Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

1 hour ago, Millstadt Weber said:

in terminal I type:

cd ./scripts    (note I have a lower case "s" on scripts for the folder name)

./getepg.sh     ( and it runs the procedure - so I need the "./" before the procedure name)

So the odd thing is that: "cd ./scripts" works on my system but "./getepg.sh" returns "No such file or directory"

"cd ~/scripts" also works since ~ is short for home directory

Of course I am running 10.8.5. I tried moving up but this OS give me the best overall performance with EyeTV.

TV Guide EPG stopped updating. Subscription still valid. Nothing changed in terms of software, hardware or network. Opened support ticket but looking at the forum posts, it seems this is a wide-spread issue. I expect to receive the standard "technical issue, we're working on it" reply, but technical issues that cause complete outage typically don't take weeks to fix. This is a pre-paid subscription service, so we have a right to a refund if the subscription service cannot be provided.

epg.jpg

2 hours ago, Russ One said:

Of course I am running 10.8.5. I tried moving up but this OS give me the best overall performance with EyeTV.

I am interested in how you assess performance. I am using OS 10.9.5 in a mid-2010 mini with 16 GB RAM. Performance seems fine to me, but for smoothest playback I find I need to quit applications.

1 hour ago, Earl Noe said:

I am interested in how you assess performance. I am using OS 10.9.5 in a mid-2010 mini with 16 GB RAM. Performance seems fine to me, but for smoothest playback I find I need to quit applications.

Well mostly playback performance.. We (my wife and I) have 3 dual HDhomerun tuners and tend to record 4 1080p OTA shows at a time. At the same time we are recording we are usually watching 1 prerecorded show then deleting or sometimes watch from the beginning while a show has already started recording or even live if there is a spare tuner not in use. So 5 streams. And since some of these shows overlap there is up to 6 recording for 5min before and 5 min after a show starts/ends.

I record to a linux server over wired ethernet running unRAID with 9TB of storage using SMB and use a cache drive to record to and at 2 am the files are moved to the protected array.

Playback performance used to stutter a lot until I nailed down the right OS and since it works I just stay there. I did try newer systems but for my system OSX 10.8 seemed to work the best. I still have OSX 10.11 on another partition.

Occasionally there will be a few seconds pause in playback when multiple new shows start recording or end because priority is given to the recording but we are heavy users so I can live with it. I am running a stock 2012 MacMini 2.5ghz i5 with 4gb ram.

Edited by Russ One

1 hour ago, Russ One said:

Well mostly playback performance.. We (my wife and I) have 3 dual HDhomerun tuners and tend to record 4 1080p OTA shows at a time. At the same time we are recording we are usually watching 1 prerecorded show then deleting or sometimes watch from the beginning while a show has already started recording or even live if there is a spare tuner not in use. So 5 streams. And since some of these shows overlap there is up to 6 recording for 5min before and 5 min after a show starts/ends.

I record to a linux server over wired ethernet running unRAID with 9TB of storage using SMB and use a cache drive to record to and at 2 am the files are moved to the protected array.

Playback performance used to stutter a lot until I nailed down the right OS and since it works I just stay there. I did try newer systems but for my system OSX 10.8 seemed to work the best. I still have OSX 10.11 on another partition.

Occasionally there will be a few seconds pause in playback when multiple new shows start recording or end because priority is given to the recording but we are heavy users so I can live with it. I am running a stock 2012 MacMini 2.5ghz i5 with 4gb ram.

I found (with some advice from Elgato back in the day) that you get best playback (least/no stutter) using Progressive for regular video and Drop Field for HD video (in the application's preferences) - which one you use can make a big difference in playback quality. I think that may make more difference than the OS. [running 10.11.6 on a 2010 Mac Mini server; I guess we are well off topic here]

5 hours ago, markmorin said:

TV Guide EPG stopped updating. Subscription still valid. Nothing changed in terms of software, hardware or network. Opened support ticket but looking at the forum posts, it seems this is a wide-spread issue. I expect to receive the standard "technical issue, we're working on it" reply, but technical issues that cause complete outage typically don't take weeks to fix. This is a pre-paid subscription service, so we have a right to a refund if the subscription service cannot be provided.

I've been using EyeTV for at least 12 years (my first tuner was an "EyeTV USB").  At this point, I'm pretty sure Geniatech does not give a shit about EyeTV customers in North America.  It's kinda looking like the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC Rackerby said:

I've been using EyeTV for at least 12 years (my first tuner was an "EyeTV USB").  At this point, I'm pretty sure Geniatech does not give a shit about EyeTV customers in North America.  It's kinda looking like the end.

