NotInUse

WHERE IS EPG DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/12/2019 at 1:16 AM, Angela Xu said:

@all, sorry for the inconvenience. Geniatech takes this issue with great care.  Our technicians are working on it. It will take a few days more.  We will inform you once it is fixed. 

Angela didn't post "a week". But really, how seriously can they be taking it since it's STILL broke almost 10 days later... which makes it 18 days since the data expired.

Edited by NotInUse

Same issue here. I sent in a complaint ticket and got the same reply that it's a "technical issue" and that they were "working on it".

I'm a tech guy, and they must have the worst techies in the world if it's taken a month so far, and it's still not working!!!

I tried using the help tool to delete the database, which just spins it's wheels. Channels are still there, they still GET television, I just have no TV Guide data. So I have to manually program in my shows for now (I also use Titan TV, which helps a bit. Repeat shows, I just set up manual schedule for, and hope it doesn't change. No way to filter out not recording "repeats", however.

My subscription is good through July 10th. I sincerely hope they will be offering a refund, or an extension once (if?) this starts working again for the time we've lost. By my estimate, it wasn't working since before February, since February 5th was the last day we had any show data for, and the guide used to update at least a week or more in advance.

I suspect this is less a technical issue, and more a dispute between TV Guide and Geniatech. And at our expense, since Geniatech already took our money for a service we are not getting.

As a US customer (New York), I am disappointed in Geniatech. Since they took over EyeTV from Elgato, they stopped making hardware for the US market. They also stopped SUPPORTING hardware that other companies make, like the HD HomeRun, which I have, that has two tuners. So I'm stuck at a slightly older version of EyeTV, since the later updates kill support for my unit.

Looks like I may be forced to look for alternatives, since Geniatech seems to think the United States is a market not worth keeping.

4 hours ago, Joseph said:

As a US customer (New York), I am disappointed in Geniatech. Since they took over EyeTV from Elgato, they stopped making hardware for the US market. They also stopped SUPPORTING hardware that other companies make, like the HD HomeRun, which I have, that has two tuners. So I'm stuck at a slightly older version of EyeTV, since the later updates kill support for my unit.

Looks like I may be forced to look for alternatives, since Geniatech seems to think the United States is a market not worth keeping.

Wish that this forum had a "pin" feature to put important things at the top. Latecomers are missing the extensive discussions and solutions to this problem, start here and look especially to WisconsinEric's step by step compendium. 

While the alternative does work.. and I am grateful to those that sussed it all out... realize it is NOT a replacement for the TVGuide EPG data.. it's an alternative since GeniaTech apparently has absolutely abysmal at customer service, at least for the North American market.

As an alternative it's okay, it's often missing some minor data and the updating is not as smooth as it is with TVGuide data. In addition, TVGuide data would often change day to day based upon changes for the programming. The alternative may or may not do the same - you'd have to tell it to update in any event most of the time. It's not quite as reliable. But the XMLTV data is much, much better than having nothing at all.

^NotInUse: I agree with your first paragraph, except I'd say Geniatech doesn't have abysmal CS, it is nonexistent.

As for the 2nd paragraph, my experience has been much better, so you may be missing one or more of the steps in using one of the two alternative EPG sources for North America. I've been using xmltvlistings.com for a couple of weeks now, and got it fully automated about 8-10 days ago. Since then it is has been 100% reliable, updates automatically daily overnight (at 5 am, the time I chose), and I have indeed seen specific listings change day to day based on programming changes (e.g., a program I'd scheduled was replaced a few days ago by our governor's quickly scheduled budget address). And it happens with the same hands off as with TV Guide, at a slightly lower cost/year. True, this source does NOT supply the season/episode and cast data that TV Guide supplied, which is a disadvantage that cannot be overcome by us, though I have found it including some program subject headings that were missing in TV Guide. Apparently schedulesdirect.org does include this missing info but requires a bit more programming to get there. If you are getting less than the preceding, I suggest you look at the PDF I compiled from suggestions on this Forum; it spells out step-by-step instructions for getting what I just described. Or at instructions on the other EyeTV3 Forum thread (much bigger than this one) on how to set up schedulesdirect as a source.

