Placebo

Do *NOT* Install Update: v. 3.6.9 (7521)

DON'T INSTALL UPDATE   V. 3.6.9 (7521)  !!!

ISSUE:  I think there's WAY TOO many issues affecting everyone differently, in multiple ways depending on the product and SW you have.  We have EyeTV 3 /pro... or whatever... and it knocked out ALL our reception.  

BTW - At least on Mac, when you update their app - the installer will automatically put the old version in the trash.  DONT trash it!!!  SAVE IT - just in case.  I did, and we're using that version until they figure out what's going on and provide an actual, reliable update.

Unfortunately, if you're here... reading the forums, most likely it's because you've already installed the update, looking for answers or solutions.  After our own personal experience with the update, and reading other's issues here, I highly recommend just waiting for an additional update or EVEN two - to wait for them to get all their bugs out.  I think they're trying to implement too many changes at once.  

I noticed after updating ours - they've added what looks to be some kind of online streaming content service.  But we lost ALL our local over air stations running.  When trying to flip through channels - only a blue screen that simply says, no reception.  

It wasn't until I was on Geniatech's site to send support a message, something mentioned about having to do an "auto scan" of ALL the stations, which will also mean... having to go through ALL the stations and deselecting ones we don't want.

What's worse about this is... ever since Geniatech's took over is their lack to include ANY kind of instructional text or instructions.  I've NEVER not seen a software developer not include even a basic "text file" if there were additional necessary actions needed to be taken for a successful, SIMPLE update.  Nope - NOT Geniatech!

MY ADVICE:   I would NOT install the update until THEY correct their errors, and not make you jump through hoops to correct them.  OR... you at least better double check and have all the necessary info BEFORE downloading and updating, because you'll still be luck if you get a straight answer.

REMEMBER!!   SAVE YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION!

I find it surprising that you wouldn't consult the user guide for your EYETV device, or  just download the User Guide which is posted their website. Doing a channel scan is not that big a deal, and takes maybe a minute or so. 

34 minutes ago, MacGuy52 said:

I find it surprising that you wouldn't consult the user guide for your EYETV device, or  just download the User Guide which is posted their website. Doing a channel scan is not that big a deal, and takes maybe a minute or so. 

A channelscan may take up to several hours!

I never understand that there are still people that do not save their system on regular interval or use Time Machine. Doing either gives the option to restore a previous working system. Best is making a clone of your system. Carbon Copy Cloner is perfect and worth its money.

Edited by Ton

On 11/14/2017 at 12:08 AM, MacGuy52 said:

Ton -

Seems there's no notifications for replies, as I didn't know about this one.  It also seems you found it easy to get on here and 'flame' ?  For what purpose, I don't know why?  My post was advice, warning, and information. 

It appears you merely assumed I had actually lost our list of channels.  The issue was, also, more complicated than merely wiping out your saved channels, or rescanning.  As I described, I was "going through" our channels, but only a blue screen would appear.  The problem, had you researched further, you'd find it was more than just re-scanning channels!

Point in case -  the ENTIRE reason the company immediately created a "fix" update, was because it was more than scanning channels!  Meaning - there WAS a problem with the update.

But regardless, as a responsible user - I had a backup, and knew also how to use the backup if it was necessary - just like in the event that happened.  I admit, I didn't try to do any exhaustive research on a minor update.  However, I generally, at the very least, check what's in an update (and I did)  however, why would I need to question an update in the first place - one created by "THE" developer?

As for your "suggestions".... I'd never check user forum's for pre-install info because for the most part - you'll find contradicting, or incorrect info, or simply useless.  Which brings me to your second (eh-em) "suggestion;  the user guide you suggested (which is ten years old) is going to tell you absolutely NOTHING about a current update. 

Enough said.  Just don't try to make your 'flame' look like you're trying to provide help.  There was nothing helpful about your post, besides the fact - like I mentioned - your info was basically... completely wrong regarding the issue at hand.

THE ACTUAL SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE:  Just skip to the next:  Version 3.6.9 (7523)

On 11/14/2017 at 12:42 AM, Ton said:

A channelscan may take up to several hours!

I never understand that there are still people that do not save their system on regular interval or use Time Machine. Doing either gives the option to restore a previous working system. Best is making a clone of your system. Carbon Copy Cloner is perfect and worth its money.

DUDE!  You are so right about channel scans!  

It doesn't take us hours, however, it DOES take a long time.  And besides - like I said... after you do a scan, which consequently adds "ALL" the channels it detects - you then have to go back through ALL those channels and delete any you don't want.

I *hate* having to flip the remote through 70 -100 channels, when more than half are garbage I'll never watch.  That's the luxury of EyeTV!  :-)  :-)    I can CHOOSE which channels I want to flip through.   :-)  Can't do that with our stupid cable service we use to have!  

On 11/19/2017 at 12:09 PM, Tom34 said:

You're welcome!  I hope the info helped.  I didn't want anyone else go through the hassle and frustration we had to.  Drove me nuts for a few days.

Funny though - now we're having a similar issue with (7623) the proceeding update.  Out of the blue... two of our most watched channels are gone!  I've done so many different types of scans, deleting channel scan lists, but the two either don't show in the scan, or if I revert back to a saved list - the screen show GREEN this time instead of blue.  BHAH hA!  So... the fun starts again.

Keep recording... and keep your scan data clean of bugs!   ;-)  ;-)

There is only 1 permanent solution to all EyeTV problems:

Trash EyeTV and switch over to DVBlink from dvblogic.com.

On 1.4.2018 at 12:45 PM, Ton said:

There is only 1 permanent solution to all EyeTV problems:

Trash EyeTV and switch over to DVBlink from dvblogic.com.

Full ACK!