Stuff

Apple to drop 32 bit support so EyeTV needs updated

Reported on the Mac forums: The next minor update to macOS High Sierra is going to start warning about 32 bit applications.  eyeTV is still 32 bit.

Geniatech has some time.  Might or might not work with next big release this fall but Apple is warning that the current macOS High Sierra will be the "last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromises."

Another nail in the coffin.  Even if they do update the software, it won't help if they don't include HDHomeRun support.

Ditto that. Time to ditch 32-bit and focus on improvements as the application for macOS is in dire need of an update. I've been using EyeTV products on all my systems since 2008 but I'm disappointed in the lack of quality control and focus, especially as it is the only interface/application to run EyeTV products. I've recommended and even gifted EyeTV products over the years, however I'm seriously reconsidering whether to stay with your products or find better alternatives if things do not improve. 

• Thanks 1

Same here! Using EyeTV since 2005 and I was always happy with EyeTV when it was from Elgato. Geniatech seems not to be able to develop the product line. The least I would expect is a 64-Bit Version of EyeTV. But we will see...

I don't expect any 64bit or version 4, Geniatech is just out fasing all EyeTV - now is everyone streaming tv.

Yes it was much BETTER when Elgato was in charge.

I sure hope that I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

"BETTER when Elgato was in charge." Not really.

My EyeTV box died a couple of years ago and when I called checking on warranty, Elgato told me that they were discontinuing support. I was able to get a used one on eBay.

At least Geniatech has recently released a software update. That provide hope that they still have people employed who could put out a 64 bit version.

The problem is that not producing a 64 bit version will lose them some customers that they will probably lose anyways, if they proceed to a full streaming philosophy without the ability to record and edit.  Producing a 64 bit version probably will not generate much revenue unless they charge existing customers for the upgrade, which will alienate some customers. Unless they realize that that they have a user base that will stick with them as long as they support their users!

Well, I just finished installing version 3.6.9 and discovered that it eliminated support for ATSC tuning (ATSC is the digital television standard used in the United States, Canada, South Korea, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.).

So a 64 bit version probably won't do me any good.

I suppose I could plug the eyeTV into a decade old MacBook that can't update the the new MacOS, but that would be only a temporary fix. So, I'll continue to look for other alternatives.

If Geniatech monitors this forum, would you consider giving me the source code for EyeTV version 3.6.8 (the latest ATSC version) in exchange for a percentage (to be negotiated) of the Apple Store sales that I make with a 64 bit version?

On 3/19/2018 at 1:17 PM, CaptTee said:

Well, I just finished installing version 3.6.9 and discovered that it eliminated support for ATSC tuning (ATSC is the digital television standard used in the United States, Canada, South Korea, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.).

Must be something more specific broken.  I am using 3.6.9 (7520) with an HDHomerun getting ATSC over the air.

On 16.3.2018 at 9:04 PM, Gnyffe said:

I don't expect any 64bit or version 4, Geniatech is just out fasing all EyeTV - now is everyone streaming tv.

Yes it was much BETTER when Elgato was in charge.

I sure hope that I'm wrong.

Version 4 for Win is officially announced - so what might that mean for the mac?

This is the translation.  Possibly encouraging for a version for Mac.

eyetv 4 windows brings the highest quality television to notebook and PC

Press release No. 05/2018

With eyetv apps for Apple and Android devices eyetv became the standard for television in the digital world. With eye tv 4 windows now comes the version for Microsoft Windows.

Aachen, 09.04.2018 TV with Windows in the best eyetv quality. With eye tv 4 windows, a high-quality Windows application completes Geniatech's eye tvplatform. With it, the current television program in conjunction with the popular Eyetv tuners Geniatech on Windows PCs and notebooks play, pause and record. This is the equivalent of the proven eye tv apps that work well with Geniatech's eye tv receivers on Mac and iPad, iPhone and Android devices .

TV reception on all channels

Whether satellite, cable or digital terrestrial television: eye tv 4 Windows brings the best picture quality in a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels and the repetition rate of 50 frames per second (1080p / 50) on the display. The Windows app also supports the HEVC decoding of DVB-T2 HD in conjunction with eye tv T2 Hybrid, T2 lite and T2 Lite Windows Edition, ie terrestrial antenna via terrestrial antenna. In combination with eye tv netstream 4Sat and 4C, the Windows computer is able to receive the TV program directly via the home network via wireless or cable without any additional accessories.

Shipments at any time

With eye tv 4 windows, the viewer not only brings the running program to the PC or the notebook, but he can also interrupt the program with a single mouse click in the event of interruptions or save by recording the stream of the TV post to later with a other application to play or even edit. Here, the user can comfortably and clearly capture and control the selection and programming of his recordings via an electronic program guide.

