NotInUse

WHERE IS EPG DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously.... where is the EPG Data???

I've noticed the lack of updates over the past 2 weeks... and It's now expired.

I've seen the other threads here and I know I'm not alone. So, I hadn't bothered to post about it. However, now that it's gone completely due to expiration, the frustration will grow with each passing day.

So how about some CUSTOMER SERIVE and address the issue already.

Last time this happened to me - where it completely expired and would not update - (back when El Gato still owned it).. it took MONTHS before it worked again. MONTHS. And I got the distinct impression that it was primarily due to my complaining to TVGuide, ElGato. and anyone else that it wasn't working. TVGuide saying "we don't have anything to do that data", El Gato stating "We don't control that data TVGuide does".

They need to address this immediately.

It's my hopes that the new company cares more about their customers.

so what has changed? whose sever r we talking about? i assume it's tvg, and my s/w version hasn't changed, so it must b a change on tvg's server

It's TV Guide.. it's their data. But Gigatech (probably) pays them for access to the data and then resells the data... so it's sort of both companies.

It is not impossible that the reason there's no data is....

A) Gigatech wants to see how many complaints they get and reconsider paying for the data or....

B) Tv Guide wants to charge more for the data and Gigatech doesn't want to pay it, so it's a "hostage" situation...

C) Gigatech wants a better deal on the data and TV Guide is unwilling to lower prices, also a "hostage" situation...

D) There's legitimately an issue with the server or database (But no company would allow such an issue to exist any longer than it had to. And a week long issue would be EXCEPTIONALLY odd, let alone 2, 3, 4, + weeks.) This issue has been present for at least 2 weeks now since the data has completely expired.

Truth is, it takes the company to actually CARE about customers to get it working again... that means TVGuide AND Gigatech have to be vested in resolving the issue as quickly as possible. The longer the data is down the worse it reflects upon BOTH companies.

I got this e-mail response to my request last week. However, I don't believe that their is a technical issue. I believe it is a corporate issue, as outlined above. No matter what the issue is, it is really frustrating to come up with temporary work arounds (ATSC/Open Channel guide). And eventually I'll come up with a permanent work around (xmldv). Once I've got that all worked out it'll be goodbye to Geniatech and their EPG TV Guide subscription.

Hello Darrell,
Thank you for your request.
It is a technical issue. We are fixing it. We will inform you immediately once it is back to normal.
Kind regards,
Angela 
Geniatech EyeTV Support Team
02/02/2019 18:31 - Geniatech - eyetv hybrid Support wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has shared what they know.  I haven't received any reply from Geniatech after contacting support, so without other users' input I'd still be trying different things to fix it on my end.

Since we have all paid for our TV Guide subscriptions (mine is good through next October), do you think Geniatech is just planning on keeping the money from our paid subscriptions without delivering the product they promised, or will they be honest about it and give us prorated refunds for the (now going on three weeks) time they've spend ignoring the issue?

Looks like we've got a pretty good Class Action Lawsuit building. The money lost on the paid TV Guide subscriptions is nothing compared to the pain and suffering we're enduring from our significant others who we have setup with EyeTV.

I really hope this is "a technical issue and they are fixing it" as indicated in a couple replies from the Support Team. Most of us have not received a reply from our support tickets. Since the issue probably affects all North American users, you would think Geniatech would have issued some type of formal response by now.

So Sad

I appear to have the same problem not receiving any TVGuide data here in North America (subscription good through Dec 2019).  Tried deleting all application data, preferences, and application itself then reinstalling, but no change.  I receive a little bit of data from  ATSC/Open Cable Program Guide, but nothing I actually watch.  In EyeTV Preferences, after hitting "Update Now" button, I receive the error "Update failed due to a server error".  My network security settings have not changed for ~6 months.

Guide data has not been updating for about 2 weeks.  Sent in a ticket on Friday.  Real pain to visit tv listing sites and manually input.  Together with lack of support for SiliconDust tuners in latest update will probably drive me to alternate solution later this year.  Too bad, been using EyeTV SW for a decade+ and have frequently recommended the solution.

WHERE IS THE EPG DATA I PAID FOR!

The service is not updating.  I cannot record any shows.  The lack of quality of this service makes the value of the hardware minimal!  I'd like a credit of service for the period of time that the service is down at a minimum to make up for this poor quality service.

@all, sorry for the inconvenience. Geniatech takes this issue with great care.  Our technicians are working on it. It will take a few days more.  We will inform you once it is fixed. 

Hi Angela,

I sincerely hope you are trying to correct the issue. Without guide data the EyeTV software is considerably less valuable. Not to mention TVGuide subscriptions have been paid for already.

