terry althoff

eyetv 3.6.9 (7521) for mac does not include HD Homerun

I am using an HD Homerun with eyetv for 10-15 years and the last update eyetv 3.6.9 (7521) does not even give the option of selecting HD Homerun as your device. In other words I could not watch or record anything. I contacted support with no returned response. Very frustrated! I finally reinstalled (7520) to get it to work. Are they dropping support for HD Homerun?

• Sad 1

Saw the same behavior from the update as well as with support. I suspect they are. Geniatech bought Elgato early last year. Elgato used to license and sell HDHomeRuns so perhaps the relationship ended with the buyout. The Setup Assistant used to show HDHomeRun as an Elgato system. Also, there are other devices that are no longer listed with this new release. This release is the first (I believe) where the file name of the upgrade starts with Geniatech, vs Elgato. I can't say if  they are dropping it, but it seems like it.

• Sad 1

I finally got a response from Geniatech

Hi terry,

Thank you for contacting us.

We just confirme with the techs that they remove the hd home run and do not support it from the 7521 version of eyetv 3 software, so please use the 7520 version and it will work well with your product:
https://www.geniatech.com/wp-content/uploads/software/EyeTV3.6.9(7520)20170831.dmg

Kind regards,

Claire 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

Me : So you will never be supporting the HD Homerun again? All future updates will not work? So yo are telling me I should look for other software options?

Hi terry,

Thank you for contacting us.

It is the decision of our company that we do not support the HD home run anymore.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Claire 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

• Sad 1

Well this sucks .  I was able to use time machine to roll back to 7520.  I was a big fan of eye tv but not any more.  I will not spend another dime with Geniatech.  At least have the courtesy to in the update notes to tell us HD products will not longer work.  

EB

• Sad 1

Heads up that I found prior versions of Eye TV software after ferretting around the geniatech website... https://www.geniatech.eu/support/eyetv-3-en/ has multiple past versions and the 7520 build is at https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-3-6-9-7520/

Will download it tonight and install and see how it goes in getting the HDHR back.

Cheers,
Andrew

I also want to protest in the strongest terms about the dropping of support for SilconDust HD Homerun network based tuners - why Geniatech?  Why?

And why let, what must be thousands of users, find out when it breaks!  

At least explain to us the decision and do the decent thing and offer to refund the license fee?  You've just rendered eyeTV useless. 

• Sad 1

I share the frustration, additionally frustrating is the website still indicates it is supported.  I understand they can support whom ever they believe appropriate but at least recommend some alternatives, maybe heaven forbid a geniatech solution.  I understand if you are cutting out a competitor but with no alternatives that does not seem to be the case.  Can anyone recommend any OTA tuners that are supported by EyeTv 3?  Seems like marketing, engineering, and tech support need to get the same room and maybe have a conversation.

I was once blind but now I see it was a competitor issue I was confused in my previous post.  It appears that after a quick visit to the silcondust website that they now offer a FREE DVR app to go along with HD Homerun products (did notice a new Quad tuner).  So if using OTA, you can use Eyetv but get no channels or SilconDust for both hardware and software.  Seems a bit short sited on geniatech part, either you are proud of your software and it is worth the money over free software.  (I myself have been impressed with it for many years), BUT best software in world is worth zero without being able to receive channels.  BTW this is not an endorsement on the Silcondust DVR software I have not used it, YET.  Operative word, get your act together geniatech, please. 

Geniatech is not "cutting out a competitor" because many people have bought the HDHomerun directly from Elgato. So Geniatech tells its own customers to get lost.

15 minutes ago, eyetvuser said:

How do we get someone from Geinatech management to reply here so they can explain to us?

On this (https://eyetvforum.com/index.php?/staff/) page you see the names of all management. You can sent messages address to @ + their name and they will be signaled there is aa message for them.

I too am totally disappointed in the lack of information provided in the Release Notes in the update for EyeTV that now carries no support for the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun hardware.

It is not good enough Geniatech ... and I will be extremely hesitant to give the company any $$$$$ support or recommendation to my Apple Mac clients. 

It remains to be seen what will happen with the associated iOS side of things.

Very poor form Geniatech.

I haven't been too happy with the EyeTV software for a while.  I encounter bugs often and the updates don't come fast enough.

I've decided to give the HDHomeRun DVR software/subscription a chance.   I'll monitor the forum to see if Geniatech starts supporting my Homerun connect again.

I'd like to chip in as a former loval Eyetv user. Having experienced a continual lack of tech support and promise of HD version of Diversity stick, i have abandoned them. If you use HDHomerun can I recommend Channels TV? It works beautifully with the hdhomerun. (I use it with an ATV4) yes the subscription is a bit pricey but the software and support is just excellent. 

I've been using the HDHomeRun DVR software for a few days.  Functionality is ok.  It works.  The OSX version crashes frequently.  The iOS app works well.

Thanks for Channels TV tip.

yes that's the one. really cannot fault it. on ios and ATV4. streaming in hd on the LAN is almost instant. No waiting whilst eyetv converts files.

If you have HD Homerun then it really is a no brainer. If you have a NAS that does hardware/ software transcoding then perfect, if not, a comp that does it

Channels DVR works great with my HD HomeRun.   Installation/setup is easy.  The iPhone/iPad app is good also.

It is more expensive than other platforms I've tried.

I'll keep using Channels DVR until HDHomeRun DVR software is stable.

Well having only recently bought an HDHR Connect because Genitech still haven't released a dual-tuner DVB-T2 HD device, This is really annoying. Especially as the update notes (7522 - I missed 7521, but don't recall it mentioning anythng about this, either) didn't say anything about removing supported devices, only about adding legacy Elgato devices to the list. I've been really pleased with EyeTV despite the bugs, but Geniatech have just lost another customer. All the hopes that progress would be made once they bought it from Elgato have come to nothing.

Ironically I was holding off from upgrading my AppleTV3 until a working EyeTV app came out for it that had full funtionality like the iOS app. Now Channels and DVB-Link are looking very interesting!

Great thread as like others just found that my HDHomerun disappeared.  Only bought the HDHomerun as Elgato/Geniatech too slow getting DVB-T2 tuners out.

I could kind of live with it if they actually released the Netstream 4T that being mentioned several times.

Going to give it till Oct 2018 when my Guide subscription expires, then if no network dub-t2 tuner available then move elsewhere.

I've been running Channels DVR for approx 2 weeks.  It works great on my mac, iPhone and iPad at home and away from home.  It works so well I'm considering purchasing their appletv app.

Silicondust refunded my money for their DVR subscription with no questions. 

@Tim

Also check out DVBlink (DVBlogic.com). Good working aTV4 client, problem less Mac (& Win) version. Only negative (as compared to EyeTV) is the rudimentary scheduling ability although way advanced above Channels en Silicondust DVR. 

You can start with a complete free unlimited trial version.