Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

On 5/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, MZB said:

I second those thanks -- mc2xml v1.7.2 did the trick for me too on Sierra.

Anyone know if it works with High Sierra?  I'm using a 2011 Mac Mini so High Sierra is the end of the line, but I've been afraid to update past Sierra now that everything is working.

And looking back, three years ago I tried High Sierra 10.13 and EyeTV3 3.6.9 (7520) on my Mac mini (Mid 2010), the up and down arrows on the remote stopped functioning, and any time I selected the on-screen guide, EyeTV3 crashed, so I ended up reverting to OS Sierra. (Newer versions of EyeTv don't support my Silicon Dust Tuner.)

I wrote a python script that gets an xml file of my listings. I see from the scripts very nicely shared above, that opening EyeTV with such an xml file causes the program to parse it and populate its data in the in-program guide. But, do you know whether I can just store the xml file in some directory on the computer so that EyeTV just accesses the data from there? I'm using a Mac. Once I get this working, I can share the script.

• Like 2

Anyone else having trouble with Schedulesdirect.org and mc2xml?  I set things up a couple of years according to Wisconsin Eric's great instructions and it's been working great ever since until now (with a slight hiccup when mc2xml stopped working before somebody found an updated version).  I'm on High Sierra with EyeTV 3.6.9 build 7528.

However, I just noticed the program guide has not been updating ... it's pretty much blank after today which means it probably stopped working around the beginning of October.

I went to schedulesdirect.org and saw the following notice:

Effective 2022-10-01, the Schedules Direct service will be requiring that the user token be presented for most interaction with our servers. If you are running NextPVR v6 or EPG123 v1.7.1.8 or higher then this will re-enable image downloads.

If you are a developer, please check the updated API documentation. You may also contact grabber@schedulesdirect.org if you would like to have your requests steered to a “debug” server while you are testing the addition of the token to your code.

I'm thinking that must be the problem or else the timing is just too coincidental.  Unfortunately I have no idea what a user token is or how to fix this issue.

Anyone?

I'm replying to my own question (above).  There is a new version of mc2xml that solves the problem.  I found out by checking the forums at schedulesdirect.org, which is probably where I should have looked in the first place!

The new version is available for Mac, Linux, and Windows by going to http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ -- strangely, this link goes to an old website at archive.org, but if you scroll down to the downloads section, you'll get the latest version (1.7.2).  Apparently the downloads are hosted in a Dropbox and are still being updated!  I'm gonna send that developer a donation!

Just as a reminder, on MacOS you have to turn the download into an executable.  Here's how (copied from info compiled by others in this forum):

1. move mc2xml from your downloads folder to the scripts folder
  2. open "Terminal" from your "Utilities" folder which is inside your "Applications" folder. type "cd ./scripts" to navigate to the scripts folder. Then type "chmod 755 mc2xml" so that mc2xml is recognized as an executable.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Betina Jessaen said:

I started afresh took a while but everything is back to normal

he new Mini is still in the box but working with it is "up to bat" for this weekend. It has the 6-core i7 processor, the  1Tb SSD storage, and 16 Gigs of RAM so I'm expecting it to blaze compared to its nearest (Late 2023) predecessor with a 1Tb "fusion" drive. Never thought I'd pay $2,000 for a Mini though <gasp>, but at almost 80 nearly ancient years, it is likely to be my last!. I am determined to configure it with 'EYEMISSELGATO's' successful "schedules direct" guide solution using the "how-to's posted awhile back. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Hello

I'm a french user of EyeTV3 running on an old mac mini.
Since few month my TV Guide won't update whereas my subscription is not expired

Any chance to get it back ? 

