Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

9 minutes ago, dannyg said:

From my experience, Smart Guides require that EPG data be in the Program Guide area of eyeTV. Smart Guides look for matches within the Program Guide to create Schedules, which eyeTV then uses to do the actual recording.

Danny - 

Are you just referring to how EyeTV as an application communicates with the data, the data communication, and how it's handled?  I'm reading your post and trying to visualize how we've used Smart Guides.  Is this what you're referring to?

Create a Smart Guide - those reside as it's own list under the four main categories (Recordings, Schedules, Channels, Program Guide)

TV Guide EPG data has always shown up in the Program Guide area, where TV Guide Diagnostics reside as well.  (also update EPG here, too)

Smart Guides won't even bother working without EPG (of course)  Otherwise, a program selected (as seen in pic) would show a red dot along with name, and program info.

Schedules: Yes, after a smart guide has been created - the tv program's schedule appear here.  You can also manually create a schedule(s).  

What's seen in in the  "Schedules" screen shot /page are manual recordings I created since there's no EPG for Smart Guides to do it for me.  I might refer to a smart guides as -  "contingency features" - more advanced recording requirements a user determines.  

When creating a manual schedule, about the only extra feature you can add (as seen) is to "Repeat" - then after that - options like... daily, weekly, monthly... are available.

SMART GUIDE PAGE:

1317096547_1SmartGUide.thumb.png.051ca4a1a7efe0be083f579338c0a29c.png

SCHEDULES PAGE:

471792567_2Schedules.thumb.png.77a510b4c0964a32c2e023c75f8c01d9.png

CREATE SMART GUIDE PROCEDURE:

1024984469_3CreateSmart.thumb.png.3c4b78f8757f537338ba7921937c4238.png

I have used the various resources from this thread and the others and also internet resources that these threads based their directions on and I  have a fully automated replacement for the Geniatech TV Guide that is fully functional on three computers in 2 states all using schedulesdirect.com. It is not a hack or a workaround but a fully functional alternative. I have no programming skills or experience, all I can do is bring my English Major skills to typing in my own names and passwords and modifying the procedures to suit my location. The smart guides absolutely work if you use the JSON (J) version of the downloads from schedulesdirect.com. I had to make new smart guides as the previous ones did not seem to populate from the new data resource, and, as previously mentioned, I needed to put repeat to false on the guide choices as it does not have a "new" tag on the data from schedulesdirect.com . If I can do it, anyone can. If anyone prefers to wait for Geniatech's solution I hope you have an abundance of patience and don't mind missing a lot of recordings in the interim. Or forever. The participants of this thread found real permanent solutions to the TV Guide problem in about 2 days. Geniatech claims to have been at it for over a month now. You be the judge. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dannyg said:

I believe one of the difficulties in writing up one definitive set of instructions for a TVGuide replacement is that different users have different sources: over-the-air, cable, satellite, multiple sources, and different country systems.

I guess I'd partially have to disagree.  From what I gather just from what you've said and what Millstadt said, which seems to be that schedulesdirect.org and xmltv both supply EPG.  That's simply picking out where/what your own region/area/country - you need your EPG data from.

Specific EPG is determined by your location, which goes directly hand in hand with your provider (air, cable, satellite) That just means - where you're at.  So then - - we're then strictly talking about how to use the tv schedule/program data (EPG) or the implementation of EPG.  That doesn't change.  

It seems to me - the only differentiating factor - is a person's location, and what you use, which are both steps within EyeTV software anyway.  The steps needed are - how to make alternative EPG data sources to communicate with your EyeTV software/hardware.

It'd just be simpler if Geniatech would open EyeTV software to more sources, or at least one that reads, "other" - under "Guide" in EyeTV preferences.  They need to get their residual revenue from somewhere, I guess?

(APOLOGIES) wasn't my intention to seemingly hijack the topic.

Edited by Placebo
[typo]

17 minutes ago, EYEMISSELGATO said:

I have used the various resources from this thread and the others and also internet resources that these threads based their directions on and I  have a fully automated replacement for the Geniatech TV Guide that is fully functional

[here I go... another post. sorry again

thx MissElgato - encouraging words.  It's not that I lack the technical know-how to make the changes - just the time, and lack of desire to make change to a method we've used for around 13 years on two EyeTV devices.

Anyway... it's encouraging.  Thanks!  

QUESTION:  of the EPG services mentioned (not that it matters because we already pay for TV Guide)  but all the services are fee based?  I thought I've seen it mentioned.  If so - how much?  

*** NOW.... BAIT AND SWITCH?!? ***

I was filing complaint with the FTC and had to get Geniatech's address and noticed this when I went to their page.  Seem they're trying to do a little bait and switch tactics!  That's the only conclusion I can come to.

See the screen shot!!  This wasn't there before!  It said "out of stock" and the TV guide logo was gone.  Seems they want you to pay $80 bucks and THEN give you TV Guide free?  I'm in the U.S. - we can't get ANY of their premium content (I believe) it's only in Europe.

1239443563_ScreenShot2019-02-27at4_12_37PM.png.dd79cc2b285160abe202d3a7f7e85b0b.png

1593346832_ScreenShot2019-02-27at4_16_14PM.png.edb09e904b6494079a23f8e9a2ea7b20.png

Edited by Placebo

2 hours ago, Placebo said:

I don't know how you've functioned using EyeTV without it's simple, yet advanced functions.

My brain has simple, advanced functions. Some of us have had prior experiences with TV Guide/Rovi and are a bit cynical. If it comes back, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Earl Noe

2 hours ago, Placebo said:

I won't bother going through 10 - 15 pages to sort out scattered ideas

There are at least two concise, step-by-step how-tos posted in this forum. 

