Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

Ok I might have figured out the Automated Calendar thing. In automator you need to select bin/bash shell at the top. In calendar I set the end time to something way in the future thinking this was how long I wanted it to repeat. I guess calendar doesn't have limits for how long you want something to repeat. It goes from now to forever unless I delete it. 

2 hours ago, Russ One said:

If my MacMini goes to sleep, sometimes that happens while holding a button too long on the Apple Remote, when it gets woken up the Apple Remote (actually EyeTV) is all goofed up...

The volume does not work properly and scrolling thru recording will produce a clicking sound and the volume will go up and down. The only way to fix it is to restart EyeTV.

I see. I've always used a wireless mouse and keyboard to control EyeTV.

Is anyone still using OS X 10.6.8?  When I run the mc2xml command, it takes me straight back to the command line with no errors or files being created.  I'm wondering if my OS is too outdated to run this program but can't confirm.  The OS requirements aren't listed on the mc2xml website.

If you have been playing around with the mc2xml scripts with different attributes (e.g., you start out the the fairly standard -T attribute but want to switch to the -J JSON version to get season/episode data and two weeks of programs), be sure you delete the mc2xml.dat and xmltv.xml files in the scripts folder before running the new version. I had problems making the transition initially, but deleting those files did the trick. I then checked mc2xml.dat's contents and found that it stored the name of the numeric lineup I had selected when running the -J script manually the first time (so that it doesn't have to prompt you again for the lineup number, allowing you to automate running the script thereafter). 

I'm thrilled to say (hope I'm not boasting) that with the -J format, slimmed down processing with mc2xml.chl I detailed earlier, and Automator/Calendar for automated daily updating, my ancient eyeTV HD box, current software, and Schedules Direct listings have me back to nearly full speed (the listings details aren't always as complete as TVGuide). It has been quite a journey in this forum, starting out with TitanTV and ending up with JSON from Schedules Direct. After letting it run a few days, I'll sign up for the subscription.

The question looms: How long before the eyeTV software breaks with a MacOS X update? Another bridge to cross in the future.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, veyetv said:

Is anyone still using OS X 10.6.8?  When I run the mc2xml command, it takes me straight back to the command line with no errors or files being created.  I'm wondering if my OS is too outdated to run this program but can't confirm.  The OS requirements aren't listed on the mc2xml website.

Just confirmed that mc2xml 1.6 (the version on the mc2xml.awardspace.info website) does not run on my old OS X 10.6.8 computer.  I just tried it on my laptop running OS X 10.14.3 and it worked.  

6 minutes ago, dannyg said:

If you have been playing around with the mc2xml scripts with different attributes (e.g., you start out the the fairly standard -T attribute but want to switch to the -J JSON version to get season/episode data and two weeks of programs), be sure you delete the mc2xml.dat and xmltv.xml files in the scripts folder before running the new version. I had problems making the transition initially, but deleting those files did the trick. I then checked mc2xml.dat's contents and found that it stored the name of the numeric lineup I had selected when running the -J script manually the first time (so that it doesn't have to prompt you again for the lineup number, allowing you to automate running the script thereafter). 

I'm thrilled to say (hope I'm not boasting) that with the -J format, slimmed down processing with mc2xml.chl I detailed earlier, and Automator/Calendar for automated daily updating, my ancient eyeTV HD box, current software, and Schedules Direct listings have me back to nearly full speed (the listings details aren't always as complete as TVGuide). It has been quite a journey in this forum, starting out with TitanTV and ending up with JSON from Schedules Direct. After letting it run a few days, I'll sign up for the subscription.

The question looms: How long before the eyeTV software breaks with a MacOS X update? Another bridge to cross in the future.

