Granatn

EyeTV 3.6.9 (7522) Does not stop a scheduled recording at end of show

I also have this problem since updating to macOS 10.13.4 (I use the latest 3.6.9 (7524) eyeTV 3 build). I have used eyeTV for many years without any problems but now most of my scheduled recordings overnight don't stop until I wake up my Mac in the morning. I've fiddled with the sleep and night shift settings but that doesn't fix the problem. The strange thing is that a few overnight recordings work ok but most don't. Reverting to earlier eyeTV build doesn't seem to be the way to go from what I read in this forum.

Suggestions anyone?

I too am experiencing this issue running macOS 10.13.6, EyeTV 3.9.4 (7524). It seems to be intermittent: some scheduled recordings work, some don't. This issue only appeared when I updated my mini to 10.13. When it fails, the recordings continue until I lwake up the mini. Also, when it's in this state, I cannot connect to EyeTV from my iPhone or iPad - they "see" the mini, but when I try to connect, it hangs (says "Connecting..." forever). 

I gave up trying to get EyeTV too work on 10.13

Despite what Geniatech say it simply doesn't work reliably and they seem to have no interest in fixing the application

I went back to running EyeTV 3 on an old MacMini with 10.12 and it has been completely stable

EyeTV 3 is as good as abandonware since Elgato sold it to Geniatech. An absolute shame as I have used the hardware and software since first released and recommended it to many of my friends. Not any more

I remembered that one thing to always check is trying to use a different user account. So I logged out of my normal account, logged in into another account and scheduled an overnight recording. This worked perfectly. But I only tested it once. Can anyone else please test this?

My normal account has "standard" rights whereas the other account has "admin" rights. Apart from that, there are some differences in the user agents.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:17 PM, Doctor Mac said:

I tested with EyeTV 3.6.9 build 7524 on a Netstream 4SAT with firmware 1.1.0.402r1-V1.

Updates: The problem did not happen during my sevral tests. 

I was listening to iTunes with the display off and noticed it paused after a certain period of time. So I tried finding a fix and found that using caffeinate also works for EyeTV. I've tested it a couple of nights so far.

KeepingYouAwake and Caffeine work on High Sierra and use Apple's built-in caffeinate command line utility which prevents your Mac from entering sleep mode. I'm guessing that has something to do with recordings continuing past their set duration until you put the display back on and they stop.

Download and more info:
https://github.com/newmarcel/KeepingYouAwake
http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine

Hi ABC123,

Your post helped me to nail down the cause of the issue. Now I can reliably reproduce it following these steps:

• Program a recording of – let's say – 1h 30m.
  • In System Preferences/Energy Saver, set "Turn display off after" to a value below 1h 30m and uncheck "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off"
  • Put the computer into sleep mode

This will result in an "endless recording" until I wake my computer manually.

There is one – very interesting – exception: Should another process be active at the end of the programmed recording which prevents the computer from going to sleep (you can check this in the process list of Activity Monitor), the recording stops normally. The same holds true if you use your computer at the end of the programmed recording.

In my case, a backup process for a cloud backup service (Arq backup to Backblaze) sometimes would run during the recording which led to normal recordings.

Summary: The issue occurs if EyeTV is _the only process_ preventing the computer from going to sleep at the end of the recording.

Please test an confirm.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 09.42.42.png

Edited by Doctor Mac

I have the same problem and it doesn't matter if I use Gracenote or XMLTV.  I'm not going to renew Gracenote as it is now a rip off.  Is anyone interested in investigating a class action lawsuit against Geniatech and Elgato?

Edited by OldGoat

My problems with overrunning scheduled recordings, which were pretty much constant until recently, have disappeared since updating to macOS Mojave (now on 10.14.1).  

Same observation here. Just upgraded my main machine to Mojave and went directly to 10.14.1. Scheduled recordings appear to work again. And the computer goes back to sleep afterwards. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the issue is really solved.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, OldGoat said:

I have the same problem and it doesn't matter if I use Gracenote or XMLTV.  I'm not going to renew Gracenote as it is now a rip off.  Is anyone interested in investigating a class action lawsuit against Geniatech and Elgato?

I suggest that you better put your energy in "voting with your feet" meaning looking for alternatives like TV-Mosaic or TVHeadend. Both for to use.

1 hour ago, Ton said:

I suggest that you better put your energy in "voting with your feet" meaning looking for alternatives like TV-Mosaic or TVHeadend. Both for to use.

Thanks Ton.  I'll have a look but I'm kind of doubting it can do 4 recordings simultaneously.  

Both do much more recordings simultaneously. With either I sometimes record up to 8 stations. Have no deep knowledge on the technical stuff but it has to do that with DVB-C a number of stations are bundled in a single transmission. EyeTV only records one of these stations while others record  the bundle and then select what you have chosen.

Tryit out. Both are available fully unlimited at no cost.

I'm using my macbook with an external screen connected via HDMI (its a macbook pro retina 2013).

(Also I'm using an external USB dirve connected directly to the left USB port. I dont know if this is related to the topic).

Scheduled recording works only when either

the monitor connected to HDMI is on and not in power saving mode

or if

the macbook is opened so that the internal screen is on.

If I want to do scheduled recordings while I'm sleeping in the same room I open the mac then I switch off the external screen, the I use the F1 and F5 keys until everything is dark.

hth

someone

Edited by Someone

On 11/16/2018 at 9:31 PM, Ton said:

Both do much more recordings simultaneously. With either I sometimes record up to 8 stations. Have no deep knowledge on the technical stuff but it has to do that with DVB-C a number of stations are bundled in a single transmission. EyeTV only records one of these stations while others record  the bundle and then select what you have chosen.

Tryit out. Both are available fully unlimited at no cost.

Hi Ton, Sorry, went away on hols to States.  Back now and looking at TVheadend.  No executable for Mac and don't see any instructions to compile.

5 hours ago, Ton said:

TVheadend only runs on NAS/Linux. TV-Mosaic is available for almost any platform.

Have TVMosaic installed but not running.  Managed to get channels scanned and can watch them but EPG and recording a complete mystery.  Severe lack of documentation.

They have a good working forum and also they replay Quickly to e-mails sent to them. Full EPG is a paid function but most DVB-C have a Free limited one contained.