Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

On 2/13/2019 at 8:05 AM, Holden said:

My Support ticket response from Angela at Geniatech:

Hello Holden,

Thank you for your request. Sorry for the inconvenience. We just come back from our Spring Festival Holidays. It is a technical issue. which will take us a few days to fix it. We will keep you informed. Please wait with patience.

Kind regards,

Angela

If the Spring Festival is the one where copious quantities of beer are consumed , maybe that is a factor in the delay. 🙂

I got the same email from "Angela"! lol

Edited by RustyHB

On 2/5/2019 at 10:57 AM, WisconsinEric said:

The fact that TV Guide is also no longer available on the Geniatech web site to me suggests some kind of license/legal dispute between TV Guide and Geniatech. There are free/open source TV guides out there, I wonder if EyeTV can use them (see my 2nd paragraph below). Meanwhile, EyeTV isn't 'junk' as one person suggested above - all other functions work fine, and you can manually program recordings. Cumbersome, but if you know what you want to record it doesn't take very much longer (I have tried it and it works without problem). The Repeat record function should also work, saving some manual programming. Admittedly not a long-term solution but keeps the software working.

TV Guide alternatives: Has anyone in the US tried the "built-in" EPG referred to on pp. 18 & 59 of the EyeTV3 user manual? ("in-stream EPG"). I notice that the EPG column under the Channels window does also offer two other options besides TVGuide: ATSC/OpenCable and xmltv. I wonder if the latter can be configured to give access to open source EPGs? I assume you have to set this option to ATSC/OpenCable to generate the (limited) in-stream program guide.

I attempted to use the built-in EPG ATSC/Open Cable, but it is not very reliable for me. Some stations don't even show up and those that do only show information for the next 24-48 hours. Not really helpful for setting the dvr to record that show you want next week...

On 2/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, DC Rackerby said:

First, see if your launch agent file is named correctly...

From a Terminal prompt enter the following:

ls -l ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

Second, see if your launch agent is running...

From a Terminal prompt enter the following:

launchctl list | grep com.username

(launchctl stands for Launch daemon Control)

So Think I had some issues with the rtf. I remade the launch agent  in Word and saved it as plain text then changed it to a .plist file. Now in terminal I get "- 78 com.ericphil2.getepg" back from the launchctl command. I have a feeling it might be ok now. I think my problem lies with the bash script. Again there was some wind stuff due to rtf but I have remade that file and did the chmod to make it executable. I just noticed a couple spaces before my username in 2 lines. I just fixed those. EyeTV is recording right now so I can't reboot to make the launch agent run.  I will try tomorrow.

Ok, here's a new twist to this topic. In short, if you quit EyeTV 3 (Mac, OS 10.14.3) with Channels set to xmltv and an xmltv schedule grid previously downloaded in use, when you restart EyeTV the channels will have reset to ATSC and the schedule grid will be blank (it will slowly start to fill in with ATSC data). Bummer, had to do the manual reset and channel assignment all over; at least I live in a rural area and held my lineup to 14 channels, so it took just a few minutes. Thankfully the xmltv data are still there, and immediately repopulate when you reselect xmltv as the EPG source. Again, this happens ONLY when you quit EyeTV (so I assume it will also happen when you restart the computer). Anyone else run into this, and can anyone think of a solution? I assume this has nothing to do with the xmltv source file itself (mine comes from www.xmltvlistings.com, which appears to be an alternate source to schedulesdirect.org, using some of the same software from the XMLTV part of the open source project).

17 minutes ago, WisconsinEric said:

Again, this happens ONLY when you quit EyeTV (so I assume it will also happen when you restart the computer). Anyone else run into this, and can anyone think of a solution? I

I am using listings from xmltv.com which I manually loaded by dragging the downloaded file onto the EyeTV 3.6.9 icon (when quit) in the Finder and then changing the dropdowns to xmltv and assigning a channel from the list when prompted after EyeTV restarts. However, when I quit EyeTV and start again the assignments and guide grid remain the same. The only possible thing I can think of is that, before I loaded the xmltv schedule I downloaded, I went to the Guide tab in EyeTV prefs and chose "none" before quitting EyeTV. My OS is 10.0.5. Good luck.

Edited by Earl Noe

If you use XML files to fill the EPG you must also set in Preferences->Guide "service" to none. Otherwise you will get conflicts.

If the Channel settings do not stay fixed then you have a permission problem.