At least 10 years here and your probably right. My gut tells me it's not a technical issue but a contract issue between them and TVGuide.

28 minutes ago, Russ One said:

My gut tells me it's not a technical issue but a contract issue between them and TVGuide.

TVGuide used to provide scheduling info through almost all OTA broadcast stations via proprietary equipment that the stations used to transmit this info much in the way the basic EPG data is. Some years ago, they rather abruptly decided to quit providing this service, causing considerable pain to, among others, the owners of certain expensive Sony standalone DVRs, which did not even have a provision in the interface to set the date and time. The devices became impractical to program and essentially useless. The TVGuide company provides scheduling services to cable companies, whom I suspect have little love for anything related to cord cutting, so I have very dark suspicions. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think anyone should assume that EyeTV guide service will return.

4 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

TVGuide used to provide scheduling info through almost all OTA broadcast stations via proprietary equipment that the stations used to transmit this info much in the way the basic EPG data is. 

Well, my understanding is that  Gemstar-TV Guide International was acquired by Macrovision Solutions Corporation in 2007.  Macrovision Solutions Corporation changed its name to Rovi Corporation in 2009.  So, when you talk about "TV Guide" I think you're really talking about Rovi.  Btw, in 2016, Rovi Corporation acquired TiVo Inc.

Since things were being inconstant in High Sierra I updated to Mojave. That was a fiasco since I didn't realize HDMIAudio.kext doesn't work in Mojave. Got that fixed. So I tried the bash script again and was not getting any response from running in Automator or Terminal so I rewrote the code. There must have been something about doing a copy paste versus actually writing the code. So I am able to run the script in terminal but I am having some issues. Here is my code:

#!/bin/bash

MC2XML="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/mc2xml"

XMLTV="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/xmltv.xml"

echo "Hello World"

echo $MC2XML

echo $XMLTV

#Set the working directory

cd /Users/ericphil2/Scripts

#Check for internet connection

ping -q -c 1 -t 5 google.com >/dev/null

#echo ping responce

echo ping response $?

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

#Get new schedule

$MC2XML -J -c us -g 14519

#Reload EyeTV with the file

echo "in if statement"

open -a EyeTV $XMLTV

fi

echo open eyetv

open -a EyeTV $XMLTV

Here is theTerminal response:

[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2% sh ./test2.sh

Hello World

/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/mc2xml

/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/xmltv.xml

: No such file or directoryers/ericphil2/Scripts

: Operation not permitted/null

ping response 1

./test2.sh: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Notice : No such file or directoryers/ericphil2/Scripts also : Operation not permitted/null and the ping response is 1 not 0. I also don' know what line 20 should be for end of file. I also ran the script with out the >/dev/null in the ping command here is that response:

[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2% sh ./test2.sh

Hello World

: No such file or directoryers/ericphil2/Scripts

PING google.com\013 (198.105.244.228): 56 data bytes

--- google.com\013 ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

ping response 2

./test2.sh: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Again the  : No such file or directoryers/ericphil2/Scripts and no packets received. So I tried to ping in Terminal and here is that response:

[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2% ping -q -c 1 -t 5 google.com >/dev/null

[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2% echo $?

So Terminal will ping google bu the script won't. The script also can't get the path correct. Also nothing executes after the If statement, even the code outside the FI line. You can see form my Terminal prompts I am in the /Users/ericphil2/Scripts folder.

56 minutes ago, Phillie14586 said:

So I tried the bash script again and was not getting any response from running in Automator or Terminal so I rewrote the code. There must have been something about doing a copy paste versus actually writing the code. So I am able to run the script in terminal but I am having some issues.

It looks to me like there are some unexpected characters in "test2.sh" (hence "/Users/ericphil2/Scripts" becoming "ers/ericphil2/Scripts").

Try switching to the bash shell (At the "[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2%" prompt, enter: bash), then enter each line of the script (at the $ prompt) to see what the issue is. 

PS: If the rest of the forum would like us to take this private we can.

2 minutes ago, DC Rackerby said:

It looks to me like there are some unexpected characters in "test2.sh" (hence "/Users/ericphil2/Scripts" becoming "ers/ericphil2/Scripts").

Try switching to the bash shell (At the "[MacPro:~/Scripts] ericphil2%" prompt, enter: bash), then enter each line of the script (at the $ prompt) to see what the issue is. 

PS: If the rest of the forum would like us to take this private we can.

It's sort of fascinating, although I don't understand it in the slightest, like reading Greek.