17 minutes ago, Earl Noe said:

Not really. I've been using the English language for about 75 years now, and it works perfectly for me.

Ahh... but communication is a two way street.

23 minutes ago, Earl Noe said:

There are at least two concise, step-by-step how-tos posted in this forum. 

Yes... two posts... somewhere within now... 12 pages?

29 minutes ago, Earl Noe said:

My brain has simple, advanced functions. Some of us have had prior experiences with TV Guide/Rovi and are a bit cynical. If it comes back, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lets just say I've gone beyond the ½ century mark, but I've also been heavily involved with computers for the last 35+ years. 

When referring to simple/advanced functions - meaning the advance features of eyeTV are easy to use.  

58 minutes ago, Placebo said:

QUESTION:  of the EPG services mentioned (not that it matters because we already pay for TV Guide)  but all the services are fee based?  I thought I've seen it mentioned.  If so - how much?  

Yes, the 2 EPG services are fee based.  I tried the free week on schedules direct.com, and got my setup working in a day or two. Then I subscribed for 2 months for I believe 6 dollars, just in case it didn't work long term or TV Guide came back. I think the full year is $25. Sure, it was 6 bucks I shouldn't have to had paid, but it was worth it. Now I am not beholden to Geniatech and their whims. I fully control the scheduling. I've had questions, and someone from Shedulesdirect.com answered me in 3 hours! Try to get an answer from Geniatech. This alternate schedule system uses functionality existing forever in EyeTV, it sends the schedule into the program just as the makers had intended to allow. No hack at all. Another potential bonus: the alternate sourcing using the directions from the forum works on a low level in the system...it is not likely to break with updates. I use it on an ancient mac mini running snow leopard, and a 2014 mac mini running High Sierra and both work perfectly. Of course, with the next apple update, if they remove all 32 bit resources, all bets are off. 

• Like 2

By the way - regarding the last screen shots I posted.  They're from Geniatech.us.  There are different pictures (of course) for Geniatech.eu  But they're now showing a difference for TV Guide as a free 4 week trial.  But if you try to buy the EPG subscription they still show it as out of stock.  Hmm... available with their premium service, but still not yet as a subscription purchase??   At least not in the U.S.

At any rate... I am OUT OF HERE for good.  They've pulled the cork, so I'm getting out before the ship completely goes down.  Off to find another hardware/software service.  CIAO

4 minutes ago, Placebo said:

At any rate... I am OUT OF HERE for good.  They've pulled the cork, so I'm getting out before the ship completely goes down.  Off to find another hardware/software service.  CIAO

Bye Bye. I looked out there, and it is hard to find recording software as flexible and powerful for the mac as Eyetv. I suppose I could have spent hundreds of dollars to start over for my 2 locations and three computers...or spend a few hours to have a complete solution. For free. Adios. Good luck. 

10 minutes ago, EYEMISSELGATO said:

Of course, with the next apple update, if they remove all 32 bit resources, all bets are off. 

I don't expect previous OSs will stop working. I have never been in a rush to update to Apple's latest OS. I have a bootable partition with High Sierra (Hulu likes it) but for everyday use, I'm still with Mavericks. Assuming the cable industry doesn't manage to torpedo OTA TV, I may well dedicate a computer to EyeTV and a music server.

1 minute ago, Earl Noe said:

I don't expect previous OSs will stop working. I have never been in a rush to update to Apple's latest OS. I have a bootable partition with High Sierra (Hulu likes it) but for everyday use, I'm still with Mavericks. Assuming the cable industry doesn't manage to torpedo OTA TV, I may well dedicate a computer to EyeTV and a music server.

Correct. I can leave some of my minis on older software. The OTA broadcasters are looming on the horizon, though, with updates to the ATSC system allowing them to block recording in the future. 

11 hours ago, EYEMISSELGATO said:

Correct. I can leave some of my minis on older software. The OTA broadcasters are looming on the horizon, though, with updates to the ATSC system allowing them to block recording in the future. 

Thanks for that little tidbit. If OTA gets a non-recording flag them I am out. Spectrum has scrambled every channel in my area so I am recording OTA. If they end up blocking that then I am SOL.

56 minutes ago, Phillie14586 said:

If they end up blocking that then I am SOL.

Let's hope there are some changes at the FCC before that happens. A gubmit ruled by corporate interests is not really what a majority of Americans want, and there are growing signs of restiveness.

I just heard back from EyeTV:

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your request.

Most of the work has already been completed. The service will be back soon. We will keep you informed.

Kind regards,

Angela 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

On 3/2/2019 at 7:17 AM, oneof52 said:

I just heard back from EyeTV:

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your request.

Most of the work has already been completed. The service will be back soon. We will keep you informed.

Kind regards,

Angela 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

I received the same.  

Too little too late for me. The EPG I got during my 7 day free trial with schedulesdirect ended this weekend. I paid for a year and now have fully functional EPG with the same information as TVGuide but no longer dependent of Geniatech to get it to me. I only had another month left on my TVGuide subscription so I am not out much.

2 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

Too little too late for me. The EPG I got during my 7 day free trial with schedulesdirect ended this weekend. I paid for a year and now have fully functional EPG with the same information as TVGuide but no longer dependent of Geniatech to get it to me. I only had another month left on my TVGuide subscription so I am not out much.

Ditto.

Which service is everyone using at Schedulesdirect.com? I can't figure out which one that works with Eye TV. I've come to the conclusion that TV Guide is done.... Thanks in advance....

• Like 1