tomzer1

Wishlist Feature: Return Support for HDHomerun Tuners

Dear Geniatech,

Just a simple feature request; please return support for HDHomerun tuners in future updates to the EyeTV software. This support was deleted in the latest update without notice or warning to current EyeTV users with this configuration. Thus, the tuner hardware access was disabled, leaving users to figure out that a software roll-back was needed to get EyeTV working again.

I"ve been a fan of EyeTV for over 10 years, and was forced to get an HDHomerun for dual tuner support when ElGato left the US market. Please consider continued support for this configuration for US-based users if you're not going to introduce a dual-tuner product for the US.

EyeTV is an excellent product, and you showed great foresight in picking it up and continuing it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

EyeTV Diversity tuner is no longer available in Australia either so EyeTV is useless if my current device breaks.

They need to support the HDHomerun products unless they intend to introduce their own new tuners.  They also need to have 4 tuner support (like the new HDHomerun product).

• Thanks 1

I'm in the UK and only bought the HDHR Connect as Geniatech still don't make a DVB-T2 dual tuner device. I was hoping for a network tuner, but that's had no sign of anything happening.

So add my voice - return the functionality it had before, or release a dual (or more) tuner DVB-T2 HD device that works in the UK.

I have just returned to these forums after a prolonged absence, like the other posters here I was shocked to discover the latest update removed support for the HDHomeRun tuners. I had literally today received a new HDHomeRun Connect Quattro aka HDHR5-4DT as an 'upgrade' to my previous twin tuner HDHR4-2DT model. Both of these tuners I had bought because for literally years Geniatech have been promising their own network DVB-T2 tuner and still have not released one.

Having received my new HDHomeRun tuner as part of installing it I for the first time in a long time rebooted my Mac mini from its normal Windows7 back in to macOS to also update that side to connect the new tuner. Even though I have a full legal EyeTV license and various older Elgato tuners I normally use Windows Media Center via Boot Camp. It was therefore whilst updating the Mac side that discovered this terrible change. Fortunately the previous EyeTV version was merely moved to the Trash.

What I find particularly ironic is that whilst in the latest EyeTV version the list of network tuners no longer lists the HDHomeRun it does list a fictitious NetStream-T the long rumoured network DVB-T2 tuner.

I notice that a Windows version of EyeTV has been released. When you think about this, this makes some sense. Microsoft have discontinued Media Center so whilst it was in Windows7 and Windows8 it was not in Windows10. (EyeTV for Windows needs a minimum of Windows10.) However having had a quick look at the product page it does not appear to be anywhere near as good as Windows Media Center. Yes it does live TV, yes it does recording, yes it (allegedly) has smart series recording. What it definitely does not have is a full-blown '10-foot' user interface, also based on the Mac version of EyeTV one would be very dubious over its multi-tuner capabilities. Remember todays saga was initiated by my receiving a four tuner device which is working perfectly in Windows Media Center with all four tuners recognised and full intelligence over simultaneous recordings.

The two areas EyeTV for Windows might be better are support for H.265 channels - not an issue here in the UK and since there are none I have no idea if this would merely require having a suitable DirectShow filter in Windows, and the fact that Windows Media Center has never been able to decode the over-the-air EPG data if encoded in Huffman coding like all the UK HD channels are, EyeTV can decode these on the Mac.

(It should be noted that there has been a long outstanding bug in EyeTV over extracting DVB guide data with a HDHomeRun which now support for the HDHomeRun has been removed is unlikely to be fixed.)

I suspect even if Geniatech get round to shipping a network DVB-T2 tuner it may lack BDS driver support for Windows and therefore not be usable in Windows Media Center. This would put me off it.

One can hope the release of a Windows version of EyeTV might lead to renewed software development with new features and feature/bug fixes also being ported back to the Mac version.

I know there is still a lot of users of Windows Media Center despite Microsoft's best efforts. (Apart from not providing it for Windows10 Microsoft have also it seems deliberately and repeated sabotaged their own EPG data source.) Apart from people like myself running an older version of Windows specifically to keep Windows Media Center there is also a significant number who use a version of the Windows7/8 Media Center software hacked to run under Windows10. So, there is a potential market for a decent computer based Media Center solution.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:21 PM, tomzer1 said:

Dear Geniatech,

Just a simple feature request; please return support for HDHomerun tuners in future updates to the EyeTV software. This support was deleted in the latest update without notice or warning to current EyeTV users with this configuration. Thus, the tuner hardware access was disabled, leaving users to figure out that a software roll-back was needed to get EyeTV working again.

I"ve been a fan of EyeTV for over 10 years, and was forced to get an HDHomerun for dual tuner support when ElGato left the US market. Please consider continued support for this configuration for US-based users if you're not going to introduce a dual-tuner product for the US.

EyeTV is an excellent product, and you showed great foresight in picking it up and continuing it.

Thanks!

understand, lets take it that way, to do so, I need some input from you guys:

Option A) Eyetv Netstream 2DVB-C / 2 DVVB-T2 HD is ready, based on Sat>IP - but only support HEVC Decode on PC (Windows) + Mac (macOS)
Option B)  Good reason can be, if we get from HDHomeRun a official support notice - they have our contact details 

please answer here with Option A) or Option B)

@Mikyesun

Seems simple to me. Return HDHR support in EyeTV (v3 & v4) and extend usage to include the 4 tuner versions. Everybody will be happy then.