• Like 1

Bash didn't have any problems with the script. I purposefully entered a wrong path in a cd line and that gave me an error. Copying and pasting the cd line from the code returned nothing so I assume it was ok. 

I removed the echo after the ping but the problem is there are no packets returned when pinged from the script. If I ping from Terminal I get a returned packet.

Here is the response from running the script in bash. Yes my 7 day trail is expired and I need fix that. But the script looks like it went out to schedules direct to get the data and it opened EyeTV. So why doesn't the cd command and ping work from the .sh script?

bash-3.2$ MC2XML="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/mc2xml"

bash-3.2$ XMLTV="/Users/ericphil2/Scripts/xmltv.xml"

bash-3.2$ echo "Hello World"

Hello World

bash-3.2$ echo $MC2XML

bash-3.2$ echo $XMLTV

bash-3.2$ #Set the working directory

bash-3.2$ cd /Users/ericphil2/Scripts

bash-3.2$ #Check for internet connection

bash-3.2$ ping -q -c 1 -t 5 google.com

PING google.com (172.217.10.46): 56 data bytes

--- google.com ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 89.969/89.969/89.969/0.000 ms

bash-3.2$ if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

>

.DS_Store    mc2xml       test.sh      xmltv.xml    ~$etepg3.sh  ~$test2.txt

getepg.sh    mc2xml.dat   test2.sh     ~$bin.txt    ~$test.txt   

> #Get new schedule

>

> $MC2XML -J -c us -g 14519

>

> #Reload EyeTV with the file

> echo "in if statement"

>         open -a EyeTV $XMLTV

> fi

Loading ..... : mc2xml (c) <mc2xml@gmail.com> (v1.6)

Reminder .... : Unauthorized redistribution prohibited.

Reminder .... : If this software is useful, please donate!

Reading ..... : mc2xml.dat

Connecting .. : schedulesdirect.org

Error: Account expired on 2019-02-16T19:44:31Z

in if statement

bash-3.2$

This discussion is getting crowded - so I started a new topic under EPG Subscriptions to focus just on using XMLTVListings.com (an alternative to schedulesdirect.org). Please go there just for that topic. Here is my opening post, repeated here but please reply under the other Forum discussion to split it off from this discussion. Thank you (I hope).

Go to Forums - EPG Subscriptions - EPG TV Guide - EPG from XMLTVListings

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am starting a new topic since the current (2/17/19) discussion of TV Guide not updating has gotten overcrowded.

My hope for this topic: just focus on using xmltvlistings.com as an alternative to the non-functional TV Guide EPG.

– >Has anyone automated the EPG from xmltvlistings similar to what is described for schedulesdirect.org in [this] Forum discussion? Specifically, not being a programmer, I need some guidance in using the API from xmltvlistings (see the link to it in their help menu). I understand what it is designed to do, but the 4MB file it downloads is not identified as an .xmltv file in format, and is not in a format that EyeTV can use. So other steps must be needed.  Thanks anyone for your help.

In comparison, the XMLTVListings non-programmers option to simply download a 7-day xmltv EPG file works just fine; after preparing EyeTV*, you just drag the file onto the EyeTV icon. But it would be nice to automate it, get 14-day data, and hopefully the season/episode info (not included in the 7-day file).

* - before using the 7-day EPG direct download, manually change the EPG source to xmltv in EyeTV (use the dropdown menu in Channels) for each active channel in your lineup, and (this is important) save the result as a new lineup. Make sure the lineup is the same as the lineup you select when you sign up for XMLTVListings.com (that site allows you to customize the lineup just as EyeTV does).

Edited by WisconsinEric

Nobody's posting since Feb 5? I'd sure like to know A) if there's any news/hope that TV Guide is going to provide Geniatech/EyeTV with what we need: namely a working grid for us to schedule recordings. And B) if anyone has developed work-arounds to this problem. If so, please WALK us through what you do. Here's what I'm doing and it takes a LOT of time: 1. open EyeTV and via the upper right button on the remote-looking icon wherein you can do live recordings and get to live TV (using the upper left button) open Scheduling. B) click on New up on top C) Fill out the info for title, date and time, and frequency if needed (daily, weekly) C) press the lower right button and check in Scheduling that you've set it up. D) Recordings should get your recording, then if you're me, you drag em to folders on your external disc and enjoy them anytime. I have a library of several terrabytes of programs just from my local PBS station I get through antenna. I do NOT want to spend hours each month after I get my PBS program guide, entering in all the shows I want to see when I want to see them, and decide which to keep. Help with info if you can, please!