Edited by Ton

WisconsinEric and Earl Noe:

I am not having any issues on restarting my mac or quitting and restarting EyeTV. The channels have stayed on xmltv and I still have the Guide preferences set on "TV Guide - USA & Canada". Since I don't have any channels actually on TV Guide - USA & Canada it doesn't actually try to update. I think'll I'll set some advertising channel back to TV Guide just to see if geniatech ever gets TV Guide subscription working again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WisconsinEric said:

Ok, here's a new twist to this topic. In short, if you quit EyeTV 3 (Mac, OS 10.14.3) with Channels set to xmltv and an xmltv schedule grid previously downloaded in use, when you restart EyeTV the channels will have reset to ATSC and the schedule grid will be blank (it will slowly start to fill in with ATSC data). Bummer, had to do the manual reset and channel assignment all over; at least I live in a rural area and held my lineup to 14 channels, so it took just a few minutes. Thankfully the xmltv data are still there, and immediately repopulate when you reselect xmltv as the EPG source. Again, this happens ONLY when you quit EyeTV (so I assume it will also happen when you restart the computer). Anyone else run into this, and can anyone think of a solution? I assume this has nothing to do with the xmltv source file itself (mine comes from www.xmltvlistings.com, which appears to be an alternate source to schedulesdirect.org, using some of the same software from the XMLTV part of the open source project).

I think the trick here is to make sure you have saved your new channel lineup (in Channels, at the bottom below the Country selector, the Service drop down menu.) Click on the dropdown for Service, and go all the way down to save channels, name it something new, and the xmltv lineup will be saved, even after a restart. 

On 2/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, Russ One said:

I found all I have to do is use the + key to move to next channel and it will populate those selected channels for 3 to 22 hours depending on the channel, no recording needed but still a PIA if you shut EyeTV down each day as I do.

Yes, but that does require you to actually browse the channels manually every refreshing time frame.  With the scheduled temporary recordings you can let it go on its own for days without needing to manually refresh.  For those of us who don't watch daily the manual method is a huge PITA.  As long as you have created your regular programming schedules properly you could let it go as long as you had space without touching it, just as it was before the guide failure.  

1 hour ago, EYEMISSELGATO said:

I think the trick here is to make sure you have saved your new channel lineup (in Channels, at the bottom below the Country selector, the Service drop down menu.) Click on the dropdown for Service, and go all the way down to save channels, name it something new, and the xmltv lineup will be saved, even after a restart. 

Interesting. I did not do that, but the Guide and Channels list persist after a restart.

EYEMISSELGATO is correct as I discovered for myself about an hour ago: the secret is to save the xmltv settings in a new channel lineup. I deleted a couple of previous channel lineups except the default, reset all the EPG settings back to xmltv and saved the result as a new lineup. The xmltv settings in the new lineup WERE properly saved, surviving both quitting EyeTV and a system restart (I was running backups this morning).

Ton & Earl Noe: My EPG source in Preferences has been set to "None" throughout, that did not solve the problem unfortunately. Also unfortunate: EyeTV has no global xmltv option for an EPG source under Guide in Preferences. Thanks to all three of you for your suggestions. I doubt I would have been able to solve the missing TV Guide problem without the enormous help of all the people on this Forum!

15 minutes ago, WisconsinEric said:

EyeTV has no global xmltv option for an EPG source under Guide in Preferences.

I've found that the xmltv lineup does not have some listings for all the channels and subchannels I receive. Those can still be scheduled using EPG data, which listings can coexist with the xmltv listings. Not ideal, but works.

3 hours ago, Millstadt Weber said:

WisconsinEric and Earl Noe:

I am not having any issues on restarting my mac or quitting and restarting EyeTV. The channels have stayed on xmltv and I still have the Guide preferences set on "TV Guide - USA & Canada".

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Earl Noe said:

Interesting. I did not do that, but the Guide and Channels list persist after a restart.

Ditto.

