Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

On 7/11/2019 at 4:00 AM, Ton said:

This beta version works fine with XMLTV. I switched to it because it again supports Hdhomerun although limited to the version with only 2 decoders.

Are you in the United States?  Are you saying that this beta version brings back support for two tuner HD Homeruns and the TV Guide in the US?

2 hours ago, PickleRick said:

Are you in the United States?  Are you saying that this beta version brings back support for two tuner HD Homeruns and the TV Guide in the US?

I figured that I'd find out for myself and download the beta.  And it does work with the HD Homerun.  I have two dual tuner Homeruns and I just scheduled four simultaneous shows as a test.  Seems to be working.  Can't subscribe to the TV Guide yet, though.  Hopefully, they'll get that working by September.

11 hours ago, PickleRick said:

I'm in Europe and I fill the guide with my own version of XML that has no relation to the XML mentioned here elsewhere.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, cliffbig said:

Unfortunately, when I try to use the beta software, it tells me that my EPG subscription is expired (which is true--it expired in May. However, I didn't get to utilize the last four months of my EPG subscription because EyeTV quit working). Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a workaround? The eyetv site won't let me renew my subscription, so that's not an option.

I've been periodically in touch with "Angela" for months. I had been using a beta from her that I got in early June (7527) that allowed EyeTV to load the EPG info from their EyeTVEPGPremium service after some renaming of channels. Because my subscription was ending July 15, I emailed again last week to ask about the promised 4 month subscription extension offered back in February when the issue with the old service occurred. Angela gave me a 6 month extension and a download link to the EyeTV 7528 version. After a rescan for channels again as per her instructions, the Program Guide repopulated  with no channel name issues (hurrah). So far all is okay.

I use EyeTV on an iMac I use for entertainment purposes: TV, video services, and gaming, so holding out on a macOS upgrade and waiting for a 64-bit version of EyeTV it doable. There is probably just one person at Geniatech working on the Mac client EyeTV software anyway.

***Try to contact customer support (Angela) and get an extension to the subscription and a current beta.***

EyeTV Version 3.6.9 (7528) is now available for download on the support page for EyeTV 3.  It contains EyeTV EPG Premium - USA and no longer uses TV guide.  Was able to successfully install and populate the program guide.  My service subscription however was not extended It still is active only until the original expiration. 

• Like 1

Please, everyone adding to this thread: As part of your message or signature, indicate what country you are in. Program guides are generally country, or region, specific, and success in one country (especially with the new beta versions of the EyeTV app) does not guarantee success in others.

Danny (USA)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick A said:

EyeTV Version 3.6.9 (7528) is now available for download on the support page for EyeTV 3.  It contains EyeTV EPG Premium - USA and no longer uses TV guide.  Was able to successfully install and populate the program guide.  My service subscription however was not extended It still is active only until the original expiration. 

It also appears that you can buy a renewal for EyeTV EPG Premium-USA in the store. Anyone try it yet? https://www.geniatech.eu/product/tv-guide/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick A said:

Yes and hurrah!

Though:

In Program Guide window, if you click on tiny "powered by EyeTV" at the bottom, the link goes to TVGuide website. Just an oversight? How do you know that TVGuide service is not being contracted by Genitech?

Contact support and get an extension to your subscription.

Sorry I'm in the US.  Also I should have said that the EPG service is now called Eye TV EPG Premium - USA and no longer called TV guide.  Do not know if Eye TV / Geniatech contracted with TV Guide.

I downloaded the new version and bought the program guide (in the US).  I have FiOS, and split the signal to my HD homeruns. It's not without it's quirks, but I'm happy to have it.   So far, this is what I've seen:

• When I select Verizon FiOS as my provider, the program guide was unable to associate any of the found channels to the EPG, so I had to associate them myself (I just did the networks - I'm not going to associate 200+ channels).  
  • The channels aren't in numerical order in the guide.  It gives it a number that can change if you disable channels.  It used to give the channel number based on what Verizon assigned. 
  • Trying to change the EPG to a different provider causes it to freeze.
  • The program guide doesn't know what season the show is, just the episode number.