Check out the posts under "EyeTV 3 (Mac OSX APP)" on the forum page. Many of us worked together coming up with an xmltv solution using schedules direct. See  the steps in the attached word document that combines all that we have learned. Schedules go out 2 plus weeks and include season / episode for tv shows. And it is automated to self update.

DC Rackerby: Thanks for the tutorial on xmltv.  I set it up and got it working. I live in the metro St. Louis area and have a Mac Mini 2009 (OS X 10.11.6) with an EyeTV Hybrid running EyeTV 3.6.9 (7524), and a Mac Mini 2010 (OS X 10.11.6) with an EyeTV Hybrid running EyeTV 3.6.9 (7524). I import the edited (with commercials removed) into iTunes (on a 5 TB external HD), which wirelessly talks to other macs in the house as well as AppleTV. And I use "Identify" to tag the proper meta data to each video (TV Show or Movie). However "Identify" doesn't work on Mac OS X 10.12 and higher. So if anyone has a replacement for "Identify" let me know.

This seems overwhelming at first, but there were / are a lot of users that helped put this all together. We even caught each others typing and other mistakes.

So without the geniatech EPG TV Guide, this xmltv procedure works great.

Good Luck, and don't be afraid to try it, or to ask questions.

Thanks again to DC Rockery. I needed to put together this dummies guide because it took me a while to figure out how to make it all work. I figured someone else may need this as well

xmltv.docx

Ah, "Spring Festival Holidays."  Priorities.

Hello J,

Thank you for your request.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We just come back from our Spring Festival Holidays. 

It is a technical issue. It will take us a few days to fix it. We will keep you informed. Please wait with patience.

Kind regards,

Angela

I PAID for a subscription to the TVGuide EPG Data.. I shouldn't ned to "hack" some XML to get what I've PAID for.

I can appreciate the sharing and many may benefit from it, but I want what I paid for.

46 minutes ago, NotInUse said:

I PAID for a subscription to the TVGuide EPG Data.. I shouldn't ned to "hack" some XML to get what I've PAID for.

I can appreciate the sharing and many may benefit from it, but I want what I paid for.

EyeTV has support for an XMLTV EPG built in, so it isn't a hack (see attached).  Nonetheless, we all want the service we paid for.

483742252_ScreenShot2019-02-13at6_31_10PM.thumb.png.5ca9bf8bf01c56070d49f4a936bedc13.png

Sorry, but downloading some third party script for Terminal isn't really "not" hacking. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it all works great if you want to jusmp through those whoops and allow some undisclosed script to run on your system (with internet access no less). To me, it's a security hole opened up to try and solve EyeTV channel listing and the risk well outweighs the rewards.

Gineatech merely need to fix the issue.

HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE.  This is considered a live site issue, impacting users.  In my business, people are paged, developers are brought in and work until it is fixed.  This is very poor service and demands fast action and refunds for ALL existing customers.

To "Erik" and "NotInUse" - those of us on the main TV Guide discussion (look at the first discussion under "EyeTV Portfolio Software" on this Forum) are trying to help you. Ask yourself - would you rather complain to deaf ears in China, or get your EyeTV EPG to work? Geniatech is in China with a branch in Germany, no North American office period; there is no evidence they care and for all we know the problem is at TV Guide. All of us who are TV Guide subscribers probably won't get our money back (luckily, it wasn't much). The last time the Geniatech Forum administrator looked at the Forums was over 6 months ago. But go to the Forum I just referenced and you'll find that you can get the same functionality from a standardized EPG format called xmltv. Luckily EyeTV has built-in support for this as an unpublicized alternative to subscribing to TV Guide; just go to Channels in EyeTV, and in the dropdown menu under EPG you'll see xmltv as an option (has to be changed manually for each channel). There are two vendors in North America offering this format; for schedulesdirect.org you need some programming skills, as you do for xmltvlistings.com. But the latter also offers a straight download of a 7-day schedule identical in appearance to TV Guide, no programming skills or Terminal required. Do some reading under Forum and you'll find out how to do either one. I've been using xmltvlistings for a week, works fine, once you spend 10 minutes signing up and customizing your channel lineup, and save a new xmltv channel lineup in EyeTV, it takes about 2 minutes once a week to download the next week's listing and load it into EyeTV. Not as convenient as TV Guide, but it works and brings EyeTV back to the way it was before.

China, Germany, wherever... they need to fix the issue. Subscriptions were sold.

I realize y'all are just trying to help. I don't mean to imply anything different. But my having to jump through hoops because a company is not supplying what was paid for is frustrating to say the least.

So... We have top men working on it right now.  Top... men.

I'm going to keep bothering them about it, but I'm also going start working on XMLTV options.

Hello Jeff,

Our technicians are working round the clock in the hope of fixing it in a week. We will inform you immediately once it is back to normal.

Kind rgards

Angela