pssonline

3.6.9 7521 breaks compatibility with HDHomeRun

Hi,

Has the recent 7521 update completely broken functionality with HDHomeRun tuners for any one else? Running the Setup Assistant shows no option for HDHomeRun at all under Network/IPTV. Installing 7520 does have HDHomeRun and runs OK. C'mon Geniatech, how'd this get through testing?

I fear that they have done this on purpose in an tempt to boost the sales of their own hardware. Typical short time thinking and disastrous in the long term.

Noted the same behavior. Previous versions had Setup Assistant showing HDHomeRun tuners listed as a Geniatch device, although HDHomeRun belongs to SiliconDust, which I always thought was odd (perhaps it used to own hdhomerun?).  Agree with Ton, this may be a strategic shift to the betterment of their bottom line. I didn't appreciate their update summary only saying only along the lines of "optimizes stability and functionality..." They could have warned us. I found the earlier 7520 version at https://www.geniatech.eu/support/eyetv-3-en, and it tested okay.  I attached the dmg downloaded from there to this post.  If for nothing else, to get their attention:D

EyeTV3.6.9(7520)20170730.dmg

Elgato has sold the HDHomerun for some time rebranded under their own name. Makes it more weird.

When Geniatech took over I had hopes that it would undo the error Elgato had made by killing off their forum. Alas, we have now again a forum but with even less support Thant the old original forum.

Luckily there are now alternatives (DVBlink, TVHeadend) although with less comfort than EyeTV.

Edited by Ton

Right, Ton - I now remember the elgato HDHomerun were associated. I don't see Geniatech advertisng  them anymore - that is I don't HDHomeruns on their webpage. What I do see for sale are DBV device; DBV isn't  broadcast where my antenna is.  Geniatech's site is in .eu domain, and they seem to be focused on the German market, and European DBV TV broadcast format. That said, I see EyeTV3 becoming an end-of-life risk. I could easily move on to something else, but I have yet to find an inexpensive video editor which will read comskip EDL files.

12 minutes ago, Steveo said:

I was incorrect in implying that Geniatech did not cater to the ATSC broadcast market. There is a geniatech.us site, which sells exactly one ATSC (N America) tuner.

Edited by Steveo

My email trail with support:

Me:  New version (7521) does not have HDHomerun on hardware list
Software now unusable!

Geniatch:  Thank you for contacting us.
We are just confirmed with the techs that they remove the hd home run and do not support it from the 7521 version of eyetv 3 software, so please use the 7520 version and it will work well with your product:
content/uploads/software/EyeTV3.6.9(7520)20170831.dmg

Me:  Why have they removed it?  And why was there no warning in the update notification?  Seems like very poor customer service!

Geniatch:  We are really sorry for the inconvenience.
It is te decision of our company and we can not control it, sorry to take the inconvenience to you.

.... so that's that then! 

Shame, as I haven't found any other software with the same ease of use and clarity of program guide.

Edited by AlanG

I hope the dropped support for HDHomerun tuners was an oversight that will be remedied soon.  If the dropping of support was deliberate, I hope the company will reconsider.

3 hours ago, KaijuTV said:

I hope the dropped support for HDHomerun tuners was an oversight that will be remedied soon.  If the dropping of support was deliberate, I hope the company will reconsider.

Since they write "It is te decision of our company" it clearly has been done deliberately so small chance they will revert it. Either go to the old version and stay there or start using different software (DVBlink, TVheadend, MythTV). Also Silicon Dust has software running a Mac that used their HDHR's.

Hi all,

Same problem here. Very dissapointed been using EyeTv for many years.

I managed to rescue version 7520 from the trashcan, (it is now backed up) but I recently noticed an increase in cpu usage with 7520. I was wondering if anyone could possible send me a copy of 7519. Maybe support is listening?

Anyways, I will be switching to Plex soon, as they are supporting HDHomerun tuners for live and DVR.

Good luck :-) 

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to see an update for EyeTV that has been quite unstable on Mac OS X High Sierra. But very rudely surprised to see that I can no longer use it with my only tuner, a HD Homerun. This is not good. I am very very disappointed. I would like to see an update for EyeTV that fixes the frequent hangs and crashes without removing support for tuners.

For those who have found an alternate solution. Can you share your experience with us?

Thanks,

Baskaran

I'm not sure I'd call either a solution as such as they don't have the UI or features of EyeTV as each currently stands, but DVBLink is available free (with emailed activation code) and SiliconDust also have their own macOS client software. Those aside, there's also Plex support for HDHomeRun tuners and server/NAS-based setups like TVheadend.

Calling a spade a shovel, I think it's absolutely atrocious we've been placed in this position, especially with no prior notification whatsoever.

I have no idea if it will help or not, but I think all of us should contact either EyeTV support or EyeTV corporate (anyone know how to do the latter?) and complain about the lack of HDHomeRun hardware support.

I don't think complaining in this forum is adequate. Do they even monitor the forums?

They may ignore our complaints, but if we don't try we'll for sure get no help.

I emailed support to see if the change was permanent. No response yet. But they still list the HDHomeRun tuner as compatible on the product page for EyeTV 3 so maybe there will be another update with the tuner back in it. 

On 11/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, jimmac said:

I have no idea if it will help or not, but I think all of us should contact either EyeTV support or EyeTV corporate (anyone know how to do the latter?) and complain about the lack of HDHomeRun hardware support.

I don't think complaining in this forum is adequate. Do they even monitor the forums?

They may ignore our complaints, but if we don't try we'll for sure get no help.

One thing we can do is to air the issue publicly on their social media accounts. I'd suggest posting to Geniatech on Twitter: @Geniatech_EyeTV

I will be doing that today.

On November 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Steveo said:

Noted the same behavior. Previous versions had Setup Assistant showing HDHomeRun tuners listed as a Geniatch device, although HDHomeRun belongs to SiliconDust, which I always thought was odd (perhaps it used to own hdhomerun?).  Agree with Ton, this may be a strategic shift to the betterment of their bottom line. I didn't appreciate their update summary only saying only along the lines of "optimizes stability and functionality..." They could have warned us. I found the earlier 7520 version at https://www.geniatech.eu/support/eyetv-3-en, and it tested okay.  I attached the dmg downloaded from there to this post.  If for nothing else, to get their attention:D

EyeTV3.6.9(7520)20170730.dmg

Thanks for posting the .dmg.  HDHomeRun does publish live viewing and recorder apps. So that's the desperation method. I though I got cut off at the knees there for a while.  Good to know about the 32-bit limit. Koz

Edited by Kozikowskig

I downgraded to 7520 to try and keep my HDHomeRun working, except I now discover after updating the OS that somehow despite having check for updates unchecked in the preferences it has atomatically updated 7522.

This is appalling behaviour. Frankly, I'd have paid a low annual fee for access to the software if anybody had asked. Instead, I suppose I'll need to check where my dad bought me my HD HomeRun from and ask for a full refund. I can't see how it's acceptable within UK or EU consumer law to discontinue support so rapidly for a purportedly supported device I had specifically asked for as a gift. It's not a cheap product.