Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

Has anyone else had the beta disappear?  I was testing and I still have a program guide but EPG Premium went away and I am back to TV Guide.  Also build (7524) was (7527).

I’ve migrated to a new box with fresh install of EyeTV.

Because I am not able to download any channels, the xmltv solution does not appear to work on this new install.

I tried copying over the original /Library/Application Support and /Library/Preferences to get the channel file, but think I’m still missing this.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice or pointers on how to an EyeTV set up with channels so that I can import a Schedules Direct program.

Edited by essandess

47 minutes ago, essandess said:

I’ve migrated to a new box with fresh install of EyeTV.

Because I am not able to download any channels, the xmltv solution does not appear to work on this new install.

I tried copying over the original /Library/Application Support and /Library/Preferences to get the channel file, but think I’m still missing this.

I’d greatly appreciate any advice or pointers on how to an EyeTV set up with channels so that I can import a Schedules Direct program.

Do you still have the old, working box?  In my case, I went to the old box, picked LIBRARY/Channels on the left hand side.  Then I picked "Service/Edit on the bottom, and it brings up a window titled "Manage Channel Sets".  Pick a Channel Set, and click on "Export...".  Move the created file to the new box and reverse the process, picking "Import..." instead of "Export...".  Worked for me.  YMMV.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rick Evarts said:

Do you still have the old, working box?  In my case, I went to the old box, picked LIBRARY/Channels on the left hand side.  Then I picked "Service/Edit on the bottom, and it brings up a window titled "Manage Channel Sets".  Pick a Channel Set, and click on "Export...".  Move the created file to the new box and reverse the process, picking "Import..." instead of "Export...".  Worked for me.  YMMV.

Thank you! I used EyeTV Reporter>Easy>Export Preferences on the old box, then imported them into the new one. I’m back up and running with significantly faster hardware for transcoding and commercial marking.

I also tried Geniatech’s beta EyeTV Version 3.6.9 (7527), but am not able to use it because it doesn’t properly configure my Set Top Box, preventing auto-tuning to add channels, which results in the same problem. I get the error message “This EyeTV HD is currently not configured”, and I see no way to successfully configure it using the latest version. Also, this beta version is unfortunately still 32-bit.

I hope that Geniatech follows though with a working 64-bit EyeTV app because the roll out of macOS 10.15 is months away and would close out the use of EyeTV as a DVR option. In spite of all these difficulties, EyeTV still has the best design and features.

Hello,

I am very happy to see the step by step instructions for getting xmldv listings.

I downloaded the instructions but got lost when trying to create the getup document.

I copy/pasted:

#!/bin/bash
cd /Users/[
yourusername]/Scripts/
curl https://www.xmltvlistings.com/xmltv/get/
[your API key]/[your lineup ID]/14 > xmltv.xml #pause 30 seconds as cushion for download to complete
sleep 30s
#load EPG into EyeTV
open -a EyeTV xmltv.xml

Into a new text edit document and saved as a plain text document. It sits in /Users/Scripts/getepg and is a "Plain Text" document type

I then proceed to steps 1.3 and 1.4 and in terminal type in:

cd /Users/[yourusername]/Scripts/

chmod 755 [yourprogramname]

Or

cd /Users/[yourusername]/Scripts/

./getepg

In both cases I get the following:

MacPro:~ maris$ cd /Users/maris/Scripts/

MacPro:Scripts maris$ ./getepg

-bash: ./getepg: No such file or directory

Why no file or directory???

Thanks for any help. 

Maris

22 hours ago, mavots said:

It sits in /Users/Scripts/getepg

From your other commands, it seems like it needs to be in

/Users/maris/Scripts/getepg

Also, copy-and-pasting needs care because there may be invisible formatting characters in the document you are copying from.  Or depending on the OS, the end-of-line character in text files may be different.

22 hours ago, mavots said:

It sits in /Users/Scripts/getepg

From your other commands, it seems like it needs to be in

/Users/maris/Scripts/getepg

If this is the problem, you can move the file by doing

mv /Users/Scripts/getepg /Users/maris/Scripts

Also, copy-and-pasting needs care because there may be invisible formatting characters in the document you are copying from.  Or depending on the OS, the end-of-line character in text files may be different.

What's the status on the fix?    

Is the beta that was passed out to a select few (who then posted it) all there is and ever will be, with no actual release pushed to customers?

I never got a response to my enquiries when TVGuide broke, and would have no clue other than here.

Is the company even still in business?