Please don't take my post as being negative. I didn't intended it to dissuade anyone from trying the alternatives. As I posted, they are GOOD alternatives, especially in light of Gineatechs complete apathy.

My experience with the alternative may be more specific to my location/provider/system/hardware etc. It works fine, and is an adequate alternative. I don't have any real complaints about the actual data. It's sufficient enough for the most part. However, SOME channels do NOT switch correctly. Meaning I choose channel 786.... EyeTV switches to channel 26. This only happens for a few odd channels, but it does happen -- and yes I've verified the schedule data, the XMLtv EPG settings. ... everything APPEARS correct, still the odd channel thing occurs. But again, this is only for a few odd channels. I simply have to manually use the box remote to switch to those channels - EyeTV will no longer switch to them properly. So there's no scheduled record for those channels due to this.

As for the actual getting of and updating data..... I've got the updating down to a simple selection in the Scripts menu within EyeTV.. but that's where things are not quite ideal and why I don't automate the updating further. ... When I choose to update... the download of data etc happens fine and I've got the shell script set up to "ding" when it's done so I know it's got the data. EyeTV then essentially "locks up" for 3-10 minutes while it reads the new XML file. After that, things are fine. For the most part this isn't really a problem. I merely choose to update and then work on other things until I see the LiveTV window actually moving again. However, if this "lock up" occurs during a recording, the recording is hosed. And this is why I am apprehensive about automating things further.

So, my issues are really due to the overall process of using the alternative. They are merely "quirks" due to the alternative and not unmanageable "problems". And I am aware it may be entirely due to my provider and location. I'm not in a "major metropolitan" area and I am pulling quite a few channels from schedulsdirect (roughly 100). I am also aware that if I were to decrease the channel quantity the updating would go much faster, but then, well.. I'm missing guide data again :) 

And I may, at some point, reconfigure everything and see if xmllistings.com is better. But I'm hesitant to sign up there until I'm ready to redo everything (so the 14 day trial doesn't get chewed up by my procrastination).

One sneaky way to automate the epg update is to use an EyeTV Triggered Script.

https://www.geniatech.eu/faq/eyetv-3-applescript-samples-triggered-scripts/

I have set up the following script:

on RecordingDone(recordingID)
    tell application "EyeTV"
        set myid to (recordingID as integer)
        set mytitle to get the title of recording id myid
        #set myname to get the name of recording id myid
    end tell
    set mysearch to "UPDATE_EPG_NOW"
    if mytitle contains mysearch then
        do shell script "tvup.sh"
        #delay 5
        #tell application "EyeTV" to delete recording id myid
    end if
end RecordingDone

with the filename RecordingDone and placed it in the

HD/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts/TriggeredScripts

folder (create it if not allready there).  Then I scheduled a manual recording with the title UPDATE_EPG_NOW to record every day with a 1-minute duration.  See attached image.  The advantage of doing this way is that EyeTV allows recordings to be scheduled in very flexible ways.

sched.jpg

Ignored my Q about a refund, happy talk continues:

Hello Jeff,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Most of the repair work has already been completed. The service will recover soon. We will keep you informed.

Kind regards,

Angela 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

03/02/2019 15:40 - J wrote:

Hello,

Time to talk about refunding the money I paid for this service that 
Geniatech is unable to provide.

What do you need to process this refund?

Best regards,

/j

I received the same response from Angela.  Keep hoping it will fix soon

I am experiencing problems with the forum.  Even though I have been an EyeTV user with an account since 2007, the forum will not allow me to log on.  It says it sends a confirmation email and it doesn't.  Been trying since Feb 5 when the EPG service ended.   I even hit the contact us for help and nothing.   Tech support Angela tells me it doesn't fall in their realm. HUH?  Seems like they are trying to limit people from contacting one another.

Tried a third email address and was able to connect.  Why? 

My response from Angela was the same as J.Bill.  I am wondering how will they let us know it is working?  Email? Update to EyeTV?  I keep checking both.

I also tried to use the ATSC to update and it made some strange modifications to my channels, that I can't seem to undo.  I hate having to program manually.

Just received this   Hope it is true

Thank you for your request.