47 minutes ago, PickleRick said:

I downloaded the new version and bought the program guide (in the US).  I have FiOS, and split the signal to my HD homeruns. It's not without it's quirks, but I'm happy to have it.   So far, this is what I've seen:

• When I select Verizon FiOS as my provider, the program guide was unable to associate any of the found channels to the EPG, so I had to associate them myself (I just did the networks - I'm not going to associate 200+ channels).  
  • The channels aren't in numerical order in the guide.  It gives it a number that can change if you disable channels.  It used to give the channel number based on what Verizon assigned. 
  • Trying to change the EPG to a different provider causes it to freeze.
  • The program guide doesn't know what season the show is, just the episode number.

Doesn't sound like it's an improvement over using build 7524 with either of the other commercial xmltv services (I use XMLTVListings.com). The latter is $19.95 per year and renews automatically. How much is the North American EyeTVPlus guide? Does it renew automatically, or do you have to go through the rigamarole you used to in order to renew TV Guide?

32 minutes ago, WisconsinEric said:

Doesn't sound like it's an improvement over using build 7524 with either of the other commercial xmltv services (I use XMLTVListings.com). The latter is $19.95 per year and renews automatically. How much is the North American EyeTVPlus guide? Does it renew automatically, or do you have to go through the rigamarole you used to in order to renew TV Guide?

It was $30.  Plus my bank will probably charge me a foreign transaction fee of around $2.  It doesn't automatically renew, which I appreciate.  They send you an email with a link; you click on the link to activate (or copy/paste).  I stupidly did it on the wrong computer (I remote in to my Mac Mini from my iMac) so it tried to activate on my iMac

These old discussion threads are now quite long, making current topics hard to find. So I just started a new topic under Discussions "EyeTV 3 Version 7528 release Experiences" so we can focus discussion of the new version there and make it easier for people to find. Thank you.

• Like 2

I'm noticing what looks like inconsistent use of the 'new' episode tag on my trial xmltvlistings.com subscription.  I see 'repeat' a lot.  I see 'new' occasionally.  I see a lot of shows with no indication either way.

Has anyone who is using xmltvlistings.com lost recordings because new episodes weren't tagged properly?

Also, for anyone having trouble posting here:  I had to use a mail.com recommendation I saw in another thread because the forum software wouldn't send a verification email to comcast.net, and support wouldn't respond (no, it wasn't in my spam folder).  The person making the recommendation said verification emails don't go out to a host of domains.  

I needed the logon because besides not being able to post, you can't download the file attachments, like the xmltvlistings.com instructions found on page 16.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John10044 said:

Also, for anyone having trouble posting here:  I had to use a mail.com recommendation I saw in another thread because the forum software wouldn't send a verification email to comcast.net, and support wouldn't respond (no, it wasn't in my spam folder).  The person making the recommendation said verification emails don't go out to a host of domains.  

I needed the logon because besides not being able to post, you can't download the file attachments, like the xmltvlistings.com instructions found on page 16.

I've had no trouble posting to this forum, so not sure what your problem is. I have been using xmltvlistings.com since February without any problems. I've found the listings less complete than TV Guide in some respects (e.g., no season, original show date, or episode info) though more complete in some minor manners (a couple of shows in a series I watch on our state public TV network have titles that TV Guide never could provide). They aren't very complete about 'New' vs. "Repeat". The latter seems to be used for the 2nd and later in multiple showings of a new show (I watch mainly public television, where a given episode is shown multiple times during the week). I never use the record 'new' only option, so I'm sorry I cannot help.

With TV Guide I noticed the New tag was not very reliable but the Repeat tag was. With SchedulesDirect they don't seem to use the New tag at all only the Repeat tag. What you need to do is set Repeat to false instead of New to true in you smart guide. I have been doing this for years and have been very satisfied with the results.

• Like 1

So both SchedulesDirect and xmltvlistings.com are unreliable on the 'new' tag?  In all my years with TV Guide the only thing I saw the new tag missing from was new SNL episodes.  

If they both have the same issue, then I guess the next best thing is to do what Phillie14586 suggested, and invert my view of the tag (match repeat=false).

Thanks!

So I am now trying to automate the loading of xmltvlistings.com using the wonderful instructions on page 16. 

The command to download the TV listings from xmltvlistings.com in the step 1 program works fine by itself using Terminal (note I obscured my ID specifics here):

curl https://www.xmltvlistings.com/xmltv/get/[my API key]/[my lineup ID]/14 > xmltv.xml

I get a very nice "xmltv.xml" file in my "/Users/macuser/Scripts/" directory, as expected.