• Confused 1

I don't know if you'll see this response, but check at the bottom of the page for navigation to subsequent pages, which contain lots of instructions for a variety of program guide systems to integrate into eyeTV.

We just started having this problem the weekend before last.  I see others have longer.  We have a subscription period that doesn't end UNTIL late Nov. 2019!!

We've received similar stupid responses from a recognizable agent, "Angela" - mostly... excuses and just out right lies. The end of last week I was told to wait until the end of this week, with ABSOLUTELY NO reasons as to why I should, and absolutely no update of the problem, or even what it REALLY is!

I like others, suspect a much more foreboding problem that's just not going to end well.  I also noticed things others have mentioned like... the TV Guide subscription page missing the TV Guide logo, but more importantly - that it shows "out of stock."  How the hell do you run out of stock of a digital subscription unless the service/subscription just doesn't exist anymore?!!?

I paid for our subscription via PayPal for this very reason.  I filed a case with PayPal and asked for a full refund because of failure to provide service.  Genetiach is... technically - in breach of contract.  Agent Angela tried to get me to fill out an online cancellation form.  I asked - - "cancel what?"  I don't even have a service to cancel!   Anyway... they made some kind of partial refund offer today, which I will refuse to take until I know what's going on.  At this point - with absolutely no communication, no update, no resolution offered by them - I'm still only willing to accept a full refund.

I've read a lot of different things people are doing to get by without the EPG data.  I thought Titan TV EPG was gone?  It use to be free, and that's what we used.  I'll have to take a look at it again.  

The only other thing we do right now is use "Schedules" to create and setup manual recordings that have limited automation.  (ie - record a weekly program on a certain channel at a certain time)  Forget about all the extras we use to be able to do; record only "new" episodes, record anything that may contain specific titles without looking.  the list goes on with what you could do with Smart Lists and Smart Guides.

BTW /FYI - We just use a dedicated older mini (2010) running High Sierra with 16gigs, terabyte drive.  It's got an extra external drive running backup, connected to other NAS drives - all on a CAT6e (LAN) network with 1gig IPS service, so we have no issues with actual streaming service.  Besides, we just use EyeTV for over air viewing and DVR type recording /exporting to NAS drives.

WE JUST WANT OUR EPG DATA SERVICE BACK!   😉  Good luck to us all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Placebo said:

The only other thing we do right now is use "Schedules" to create and setup manual recordings that have limited automation.  (ie - record a weekly program on a certain channel at a certain time)

Downloading 7-day listings from xmltv.com is easier than setting up manual recordings.Various individuals have been making heroic efforts to automate listings from schedulesdirect.com, but I would as soon be beaten on the soles of the feet than wrestle with elaborate coding and scripting. Good luck.

There really isn't any elaborate coding. I understand it is not a simple GUI process but my problems ended up being simple once found. My issue was carriage returns in the code. A little searching found tr -d '\r' <FileWithCarraigeReturns> FileWithOutCarraigeReturns fixed the problem.

I didn't know anything about the coding either. I simply typed in what was posted and worked out typo issues and other issues that others faced and solved.  My geniatech EPG TV Guide service ended on Feb. 5 (even though I am good till Nov. 22). I was up and running with schedulesdirect later on Feb 5. And It was fully automated by Feb 7. I have had no glitches since Feb 7. The Program guide gives me 17 days of schedules and is properly color coded and has season and episode numbers for TV shows. I am running on a MacMini 2009 and on a 2010, both with Mac OSX 10.11.6, and EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520 and 7524). 

It isn't that hard to do. So I have had 15 days of service since geniatech stopped serving us. And I am good to go even if geniatech never comes thru. Yes, I am losing 9 more months of their service (which doesn't even exist now). And yes, I had to read thru the posts and give it a try. But it all worked and I don't even think about it now.

So give it a try. And if you have questions and issues, we are here to share what we have learned and experienced.

ProgramGuide.thumb.png.c3b21db95234455fc76092c524076ccb.pngHere is my Program Guide which cuts off at 6:00 pm CST on March 9, and right now it is 3:54 pm CST, Feb 20. I have an HD Antenna that picks up 51 out of 70+ channels in the ST. Louis, Mo area. And I am in a rural area - 30 to 70 miles away from these stations broadcasting antennas.

I also just tried to see if the script would run from a launch agent and it did. Genietech has a couple weeks to see if they can negotiate with TV Guide before I need to pay for schedules direct. Other than a carriage return issue this was simple to get up and running. If they get TV Guide running I will have to decide once my subscription is up if it is worth relying on Genietech anymore.