The restoration has been completed. We are testing it now. We will inform you immediately once it is finished testing.               

Kind regards,

Angela 

^ The messages from "Angela" keep changing, but the end result is the same. The only excuse I will gladly accept as valid is if the "restoration" is accompanied by release of a 64-bit version (which they claimed last fall to be working on), since that is more critical for the long term than the EPG. We can (and did) find equivalent EPG sources, but failure to release a 64-bit version will EOL the product for Macs. They have until OS 10.15 comes out, presumably this fall.

I haven't posted in quite a while, since I am having no problems at all.

I haven't had any glitches with eyetv 3.6.9 (7524) since Feb. 5th, when geniatech's EPG TV Guide went down.

The schedulesdirect.org xmltv guide works flawlessly, with schedules going out 17 days - including season and episode numbers. And it automatically updates the TV guide twice a day (more often if I wanted it to). The only thing I do is schedule recordings, and remove commercials from recordings before uploading to my iTunes library, which is exactly the same thing I was doing before Feb. 5.. 

I do hope geniatech comes up with a 64 bit version of eyetv 3. Although I won't jump into OS 10.15 right away. I'll wait to make sure some of my other older software gets updated to 64 bit.

So I have been as happy as a lark since Feb. 5th. From my perspective nothing has changed in my use of eyetv 3.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Millstadt Weber said:

I haven't had any glitches with eyetv 3.6.9 (7524) since Feb. 5th, when geniatech's EPG TV Guide went down.

The schedulesdirect.org xmltv guide works flawlessly, with schedules going out 17 days - 

Yes, I am having no glitches, also, running schedulesdirect.org. I only show 14 days out, but I think the schedule actually goes farther. Did you do anything to get it to show 17 days? TV Guide was always 14 days on my eyetv, and it still just shows 14 days with schedulesdirect.org. 

• Like 1

My last message (a week ago) said all repairs had been completed and they were finishing testing.   And then nothing.   Anyone else receive any other messages?

Last note I received from Geniatech was March 1 saying most repair work completed and service will recover soon.  Sent them another note yesterday requesting specific restoration date and what compensation we will be receiving.  In other threads on this topic, some people report having received email from Geniatech to test a beta of the repair.  Frustrating.  Playing with Plex on a NAS, losing faith here after over a decade of service unfortunately.

Back in September the company that was servicing our EPG with TV Guide data (Rovi) bought out TIVO and now operates under the TIVO name.

These are the people we paid our subscription fees to and they are based in San Jose CA.

TIVO may see the El Gato/Geniatech products as rivals to their DVRs. 

I asked an attorney about a class action lawsuit. I was told that "if the EULA contains an arbitration clause you're wasting your time."

The EULA is nowhere to be found. If you can find it please post a link here.

TIVO and TV Guide both go to great leangth not to communicate with customers. Just go to their websites and try to find "contact us" or "support".

Angela (who may be a robot) is the only one who has answered me. Two weeks ago she said:

Hello Mel,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The restoration has been completed. We are testing it now. We will inform you immediately once it is finished testing.               

Kind regards,

Angela 

The only contract I have is the one via the link at the bottom of the email receipt from Geniatch labeled "Terms and Conditions":

https://www.geniatech.eu/terms-and-conditions/

Not sure if that would govern the third party provider?  Too much legalese for me, and with references to Germany and United Nations CISG, you'll need an attorney who specializes in international law I suspect?

I just hope _if_ there really is a fix, it supports the version that also supports Silicon Dust tuners.  Otherwise, so long Geniatech and EyeTV for good.  And even if the fix does support that, I may just switch to Plex anyhow when this subscription runs out.  How they no longer support SiliconDust tuners is beyond comprehension.

Received from Geniatech 03.28.19

Hello Mel,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are at the collecting testing results stage. It goes well at present and we make great progress- most of the features works. There is some specific problems needing to be fixed. We will inform you when the service is back.

Kind regards,

Angela 

RECEIVED 03.28.19

Hello Mel,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are at the collecting testing results stage. It goes well at present and we make great progress- most of the features works. There is some specific problems needing to be fixed. We will inform you when the service is back.

Kind regards,

Angela