MacFan99

Newbie needs advice

Just started using EyeTV 3 with one of the Elgato hybrid sticks and wondered if anyone can help.  I'm on OSX Sierra 10.12.6 with the current version of EyeTV3.

My intention is to use it for recordingsof DTT  in the UK.

1.  Can someone tell me where EyeTV stores the record files?

2.  Are they in a standard format or proprietary?  In either case what format is it?

3.  How do I get from that format to mp4/m4a?  What software would be best to accomplish this with ease at the best quality? 

4. The recorded programmes will be stored on a domestic NAS box for access with either iTunes or VLC and an Apple TV.  Any likely snags with this?

Sorry for all the questions but like I say I'm new to this and hopefully I can save a lot of trial and error.

OK I've worked some of this out but still have some queries.

Where are the actual recordings stored?  There is an EyeTV folder within Library/Application Support but this doesn't offer any clues, unless they are stored within the app itself and have to be exported as a file for viewing by VLC or other app.  

Is this correct?

1.  Default location is in your "Documents" folder, see folder EyeTV Archive". But you can decode the location yourself. Just take a look at the Preferences of EyeTV. From the stored location they can be directly played. Default EyeTV is started for that. Logical and why use VLV for that (although you could).

2. What you see are actually packages. But for playing back that makes no differences. Nearly every program is smart enough to solve it.

3.  Use (free) handbrake. It delivers not only better but also very much faster converted movies into and for all purposes.

4.  They are regular folders/files so no NAS should have problems.You can even instruct EyeTV to use the NAS as the location as mentioned in point 1.

Hi Ton:

Thank you for the reply.  I was assuming the default location would be in ~/Application Support/EyeTV  and didn't think of looking in the Documents folder.  

The recordings have the extension .eyetv   I've just tried relabelling one with the extension .m4v and this will play nicely using VLC on my Apple TV.  Given this is the case, why would I need to use Handbrake?  I have used it before for ripping DVDs to .mp4/.m4v format and agree it is an excellent program.  

Are there any other programs apart from the EyeTV app that will edit these files directly? I just want to trim the beginning and end and to remove any advertisements during the program.

Thanks again for the help.

The <filename>.EyeTV is not a file but a (kind of) folder (called a Package). So do not rename the extension. It is really a folder and the files reside within. Do a RightClick and select "Show Package" and then it will reveal all the files. There will always be a <crypticnumber>.mpg and sometimes <crypticnumber>.m4v (of mp4). That are the real files.

Now, if you want to convert the movie to another format. HB will only need the topname (= package = <filename>.EyeTV). It will be able to select the right file and give it the correct name.

HB is perfect for converting DVD. Just put the DVD file in as source, HB will find the most likely movie on the DVD (but you can override manually), for everything there is set a default and leave it at that until you either have the knowledge or need to differ. To be clear, all that junk on DVD like warnings, trailers and more are omitted by default but you can see them if you want. Just do it and you will know within 2 DVD's how it works.

For playing a movie, again no need to go inside the package. Just double click and EyeTV will start playing and you can stop, forward, backward, jump, etcetera.

Editing can be done also from within EyeTV. DoubleClick (just like when you want to play it from the list. When play starts press "Ctrl+E" (better stop with spacebar automatic playback). Now you see the movie within a Window and there are controls to set cutting points. Remember all you dos is destructive and there is no fallback.

All this can be found in the manual that you can DL from the website where it is hidden somewhere in cellars far, far away maybe even in a different galaxy. We don't want everyone finding out the good things of EyeTV because that would certainly arouse much more question. </sarcasm>

PS: you can also (first a conversion is needed) with iMovie or even Quick Time Player.

I relaised afterwards that it was actually a package format, but surprisingly with a little help VLC sorted it out.  Since it played OK on the computer I assumed it will also do so from the NAS, but the NAS being Linux based doesn't do the package format: if it does it's not in the same way that OSX deals with them.  VLC on the AppleTV did play it though which is surprising.

When play starts press "Ctrl+E" (better stop with spacebar automatic playback). Now you see the movie within a Window and there are controls to set cutting points. Remember all you dos is destructive and there is no fallback.

That is really good advice so perhaps to work on a duplicate copy would be best.

Yes I agree they keep the manual well hidden :-)

Thank you for all the help.

One other point.  When using the editor, the gearwheel menu - bottom right - remains greyed out after I've deleted a clip so i can't compact and finally discard the unwanted clips.  Is this a bug or possibly a permissions problem?

Checked it and don't have that problem. You could have a problem is you have moved the "EyeTV Archive" location. In that case go to that location click right on the EyeTV Archive location and set that folder so that you have permission. Do not forget to check the bottom Cogwheel to let the change be done on all in the folder.

Not sure what's happening.  I originally installed from an admin account and then run as user which is my normal practise.  I fully deleted and then reninstalled, this time from a user account but using admin privileges but to no effect.

EyTV permisions are :  User (me) read/write: admin read/write: everyone read only

Permisions on the clip folder are:  User (me) read/write:  staff read only: everyone read only

I'm not an expert but I don't see anything obviously wrong with those.  

Rule (mine, that is) 1: never change permissions when using different users. Get's too complicated.

For now: just go (as administrator, hope you only have 1), right click the "EyeTV Archive" (assuming it is now in a place where you want it and you already defined that place in EyeTV's preference) and set all three to "read/Write" and click "change all in the cogwheel. This may not be the "purist" Linux way to do it but will work and prevent many problems.

I've tried that - changing all permission to read/write for everyone, so now the world and his dog should be able to modify the EyeTV recording.  Still the gearwheel menu remains greyed out so I cannot compact any modifications made to the file.  

Obvously I'm doing something wrong but at present I can't see what it is.  Perhaps best if I do some more test recordings and play with them as by now the file I've been working on may have become corrupted.  I'll get back to the forum and let you know what happens.

I see this conversation is quite old but on a similar topic when I "Export" an eyeTV file for use on my Apple TV, where does it go and how can I change/control where it goes.  Thank you.

Thom 

Eagle River, Alaska