferences spotlight privacy listed the eyetv file locations and folders was not, etc  but nothing helped. I noticed the activity monitor was going above 100% for the eyetv process during pauses and hoped updating my os to sierra may help but it did not.  Now the eyetv program can take 10 min to launch and recordings from network shows that make 3 or more GB files per hour are so full of pauses that they are basically useless.  Smaller size files recorded from PBS and a few other broadcasts still play pretty well but I can't seem to force Eyetv to make lower quality - smaller file size recordings - no matter the broadcast type.  I assume the larger files are from HD broadcasts.  Any ideas?

On 11/9/2017 at 9:33 AM, Rick Rish said:

The only crash or lockup I'm encountering is in full screen mode on a late 2015 MacMini. The console system logs are showing some elaborate GPU reset associated with "rings" as the root cause and is causing the EyeTV app to hang the computer until you force quit the app. This hang is totally intermittent. I have tried every combination of settings imaginable. It works perferectly on my iMac and MacBook Air. Running it in window mode stops the hang. I have this MacMini hooked up to a Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma. Interesting thing is, I never had this problem with High Sierra beta. 

Thanks for posting this.  I created an account and a support ticket to confirm I'm seeing the same behavior on the latest (7523) version of eyetv and a late 2014 Mac mini on Mac OS X 10.13.2.  

It's getting harder and harder for me to continue using this software but I have two Elgato/Geniatech tuners (and a HD Homerun which is now out of the picture).  I've already had to move to another application to watch TV full screen but still like eyetv for iOS and DVR viewing.  If things don't improve by the time my TV Guide subscription runs out next June, I'll abandon the hardware and move away from eyetv completely.

Edited by veyetv

I have been using EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520) with High Sierra 10.13 on a mid-2010 macmini. I have never used either a TV or Apple remote. Video is sent by HDMI cable to a monitor in an adjacent room, and audio goes to the stereo system. Things are controlled by a wireless keyboard and mouse, with keystrokes that correspond to all the EyeTV controls. The only problem I have noticed is that EyeTV will quit unexpectedly sometimes during sleep, possibly due to s problem waking the computer to record. Tuner is an HD Homerun with rooftop antenna. Over the air, iTunes content, and streaming from the web all are handled by the same system.

Incidentally, this installation was via making a bootable clone of a drive running Mavericks (yes, Mavericks. It works fine.) with EyeTV installed, and then installing High Sierra over it from the appstore. I know they always say to do a clean install, but this way EyeTV kept its guide subscription and settings, and there was not a lot of fannying about migrating applications and tweaking settings and entering authorization codes. My main interest in High Sierra was that some things, like Hulu, work better on it. If it turns out to be a problem with EyeTV, I'll keep EyeTV and skip HighSierra and just boot up in it for specific purposes, like streaming Hulu. The High Sierra installation shares the folder with saved EyeTV recordings with the Mavericks boot drive, and as I said, the guide, so recordings done while in one OS are available in the other. 

To those who have an hdhomerun can I suggest moving to channels (available on Apple TV, web, chrome cast, firetv etc)

it works great with the homerun and depending on how fast the machine/nas is that you have the software installed on, it works well out of the house. 

As a long time eyetv user it’s sad to see its demise. 

Edited by bertie

Channels is only a partial solution because EyeTV users will want to play (on desktop and aTV) recordings made on their iMac. Geniatech should stop with their childish behavior and put back HDHomerun (2 and 4 channel version) on the list os supported devices.

Also because there are people who bought it under the Elgato brand.

Their behavior is childish because the only reason is to eliminate a competitor that sells better products than their own.

Personally I find TVHeadend and TV-Mosaic better replacements.

Edited by Ton

On December 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM, veyetv said:

Thanks for posting this.  I created an account and a support ticket to confirm I'm seeing the same behavior on the latest (7523) version of eyetv and a late 2014 Mac mini on Mac OS X 10.13.2.  

It's getting harder and harder for me to continue using this software but I have two Elgato/Geniatech tuners (and a HD Homerun which is now out of the picture).  I've already had to move to another application to watch TV full screen but still like eyetv for iOS and DVR viewing.  If things don't improve by the time my TV Guide subscription runs out next June, I'll abandon the hardware and move away from eyetv completely.

My problem exactly.  Lock ups in Full screen mode. Did you ever hear back about this problem?

i upgraded to High Sierra a few months ago and every thing seemed fine. But the lock ups in full screen have increased in frequency. Within 10 minutes of viewing usually. At least I know now it's full screen mode causing the problems so I can get through programs in a window.