But I have been unsuccessful at getting the command to work as part of the step 1 program.  Heck, it acts like the step 1 program I created and named "get-eyetv-epg" doesn't even exist!  Attempting to manually execute the program from Terminal, I get:

Macs-Mac-mini:/ macuser$ cd /Users/macuser/Scripts/

Macs-Mac-mini:Scripts macuser$ ./get-eyetv-epg

cd: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I created the program file as text-only with no extension, and identified it as an executable program with chmod, per the instructions.

Here is the actual get-eyetv-epg program I created (again I obscured my ID specifics):

#!/bin/bash

cd /Users/macuser/Scripts/

curl https://www.xmltvlistings.com/xmltv/get/[my API key]/[my lineup ID]/14 > xmltv.xml

#pause 30 seconds as cushion for download to complete

sleep 30s

#load EPG into EyeTV

open -a EyeTV xmltv.xml

Anyone who has set this up: Do you have any idea what the no doubt super-simple thing I am missing is?

Thanks!

When I simply-double-click on the program I get

Macs-Mac-mini:~ macuser$ /Users/macuser/Scripts/get-eyetv-epg ; exit;

cd: bad interpreter: No such file or directorybin/bash

EUREKA!  After posting, I went back through this massive thread looking for a similar incident.  Found one way back on page 3.  Something about line endings.  In particular, the person having trouble copied the code from the instructional PDF, which is what I did also.  When they typed it into TextEdit MANUALLY, the code ran.  So that's what I did, and now step 1 is complete!

Hopefully my more recent postings will still give a solution to the next set of users to fail.

On to step 2, lol.

Edited by John10044

So until the instructions on page 16 can be updated, should anyone use them to automate the loading of the $19.95/yr xmltvlistings.com program guide, here are the changes I suggested:

• On all scripts do NOT copy & paste commands from the instructions.  Type them into TextEdit or equiv manually.
  • If chmod fails with "No such file or directory" in step 1.3, then you may have your file extensions hidden.  Do a File/Get Info in the Finder on [yourprogramname], and uncheck "Hide Extension".  Then rename the file in the Get Info Name & Extension box to remove the ".txt" extension.
  • If you can't see the Library folder in step 2.4.2, then press 'Command-Shift-period' to display hidden files and folders.  This works both in the Finder and File/Open dialog boxes.

Everything works for me now. My Mac is setup to download 2 weeks of TV listings automatically every night, and I can additionally call for an immediate EPG update from within the EyeTV app, just like the old days.  I also selected the option to auto-renew the subscription, so in theory I am good forever, lol.

Many thanks to WisconsinEric, DC Rackerby, Earl Noe, Millstadt Weber, UnixGuy, and everyone else who contributed to the instructions!

2 minutes ago, John10044 said:

So until the instructions on page 16 can be updated, should anyone use them to automate the loading of the $19.95/yr xmltvlistings.com program guide, here are the changes I suggested:

• On all scripts do NOT copy & paste commands from the instructions.  Type them into TextEdit or equiv manually.
  • If chmod fails with "No such file or directory" in step 1.3, then you may have your file extensions hidden.  Do a File/Get Info in the Finder on [yourprogramname], and uncheck "Hide Extension".  Then rename the file in the Get Info Name & Extension box to remove the ".txt" extension.
  • If you can't see the Library folder in step 2.4.2, then press 'Command-Shift-period' to display hidden files and folders.  This works both in the Finder and File/Open dialog boxes.

Everything works for me now. My Mac is setup to download 2 weeks of TV listings automatically every night, and I can additionally call for an immediate EPG update from within the EyeTV app, just like the old days.  I also selected the option to auto-renew the subscription, so in theory I am good forever, lol.

Many thanks to WisconsinEric, DC Rackerby, Earl Noe, Millstadt Weber, UnixGuy, and everyone else who contributed to the instructions!

Many thanks for the useful updates! When I get time (a week?), I'll update the instructional PDF for using xmltvlistings.com as the EyeTV EPG source and repost it here.

• Like 1

Forgot one thing:  If you have a host-based application firewall like Little Snitch, then you should create an "Any Process" rule that allows all outgoing connections to the domain xmltvlistings.com, forever.  Otherwise it may block the automated process.