I am getting very frustrated trying to automate this egg update. Earlier this week I tried the Automator/Calendar method and it worked. I wanted to try the lauchagent method and that has not worked at all. Supposedly the lauchagent is running but nothing happens. I have tried to see if it is the bash script. The only way I have been able to get any kind of error logging is by trying it in automated again. I opened a new calendar event in automator then I dragged over Run Shell Script and selected bin/bash from the dropdown. Here is what I pasted in:

#!/bin/bash
MC2XML="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/mc2xml"
XMLTV="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/xmltv.xml"
#Set the working directory
cd /Users/ericphil2/Scripts/
# Check if we have internet connection
ping -q -c 1 -t 5 google.com > /dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
# Get new schedule
$MC2XML -J -c us -g 14519
# Reload EyeTV with the file
open -a EyeTV $XMLTV
fi

When I run the workflow here is the error I get:

The action “Run Shell Script” encountered an error: “-: line 4: cd: /Users/ericphil2/scripts/

: No such file or directory

-: line 6: /dev/null

: Permission denied

-: -c: line 13: syntax error: unexpected end of file”

I can manually run the MC2XML -J -c us -g 14519 and open -a EyeTV XMLTV in terminal and they work fine.

2 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

#!/bin/bash
MC2XML="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/mc2xml"
XMLTV="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/xmltv.xml"
#Set the working directory
cd /Users/ericphil2/Scripts/

The action “Run Shell Script” encountered an error: “-: line 4: cd: /Users/ericphil2/scripts/

Caps matter.  You have "Scripts" one place and "scripts" in another.  Pick one.

I thought caps were importanrt which is why I made sure they are consistent. To make sure I don't have any typos I just dragged each item onto the script to allow it to build the paths. Here is the errors again. At least this time it uses the cap in the error message. I also tried quotes around the path in the cd line but that gave me the same error.

The action “Run Shell Script” encountered an error: “-: line 4: cd: /Users/ericphil2/Scripts

: No such file or directory

-: line 6: /dev/null

: Permission denied

-: -c: line 13: syntax error: unexpected end of file”

11 minutes ago, Phillie14586 said:

I thought caps were importanrt which is why I made sure they are consistent.

Well, is it possible that neither /Users/ericphil2/Scripts nor /Users/ericphil2/scripts exist?

I took the Scripts folder and dragged it into the script so I don't know how it can't exist. I also did the exact same thing in Terminal and it worked.

Do you know of a way to run the .sh script in something like Terminal and debug it?

Here is something else strange. In the Program Guide the episode number is appended to the beginning of the episode name. Also in Show Detail it lists the season and episode numbers. After recording most recordings lack the season and episode information. The episode number is not with the episode name and in the info there is no episode season information. I can go back to the show listing in the program guide and the information is there. I recorded 5 shows this evening and only one had season episode info after recording.

27 minutes ago, Phillie14586 said:

I took the Scripts folder and dragged it into the script so I don't know how it can't exist. I also did the exact same thing in Terminal and it worked.

Do you know of a way to run the .sh script in something like Terminal and debug it?

You can run it from terminal.

cd /to folder the script is in

ls (will list the contents of that folder)

nameofscript.sh (will run it)

9 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

I do the ls and it shows the getepg.sh file. I then type getepg.sh and it says "getepg.sh: Command not found". I redid the chmod command still Command not found when I run the .sh.

Sorry, try this:

sh /path/to/file/file name 

or instead of typing path just type:

sh(space)

then drag the file to the terminal window (saves all the typing)

I ran first aid in disk utility last night and it said all was good. I tried recording shows on the 5 channels I normally record on and all had season and episode data after recording.

Also this morning I get no error messages when trying to run the .sh file in either automator or terminal. Automator just says complete and terminal just gives me the next prompt yet nothing has happened. I am using EyeTV 7520 and OS10.13.6

in terminal I type:

cd ./scripts    (note I have a lower case "s" on scripts for the folder name)

./getepg.sh     ( and it runs the procedure - so I need the "./" before the procedure name)

I am not using automator. I am using launchd - launchctl. I have the file com.weber.getepg.plist in the folder /Users/weber/Library/LaunchAgents. I have attached it and it can be opened using TextEdit. It works great at automatically updating my xmltv guide each day.

To use it change the username from "weber" to your username in the file name and in lines 7, 9 and 11. Also change the lower case "s" to and upper case "S" in "scripts" in line 11.  And I have the time set to "4" in line 15, and "2" in line 17, which translates into 4:02 am. You can change that as is needed.  

To make sure the computer is awake at 4:02 am I went to "System Preferences" to Energy Saver" to "Schedule" at the bottom right and checked "Start up or wake" then "Every Day" and set the time for 3:58 am.

This has been working for me on a Mac Mini 2009, and on a Mac Mini 2010, both running Mac OS X 10.11.6 and EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520).

com.weber.getepg.plist