Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

2 hours ago, Millstadt Weber said:

I didn't know anything about the coding either. I simply typed in what was posted and worked out typo issues and other issues that others faced and solved.  My geniatech EPG TV Guide service ended on Feb. 5 (even though I am good till Nov. 22). I was up and running with schedulesdirect later on Feb 5. And It was fully automated by Feb 7. I have had no glitches since Feb 7. The Program guide gives me 17 days of schedules and is properly color coded and has season and episode numbers for TV shows. I am running on a MacMini 2009 and on a 2010, both with Mac OSX 10.11.6, and EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520 and 7524). 

It isn't that hard to do. So I have had 15 days of service since geniatech stopped serving us. And I am good to go even if geniatech never comes thru. Yes, I am losing 9 more months of their service (which doesn't even exist now). And yes, I had to read thru the posts and give it a try. But it all worked and I don't even think about it now.

So give it a try. And if you have questions and issues, we are here to share what we have learned and experienced.

I do appreciate your efforts, and I will try this out. I'm still a little traumatized from an earlier effort some time ago to install Linux that went on for several fruitless days, and led to my getting EyeTV in the first place.

3 hours ago, Millstadt Weber said:

I didn't know anything about the coding either. I simply typed in what was posted and worked out typo issues and other issues that others faced and solved.  My geniatech EPG TV Guide service ended on Feb. 5 (even though I am good till Nov. 22). I was up and running with schedulesdirect later on Feb 5. And It was fully automated by Feb 7. I have had no glitches since Feb 7. The Program guide gives me 17 days of schedules and is properly color coded and has season and episode numbers for TV shows. I am running on a MacMini 2009 and on a 2010, both with Mac OSX 10.11.6, and EyeTV 3.6.9 (7520 and 7524). 

It isn't that hard to do. So I have had 15 days of service since geniatech stopped serving us. And I am good to go even if geniatech never comes thru. Yes, I am losing 9 more months of their service (which doesn't even exist now). And yes, I had to read thru the posts and give it a try. But it all worked and I don't even think about it now.

So give it a try. And if you have questions and issues, we are here to share what we have learned and experienced.

I've been looking over the how-to and have a couple of questions. Where there are things like "chmod 755 mc2xml"  and "./Users/username/getepg.sh" are the quotes part of the string, or are they serving the usual prose function of separating the string from the explanatory text?

In the part of script: 

# Reload EyeTV with the file

open -a EyeTV $XMLTV

fi

Is that last glyph the ligature or the letters f i ?  I had better sort these things before I plunge in. Thanks.

Yes the quotes " are explanatory and not part of the command.

As for the ending "fi" is just the letters "f" and "i".  I didn't type them in. I opened TextEdit and cut and pasted the entire procedure in, and the changed the username to my username in lines 2, 3 and 5, and changed on line 9 the schedules direct username:password to the username:password I used in signing up with schedules direct plus changing to my own rural home zip code.

I was really cautious about automating with launchd / launchctl, so I waited a couple of days before tackling that. But when I did, it worked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

I've been looking over the how-to and have a couple of questions. Where there are things like "chmod 755 mc2xml"  and "./Users/username/getepg.sh" are the quotes part of the string, or are they serving the usual prose function of separating the string from the explanatory text?

In the part of script: 

# Reload EyeTV with the file

open -a EyeTV $XMLTV

fi

Is that last glyph the ligature or the letters f i ?  I had better sort these things before I plunge in. Thanks.

Sorry: I just figured out the quote button on the forum page. So obviously I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. Yet the old saying is true. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Yes the quotes " are explanatory and not part of the command.

As for the ending "fi" is just the letters "f" and "i".  I didn't type them in. I opened TextEdit and cut and pasted the entire procedure in, and the changed the username to my username in lines 2, 3 and 5, and changed on line 9 the schedules direct username:password to the username:password I used in signing up with schedules direct plus changing to my own rural home zip code.

I was really cautious about automating with launchd / launchctl, so I waited a couple of days before tackling that. But when I did, it worked.

2 minutes ago, Millstadt Weber said:

OK. Thank you. It will be a while before I tackle this, but I'll let you know how it goes.

2 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

Is that last glyph the ligature or the letters f i ?  

Bash shell scripting if/then statements go like this:

if [ raining outside ]
then
<bring umbrella>
fi
drink coffee

Drink coffee is not part of the umbrella if/then decision.

Basically, "if" and "fi" bookend the statement.

Enquiring minds can find more info here:

https://ryanstutorials.net/bash-scripting-tutorial/bash-if-statements.php

As DC Rackerby said above, fi closes a conditional command that began with if [clever, yes? fi is if backwards]. In this case the conditional command checks for a working Internet connection. If you decide to dispense with that (see my next post), you simply conclude the script with the last command.