Eye TV Smart TV Platform

For the realization of the new Windows app, Christian Hackbart, the well-known programmer of DVBViewer, supported the eye tv team. The focus was on the user-friendly integration of the Windows program into the smart TV platform of eye TV , which brings together the various aspects of television enjoyment with high-quality technology.

Mike Decker, Geniatech's European General Manager, commented on the launch of eye tv 4 windows: "After setting standards for digital TV with our eye- TV apps for Mac OS, iOS and Android, it was a big challenge to catch up with Windows machines , I am glad that with Cristian Hackbart we have a developer on board, with whom we can continue the convincing quality lines of our eye tvproducts on Windows. "

The developer Christian Hackbart adds: "After successfully running DVBViewer on Windows PCs for 15 years, I was pleased to work with Geniatech. Here I was able to contribute my knowledge to eye tv 4 windows, thus enriching the in-house Smart TV platform. "

Some information on EyeTV 4

Highlights

• Enjoy live TV on the Windows PC & Laptop, pause, fast forward and rewind
  • Look for different criteria in the electronic program guide
  • Record a show or an entire season
  • Including 4 weeks of eyetv plus for free!

Watching TV live on the PC

Turn your PC into the coolest TV in the house. Pause the running program to get a snack. Rewind to watch a scene in the movie again. Suggest when advertising starts. Float the TV window above any other open windows so you can watch your favorite movie while surfing the web. Or watch two programs simultaneously via picture-in-picture.

In the work and living room

You can sit at your desk and navigate the mouse in the resizable eyetv 4 windows window. Through the luxurious eyetv 4 windows on-screen menu you can easily zap through the program, see through the electronic program guide and operate the eyetv 4 windows menu.

epg-1-0-648x403.png

Integrated electronic program guide (EPG)

eyetv 4 windows provides you with an up-to-date overview of all upcoming programs.

Organize stations

eyetv 4 windows provides detailed information about each receivable TV station. By dragging and dropping, you can group your favorite stations in a freely identifiable channel group, or better, arrange your favorite stations according to categories such as sports, news, feature film and so on. Eyetv 4 windows displays the associated program information (EPG) for each station list. Ideal for travelers is the eyetv 4 windows option to save the station list after a channel search. Thus, the user can simply watch TV in different places by calling up the station list stored for the location. A new station search for a change of location is then eliminated.

Record the program you are watching

The show you are watching is worth recording? No problem. eyetv 4 Windows offers the option to also "record the past" if it is present in the live buffer.

You can still pause, fast forward or rewind the live program while recording

aufnahmen-1-482x191.png
eyetv4windows

Record future broadcasts

If you want to schedule a recording, simply use the automatic recording function via the EPG.

Record a whole series

If you select "Intelligent EPG", eyetv 4 windows can create a Smart Serial EPG that will automatically record the entire season of the TV series. To save space on your hard drive, you can also tell your Smart Serial EPG how many episodes to keep.

smart-epg-serie-aufnehmen-1-482x300.png

Dolby® Digital Sound

eyetv 4 windows can play and record Dolby® Digital Sound, including 5.1 surround sound, if available.

eyetv-eyetv-3-dolby-digital.jpg

eyetv-eyetv-3-full-hd.jpg

Excellent picture quality

Only eyetv 4 windows offers excellent image quality and is also capable of Full HD TV with processor and memory-saving optimized decoding of DVB-T2 HD HEVC H.265 on the PC with Windows 10, Intel Core i5 CPU at 2.5 GHz or higher play. In addition, EyeTV supports subtitles and picture-in-picture (PiP).

Technical information

System Requirements

• windows 10 or newer
  • an Intel i5 processor or AMD Ryzen at 2.5 GHz
  • at least 4 GB of RAM
  • a suitable television receiver

HDHomerun is not in the list of supported devices. So what is the use of a version 4 when the most sold device is not supported?

• Like 1

Nice to know that there is a Windows-Software called EyeTV 4. But it would be very important just to make a 64-Bit version of EyeTV otherwise Geniatech will lose a significant Number of users as soon as macOS 10.14 will be available. 

On 4/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, ThoSchl said:

Nice to know that there is a Windows-Software called EyeTV 4. But it would be very important just to make a 64-Bit version of EyeTV otherwise Geniatech will lose a significant Number of users as soon as macOS 10.14 will be available. 

Maybe it's their goal.  🤓

I hope they are smart and support the full range of HDHomerun but I am afraid that they will not.

If no support for HDHR I will switch fully to either TV-Mosaic (former DVBLink) or TVHeadend. Presently I use both and am very content with it.