54 minutes ago, starliner said:

What's the status on the fix?    

Is the beta that was passed out to a select few (who then posted it) all there is and ever will be, with no actual release pushed to customers?

I never got a response to my enquiries when TVGuide broke, and would have no clue other than here.

Is the company even still in business?

Good questions all. Based on what I think the likely answer is, I plan to replace my 2010 Mac Mini running as a media center with a new one just before OS 10.15  (which won't run EyeTV) is released. That will give me several years to find an alternative, or maybe just make it a permanent installation never to be updated. After all, EyeTV works perfectly with the XMLTVListings EPG and presumably will continue to do so indefinitely. If you want to have your EyeTV recordings in a non-proprietary format, I've found that EyeTV's export to mp4 option produces recordings indistinguishable (to me) from the original. In other words, my expectations for the future of EyeTV as a product are low, very low.

I emailed Angela this week and received a link to EyeTV DBG version 3.6.9 (7527).  I was pleased (and surprised) to discover that this version supports my HDHomeRun box.  Following the instructions she sent, I was able to configure the software and load in all my channels.  As far as I can tell, everything is working properly.  The program guide shows a full two week schedule.  I do have a setup problem however.  It doesn't seem to affect the operation of things, but  when I select the EyeTV Plus tab under 'Library', I get the following message

Access not allowed

Dear Eyetv customer, Dear Eyetv customer

You see this page, because unfortunately your eyetv plus subscription has expired or you have not registered properly. Please log in correctly with your email address and password. For more information about Eyetv Plus and its associated subscription, visit

I suspect the problem may be due to the fact that I have an older version of EyeTV installed on this Mac and that program was activated using the code that Geniatech sent me back in January when I renewed my account.  When I try to use that code with my updated software, I get a message that "the renewal code has already been used".

As I say, it doesn't seem to be preventing everything from working - at least for now.  

Like other folks, I'm hoping they make the software 64 bit, but for now it appears I am back in business.

2 hours ago, geohough said:

I emailed Angela this week and received a link to EyeTV DBG version 3.6.9 (7527).  I was pleased (and surprised) to discover that this version supports my HDHomeRun box.  Following the instructions she sent, I was able to configure the software and load in all my channels.  As far as I can tell, everything is working properly.  The program guide shows a full two week schedule.  I do have a setup problem however.  It doesn't seem to affect the operation of things, but  when I select the EyeTV Plus tab under 'Library', I get the following message

Access not allowed

Dear Eyetv customer, Dear Eyetv customer

You see this page, because unfortunately your eyetv plus subscription has expired or you have not registered properly. Please log in correctly with your email address and password. For more information about Eyetv Plus and its associated subscription, visit

I suspect the problem may be due to the fact that I have an older version of EyeTV installed on this Mac and that program was activated using the code that Geniatech sent me back in January when I renewed my account.  When I try to use that code with my updated software, I get a message that "the renewal code has already been used".

As I say, it doesn't seem to be preventing everything from working - at least for now.  

Like other folks, I'm hoping they make the software 64 bit, but for now it appears I am back in business.

I believe EyeTV Plus is their German EPG - it has been in the software for several years now. It used to be that when you clicked on it, you got a program listing of programs in Germany (in German of course), and there was also a "select your country" menu. But they apparently  realized that bug and now you just get the access not allowed message that you got. However, if you look carefully you will see the number of programs shown in the little button still changes daily, usually in the 50-60,000 range, so it is still live and updated. I suspect this option is part of their grand scheme to have a proprietary EPG in each country where EyeTV is sold. Good luck. [I am using the last full release (non-beta) version on a Mac, 3.6.9 (7524)]

PS Any indication of what the source of the EPG is for the beta version you are using? (7527) In North America, I know of only 3 sources . . . XMLTVListings (which is out of Ottawa but covers US too), Schedules Direct, and the now defunct TV Guide service. The first two can be configured to work seamlessly with EyeTV. Does anyone here use any other EPG source with EyeTV?

Ah, I think you are right!  The message I got when I clicked on the EyeTV Plus was in German!  And, as I said, everything else seems to be working fine.  Nice to know the error message I got is not anything serious.

With regard to the source of the EPG, when I checked the EyeTV Preferences:Guide, I see that 'EyeTVEPGPremium - USA & Canada' is selected.  It shows being active until January of next year (one year after I renewed my TV Guide subscription).  Just in case you are interested, there is another selection for 'EyeTVEPGPremium - Europe'.

