terry althoff

eyetv 3.6.9 (7521) for mac does not include HD Homerun

Thanks for everyone for all the advice... very helpful.

In addition I have asked this question in the main "product" forum... let's see if EyeTB/Geniatech management replies or simply deletes the post!   Last chance time for them to offer apology and try to regain a little trust.

OK so you decided to stop supporting SiliconDust HD Homerun products in EyeTV (see this thread**) and strangely you didn't explain when you made this change what *YOUR* recommendation is if we want to continue to use the latest versions of EyeTV in North America / Canada with an antenna NOT cable.

I don't believe any of the hardware EyeTV sells works in North America / over-the-air (OTA/antenna), so what hardware do you recommend that you are committing to support for the next 5-10 years, that would allow anyone in a household to watch live TV from OTA/antenna on any device over wifi, *AND* allow EyeTV to act as a Mac based DVR?  (This is what SiliconDust HD Homerun provides with EyeTV software). 

** To be clear of course you can decide to stop supporting hardware by another manufacturer at any time.  That's your right.  But why not do it in a way that attempts to keep the trust between yourselves and the customers who chose, in good faith, to use your software with another manufacturer's hardware that at that  time you did support.  The *way* you let us know, means you've managed to upset a large number of customers.  We just discovered your decision when we did a normal upgrade, no warning, no apology, no announcement to give us time to (for example), buy a replacement for our SiliconDust products that *does* work with EyeTV.  In fact as far as I know you've not even made a recommendation of what you are suggesting HD Silicondust HD Homerun customers do - hence this post!  By the *way* you have handled this has reduced the trust that 1000's of customers have for you and your products to zero.  That's just *BAD* business / bad for profits - your shareholders / owners must be mad!

Ok so Geniatech have now partially explained their decision to drop support for some SilconDust products - specifically the Plus/Extend (HDTC-2US) - see this post to their FAQ.

But this explanation doesn't make sense to me - since you can turn off the MPEG-2 -> H.264 transcoding - and indeed mine has always been off.

So I have a follow-up question here in a new thread.  Hope  they choose to respond.

And perhaps I don't understand... love comments to the new thread.

They write that they still support the HDHomerun Dual. This is a big lie. Just check (in the latest EyeTV) which devices can be selected. There is no HDHomerun!

2 hours ago, Ton said:

They write that they still support the HDHomerun Dual. This is a big lie. Just check (in the latest EyeTV) which devices can be selected. There is no HDHomerun!

Good to know Ton - would be great if someone from EyeTV could comment!

Given that in Australia all the Free to air TV HD stations have moved to mp4 (which they say in the FAQ is something they don't support) and there are no MPEG2 streams left then EyeTV is dead in the long term (even without 64bit support).  Strange then that their tuners (EyeTV diversity fully supports mp4 in HD)

Hi, I contacted support when my HD HomeRun no longer worked with EyeTV 3. Yes they are not supporting Elgato or Silicon Dust devices. So use ver 3.9.6 build (7520). Then start looking for something else to take its place, Eyetv 3 that is.If you search around the internet you will fine people using a open source (free) replacement that includes a (free) open source EPG. Yes Genitech no longer support the EPG for north American users. Cannot update my EPG for the year 2019. No help from support, none. It's now 04/20/19.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:50 PM, Tim said:

I haven't been too happy with the EyeTV software for a while.  I encounter bugs often and the updates don't come fast enough.

I've decided to give the HDHomeRun DVR software/subscription a chance.   I'll monitor the forum to see if Geniatech starts supporting my Homerun connect again.

Hi, I am also interested in their HD HomeRun Software, keep in touch.