I don't feel obligated to update the OS unless I really have to. I keep a set of bootable outboard partitions for different purposes. Hulu, I found, wants High Sierra. iTunes has a problem with my large monitor with certain content, so I boot up in (yes) SnowLeopard in which it plays fine. For everyday use, I'm still in Mavericks. If there is a large hassle factor involved, I will see no problem with keeping  a dedicated computer for TV. I still have a PowerPC running Tiger for certain graphics chores. I have stopped believing in one ring to rule them all.

52 minutes ago, dannyg said:

The mc2xml.dat file also stores your user/password (per the mc2xml web site).  So, after the initial run of mc2xml, you don't need to store user/password in any automation solution.

Another question . . . .

So we figured out how to populate our EPG on our computers.  How come this information from Schedules Direct doesn't move down to our Eye TV apps on our Iphones?  In the Eye TV App, every single channel says "no data" under the heading of guide.

Many thanks in advance!

29 minutes ago, VideoButcher said:

So we figured out how to populate our EPG on our computers.  How come this information from Schedules Direct doesn't move down to our Eye TV apps on our Iphones?  In the Eye TV App, every single channel says "no data" under the heading of guide.

Well, this will frustrate you, but using WiFi I'm seeing the current program listings in the iPhone app under Guide; and the Live TV list shows the current (and next) programs for each channel in the list. I can play Live TV on my iPhone. I didn't do anything with the iPhone app to make this happen. In the Mac's EyeTV software Preferences/iPhone panel, I still have both checkboxes checked.

Edited by dannyg

Further update: I do see the No Data for channels listed in the iPhone, but only for channels that I have excluded from being imported into eyeTV. In other words, it seems that the iPhone app picks up all channels in the Mac's Channels listing, including those that don't appear in the Guide because of your filtering.

Well, this will frustrate you, but I'm seeing the current program listings in the iPhone app under Guide; and the Live TV list shows the current (and next) programs for each channel in the list. I can play Live TV on my iPhone. I didn't do anything with the iPhone app to make this happen. In the EyeTV software Preferences/iPhone panel, I still have both checkboxes checked.

-------------------------------------------

You're right, it will frustrate me.  LOL.

I have no current program listings under either the guide or Live TV lists - essentially no program data at all.  I can play live TV and I can see my channels and my channel listings from Schedules Direct (the xmltv names of the channels).  In the preferences pane - EyeTV for iPhone/iPad both the "Enable access from EyeTV for iPhone/iPad" and "Use My EyeTV" is checked and I have a green "My EyeTV: Working Properly".  I beg to differ.

I'm running Eye TV 3.6.9 (7520) with 2 HomeRunHD tuners and my iPhone Version of the EyeTV app is 2.1.7 (861).  I find it interesting in the copyright on the iPhone App it says "Copryight 2016-2020 ShenZhen Geniatech Inc. Ltd."  I'm running iOS 11.4.1.

Does the iPhone need to connect to the computer by dock to populate the listings or is it a time of day that this activity happens?

Many thanks!

6 minutes ago, VideoButcher said:

Does the iPhone need to connect to the computer by dock to populate the listings or is it a time of day that this activity happens?

The iOS app reads the data from the Mac's EyeTV app in real time over WiFi, so no wired connection is needed. My iPhone OS is up to the current 12.1.4, but I don't know if that would have any effect on this issue. All my other versions are the same as yours.My only other suggestion would be to quit/relaunch EyeTV on the Mac and force-quit and restart the app on your iPhone. Wish I had the magic pill for your issue, which is now in my queue for overnight sleep processing.

• Like 1

For those of you who don't want to mess with the xmltv guide process, and do get OTA schedules that populate when you watch the channel, you can make a dummy 1 minute recording for each channel you record from each day, when the tuner tunes to the channel to make the recording it populates the schedule data.  I ran into issues if I used the menu process to get guide data for OTA schedules, it would pick one channel and populate its guide info to all the others.  But letting each channel populate on its own worked for me.

Each primary station may have a different time frame they load the schedule for, one of mine only does about 12hrs, another does about 48hrs.