I tried 3.6.9 with different build without success, on last build I had a problem with timing before and after program set to 30 minutes who was not repected so I'm using 7523

Sorry for my bad english

Regards

• Like 1

As the Program Guide has not worked since at least August 2022 and many users have reported the issue to Geniatech and it remains unresolved with no apparent communication to users, would this approach from 2019 work with current versions of EyetV whether version 3 or version 4?  Like a lot of users I am using  MacOS 10.15.7 and have not updated to 11.x, 12.x or 13.x of the Mac OS.  I really hope Geniatech updates eyetv or opens it up to other epg sources.  I would like to renew my geniatech epg subscription soon as it will expire this spring but I do not have much confidence and I feel like i would be throwing money away if buy a new subscription when it has not worked for over half a year.  Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, RGG said:

As the Program Guide has not worked since at least August 2022 and many users have reported the issue to Geniatech and it remains unresolved with no apparent communication to users, would this approach from 2019 work with current versions of EyetV whether version 3 or version 4?  Like a lot of users I am using  MacOS 10.15.7 and have not updated to 11.x, 12.x or 13.x of the Mac OS.  I really hope Geniatech updates eyetv or opens it up to other epg sources.  I would like to renew my geniatech epg subscription soon as it will expire this spring but I do not have much confidence and I feel like i would be throwing money away if buy a new subscription when it has not worked for over half a year.  Any thoughts?

EyeTV Version 3 permits use of any standard EPG (electronic program guide) formatted source; it does NOT have to be through a Geniatech provided source. I can tell you for a fact that it works with XML TV Listings (https://www.xmltvlistings.com/) out of Ottawa, Ontario, which covers North America. At $19.95 a year, with automatic renewal built in, it's a bargain (I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied customer). I've been using this without incident since the US TV Guide source was abruptly terminated in January 2019. I collected other people's info and my own experience to write up detailed instructions for setting up Eye TV to use this service; it is tricky but I've never had to fix anything once it was up and running in 2019 and I watch and record a lot of TV programs. These instructions are still posted somewhere on this site, and XML TV Listings asked me for permission to post, so it's on their site also. Since EyeTV 3 is 32-bit software, I have kept my Mac Mini used as a media center permanently at OS 10.14.6. Given the poor customer reports on EyeTV 4, and the fact that EyeTV 3 is an outstanding and mature piece of software running virtually perfectly, I could see no reason to go through the pain and agony of upgrading (I have several other computers running OS 12, but my understanding is EyeTV 3 will not run on anything later than OS 10.14). It should be possible for you to get an inexpensive older Mac Mini, erase it and reinstall OS 10.14, and run EyeTV 3 on it. An Apple dealer I patronize gave me instructions on how to erase a Mac and install an older OS; they are still available on an Apple web site that is not publicized. You notice I haven't said anything about Geniatech here; I've written them off, sad because EyeTV is great software that they apparently lack the technical knowledge to upgrade. Hope that answers your questions.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RGG said:

I have used the other  EPG provider Schedules Direct for years, and it still works great. There are many posts about how to use it, I put some consolidated instructions on other parts of this blog, too. Wisconsin Eric's may be easier, but I had already set Schedules Direct up for the previous outage and went back to it again after the current outage. It works on my older mac mini running Mojave and EyeTV 3. I haven't been able to get it working on my Mac Studio running EyeTV 4. Maybe the XMLTV setup would work on Ventura, I haven't tried that. Good Luck! 

Very encouraging feedback.

I received an email response from Geniatech today that indicates the EPG issue will be resolved with a future update.  I still have a mac mini running version 3 so I will try to get the xmllistings working there first using the instructions posted elsewhere in the eyetv forums.

I am also looking into nextpvr and whether it will work with eyetv hd or hauppauge hardware that I also have.

I am not giving up on eyetv and I still hope Geniatech will continue to update and support.  I would be a very happy customer and I will order more licences if they do.

Thanks for replying.

If you want to access the guide for using xmltvlistings, it is also posted on their web site under the Help tab; you don't need an xmltvlistings account to access it: https://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

It looks formidable if you glance at it, but I wrote it up so if you are patient and take it step by step, and follow instructions exactly, you'll have a maintenance free EPG for EyeTV v.3.6.9. I can't speak to EyeTV 4, since I have never used it, given that v. 3 works fine.

• Thanks 1