I think I'll ask if I can get my subscription extended a few months, as it stopped working within a week or so of renewing (talk about your bad timing!).  Can't hurt to ask.

Here are the instructions that Angela provided (along with the software link).

1.Download and install this software
https://mega.nz/#!jEd2mQ4S!54t6FQDNVwlz2HT1lmjlUfO4VlZizU5BskYanMhrovk
2. Auto-tune channels
3. Click eyetv/Preferences/Guide/Service: select EyeTVEPGPremium and sign in your EPG account.
4. Choose all the channels and switch EPG from Opencable to EyeTVEPGPremium.
5. Click Program Guide and choose the option Update Program Guide

4 hours ago, geohough said:

Here are the instructions that Angela provided (along with the software link).

1.Download and install this software
https://mega.nz/#!jEd2mQ4S!54t6FQDNVwlz2HT1lmjlUfO4VlZizU5BskYanMhrovk
2. Auto-tune channels
3. Click eyetv/Preferences/Guide/Service: select EyeTVEPGPremium and sign in your EPG account.
4. Choose all the channels and switch EPG from Opencable to EyeTVEPGPremium.
5. Click Program Guide and choose the option Update Program Guide

Thanks for posting these instructions.

I e-mailed geniatech back in January when the EPG stopped updating and in February when EPG data ended. Angela initially responded but never made any follow up.

My EPG dad is supposed to be good till November 22, 2019. So at this point I have lost 5 months of my contract.

However, back in February I went with xmltv using schedulesdirect. And since it works without a hitch and I am paid in through February 2020, I am not going to switch back to geniatech's premium data service now. I'll keep watching to see if and when a 64 bit version of EyeTV comes out.

For now I am running their 7524 version on a Mac Mini @009 & 2010 using El Capitan, and on a MacBook Pro 2013 using High Seirra, and a MacBook Pro 2015 using Mojave.

I wonder why they haven't made 7527 an official release, and why they haven't contacted all their North American  costumers. Seem to me like really bad business decisions all the way around.

Thanks for sharing.  So there is some hope - support may be back for HDHomeRun and moving from TVGuide to something(?) else is fine as long as it works.  64 bit won't be needed until the fall.

P.S.  I've been trying emby, Plex, Channels, and the HDHomeRun app.  None work as well as eyeTV on a Mac.  All of them try to be a generic media player, not a Mac windows based application.

14 hours ago, Millstadt Weber said:

PS, I'll install this on my 2013 Macbook Pro and check it out tomorrow. So thanks again.

Installed the EyeTVDBG (7527), selected EyeTVEPGPremium for the channels, then Local Over the Air, and it immediately populated my 51 OTA channels in the St. Louis, MO area. Then I checked each channel and the guide and what was actually showing matched.

I wonder why geniatech hasn't made this available to all North American costumers with an official update? I can't imagine that they are still testing this. Plus, I wonder who EyeTVEPGPremium service is actually with?

• Like 1

EyeTVDBG (7527) is working for me.  It crashed a few times during setup so I can see why it is not ready for general release.    (crashes related to having two ZIP codes for EPG data - needed to for TVGuide but don't appear to need for this EPG)

Unfortunately, when I try to use the beta software, it tells me that my EPG subscription is expired (which is true--it expired in May. However, I didn't get to utilize the last four months of my EPG subscription because EyeTV quit working). Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a workaround? The eyetv site won't let me renew my subscription, so that's not an option.

1 hour ago, cliffbig said:

Unfortunately, when I try to use the beta software, it tells me that my EPG subscription is expired (which is true--it expired in May. However, I didn't get to utilize the last four months of my EPG subscription because EyeTV quit working). Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a workaround? The eyetv site won't let me renew my subscription, so that's not an option.

Assuming this beta version lets you use .xmltv format EPG files (built into all versions of EyeTV through 7524, which was the last release version), you could simply subscribe to either of the commercially available services -XMLTVListings.com or SchedulesDirect.com($20/yr and $25/yr respectively). Both work perfectly with EyeTV, and are being used successfully by many contributors to this forum (including me). Instructions on how to install are posted elsewhere on this forum. SchedulesDirect is a bit trickier than XMLTVListings, but once set up and running, you never have to think about either EPG again. Both generate current 14-day schedules, update automatically daily, and look just like the old TV Guide EPG graphically. And have automatic annual renewals, which TV Guide lacked. SchedulesDirect seems to have a little more information according to what's been reported here.

This beta version works fine with XMLTV. I switched to it because it again supports Hdhomerun although limited to the version with only 2 decoders.