I made those 1 minute schedules repeat daily, and only keep 1 recording (so it doesn't fill up the recording list) (though the 12 hour station I have a morning and night schedule)

It doesn't help with the new/repeat information about a show, and some of ours are also in reruns, so I had to update the regular recording schedule with specific channel and time ranges.

I am glad that my guide wasn't due for renewal until next month.  I'm sorry for those who had just renewed before this guide snafu started.

13 minutes ago, malexand said:

For those of you who don't want to mess with the xmltv guide process, and do get OTA schedules that populate when you watch the channel, you can make a dummy 1 minute recording for each channel you record from each day, when the tuner tunes to the channel to make the recording it populates the schedule data.  I ran into issues if I used the menu process to get guide data for OTA schedules, it would pick one channel and populate its guide info to all the others.  But letting each channel populate on its own worked for me.

Each primary station may have a different time frame they load the schedule for, one of mine only does about 12hrs, another does about 48hrs.

I made those 1 minute schedules repeat daily, and only keep 1 recording (so it doesn't fill up the recording list) (though the 12 hour station I have a morning and night schedule)

It doesn't help with the new/repeat information about a show, and some of ours are also in reruns, so I had to update the regular recording schedule with specific channel and time ranges.

I am glad that my guide wasn't due for renewal until next month.  I'm sorry for those who had just renewed before this guide snafu started.

I found all I have to do is use the + key to move to next channel and it will populate those selected channels for 3 to 22 hours depending on the channel, no recording needed but still a PIA if you shut EyeTV down each day as I do.

20 hours ago, DC Rackerby said:

Ton,

I'm not familiar with TV-Mosaic.  Does it have editing capabilities?  It would be nice to use something that's supported.

It has no editing capabilities but you can use "Video Cutter" for that. You can find it in the App Store, does a good job.

19 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

Does TV Mosaic have 10 commandments? [Note: the technical term for that string is "joke."]

Don't understand what you mean.

• Like 1

Total non-programmer user here and the solution that seems to have evolved after lots of diligent and thoughtful work seems daunting to me. Has anyone figured out how to modify the EyeTV software to make TitanTV work which I used successfully in the pre-TVGuide EyeTV era as brief as it was? TitanTV is no longer a selectable *source* in the EyeTV software's Guide "Service" Pull-down window....

2 hours ago, Ton said:

It has no editing capabilities but you can use "Video Cutter" for that. You can find it in the App Store, does a good job.

Which one is it?  Searching for "Video Cutter" in the App Store yields a few results.

1 hour ago, Holden said:

TitanTV is no longer a selectable *source* in the EyeTV software's Guide "Service" Pull-down window....

The most I could get TitanTV to do was to set schedules for recordings only from their web-based program guide (described in some of my tutorials earlier in this discussion). I haven't seen anything about using TitanTV to fill eyeTV's program guide. That is why many of us jumped through various nerd hoops to use Schedules Direct (which seems to be working well for me). 

1 hour ago, Holden said:

Total non-programmer user here and the solution that seems to have evolved after lots of diligent and thoughtful work seems daunting to me. Has anyone figured out how to modify the EyeTV software to make TitanTV work which I used successfully in the pre-TVGuide EyeTV era as brief as it was? TitanTV is no longer a selectable *source* in the EyeTV software's Guide "Service" Pull-down window....

The best you can do is set all your channels to ATSC and you will get a very basic schedule in the guide. You can click on a show to record same as before but you will get very little info.

Along with that you can use TitanTV to see more info or schedule a recording. The best way to schedule is to click on the show with the browser on the same computer as EyeTV, click the big red button in the dialog when it pops up. The scheduled recording will download to EyeTV and show up in schedules. The remote record button, small red one with a remote icon will work from another computer but I have had unreliable results with that, dropping scheduled shows.

You also need to go into EyeTV prefs > Guide and at the bottom put in Your Titan ID and PW.