pssonline

3.6.9 7521 breaks compatibility with HDHomeRun

Please re-instate support for the HDHomeRun tuner in the next update. Include it in the release notes so I will actually upgrade. If this is not remedied in the next update ASAP, then I will be forced to find an alternative software. It's not too late to correct a mistake.

I am glad reverting this "update" was an option. Something this drastic should have been in the release notes.

Since there have been two additional releases since it was broken I am not hopeful that they plan to restore HDHomeRun support, and the lack of official response to this problem further dashes my hopes.

On the other hand, on page 28 if their current EyeTV software manual they say support HDHomeRun (see below) so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope.

5a4a9a5097f10_ScreenShot2018-01-01at1_29_36PM.png.55bb0f13fd07e146ded978b8385f8512.png

This problem is sad.  But the problems with EyeTV on a Mac for US HDHomeRun tuners has increasing for years. Nothing new.

1- had the same problem with lack of support  for the HDHomeRun

2- I've had a problem with awful recordings with drops in the recordings for a year and a half.  Updates only made the problems worse.  This was the cause of me to dump the software.

3- Finding out that TV Guide would be tied to only one computer really was a nasty change for me.  I have three different computers around the house that were tied to different screens and one of those was dedicated to recordings only.  I would never pay for three subscriptions.

My solution was to ditch the EyeTV software.  Wow, I've used this software mostly reliably for a very long time since my original 200 hardware.  But, I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed using Plex since it has added DVR capability.  It's more autonomous, and therefore I don't spend the time I used to take in making sure all the commercials were trimmed correctly using Comskip.  At first, I could only get three recordings at once reliably, but it seems to be doing up to six just fine now.  And the interface is more family friendly than EyeTV.  I miss the controls for recordings that EyeTV has.  But maybe more options will be added in the future.

Good luck to everybody still sticking with EyeTV.  I'll keep checking in on the forum once in a while, to see if things have greatly improved.

For eleven years now I've been recommending EyeTV to anyone and everyone who will listen. I've lost track of the number of purchases that were due to my recommendation.

And my name is now mud, because Geniatech has decided with no warning to completely pull out of the North American market.

Well, now I know what to do the next time a Chinese company purchases a product I use!

I'm also stuck on 7520 until EyeTV works with HDHomeRun.

In January 2018, I just bought the new four tuner HDHomeRun box (HDHR5-4US) and noticed EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520) only finds two (of the four) tuner channels.  I need Geniatech to:

1. restore support for HDHomeRun network tuners in latest EyeTV releases

2. increase the EyeTV support for HDHomeRun tuner channels from 2 to (at least) 4

Thanks.

Edited by chuckles67

EyeTV has never been able to use more than 2 tuners of the HDHR-4's. And probably never will enable that because they rather sell their "crippled" Netstream 4C so the software is explicitly limited.

if you want to use all 4 decoders then only solution is to switch to a product like DVBlink which also has the additional advantage that it is able to record more than 4 stations at the same time as long as these are within the same 'bouquet'. Downside of DVBLINK is that it does not have the extended scheduling facilities like EyeTV has.

Edited by Ton

Actually the problem is worse. I haven't seen it in this thread, but EyeTV is 32 bit and Apple will soon stop supporting 32 bit:

"As a reminder, new apps submitted to the Mac App Store must support 64-bit starting January 2018, and Mac app updates and existing apps must support 64-bit starting June 2018. If you distribute your apps outside the Mac App Store, we highly recommend distributing 64-bit binaries to make sure your users can continue to run your apps on future versions of macOS. The last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromise is macOS High Sierra."

I'll have to start looking at alternatives.

@DHK

DVBlink (from dvblogic.com) is working on a complete overhaul of their product. The present version is less polished than EyeTV but it works fine and also on aTV.

I was able to restore a version of eyeTV that works with my HDHomeRun from my time machine backup.  Removing support for the wonderful HDHomeRun product once sold along with eyeTV means EOL for eyeTV for me.  The good thing is that it got me to look around at other software that supports the former Elgato/Silicon Dust HDHomeRun.

This has improved remarkably.  The HDHomeRun app on macOS and iOS has gone from a crude barely functioning application, to something slick and reliable.   If even offers DVR functionality bundled in with a subscription program guide.

The Channels app on Apple TV works really well and shares my 2 channel HDHomeRun hardware with eyeTV on macOS well.

It looks like Plex is going to be the solution for recording. I already use it as a media server.  DVR functionality is bundled with a program guide and other features.

Edited by rcpjr

Plex is easy and works pretty well. I don't like the program guide as well, but EyeTV is dead to the HD Homerun (for updates, and soon 64bit),  so I'm going to stick with plex and HDHomerun.

I did install Plex this weekend with a Plex pass ... it's pretty good :)  and properly supports my 3 HDHomerun connect Duo.

The program guide can me improved (they are working on it to provide a similar view as the EyeTV one, planned for Q2 2018).. so yea , if you have a HDHomerun .. Plex with Plex Pass is probably the way to go at this point. My only real issue is the lack of editing once the recording is done (to cut the part you don't want), but it's not a show stopper.

They are also working on adding Satellite support (including SAT>IP)... and they listen to their user.. and reply :) 

Bye bye EyeTV.

• Like 1

Man, this simply frustrates me. I've been a diehard EyeTV user since I bought my first firewire version what had to be close to 15 years ago! To DOA the HD HomeRun with no notice is just beyond excuse. One thing for certain, I've got two functional HDHR's, so I'm not giving up on them. That leaves my only option is to give up on EyeTV. If they  aren't going to be loyal, there's certainly no reason for me to be. I'm sure they won't shed any tears, so neither will I. I've tweeted my sentiments and facebook will be next. 

Unfortunately, I've downloaded the SiliconDust software for mac and am having great difficulty getting it to run. Hopefully that will be solved rather painlessly. 

There is a complete new version of DVBlink in development. However the present version should install with no problems. I suggest visiting their forum where you mostly will receive a solution same day. Mail also works very good.

A complete different company compared to Geniatech.

6 hours ago, Ton said:

There is a complete new version of DVBlink in development. However the present version should install with no problems. I suggest visiting their forum where you mostly will receive a solution same day. Mail also works very good.

A complete different company compared to Geniatech.

According to the DVBlogic website, DVBlink is dead. Doesn't leave it as much of an option in my mind. Haven't looked at their 'TvMosaic' things yet to see what that is. 

Actually, it appears that the TV Mosaic stuff is only for Europe. 

Edited by HOOSIERGUN

Didn't know they already launched the new version. Don't know whether this only works in Europe. Why not send them a mail and request a copy of old version. If you want it running on a Mac then you could DL the old version here: http://tvh.loginto.me:5555/sharing/7KUZMWwtM  

NB: if link does not work mail me then your IP so I can adjust the firewall.

Edited by Ton