NotInUse

WHERE IS EPG DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I have been reading, they are getting close to resuming our EPG service.   Has anyone heard anything recently from Angela?

Edited by pdhill77

EPG data now available for EyeTV 3, but you won't like it.  Go to <https://us.geniatech.com/eyetv/> and check this out. Buy new hardware from Geniatech, then buy EyeTV 3 and you will be allowed to subscribe to the EPG.

Isn't that wonderful?

Edited by JimBob

You have found an old product listing.  Check out the reviews on Amazon and you will see this is not new.  Also the EPG service shows the icon of TVGuide not the new icon on the premium EPG that is on the current website.  Therefore EPG data IS NOT AVAILABLE YET.  

I have been corresponding with Angela in tech support for over 2 months.  She keeps sending me the same update and instructions, saying it's fixed.  It's not.  I don't know what their problem is.  I paid for a year's service and I didn't get the last 2 months of it.

Come on, Geniatech, fix this already!

In response to another email I sent them on April 5, I received a note on April 7 saying they were collecting test results and I would be informed when EPG service is back.  I suspect my Memorial Day weekend will be spent setting up Plex and abandoning EyeTV.

4 hours ago, djk_norman said:

In response to another email I sent them on April 5, I received a note on April 7 saying they were collecting test results and I would be informed when EPG service is back.  I suspect my Memorial Day weekend will be spent setting up Plex and abandoning EyeTV.

I am not sure why you think EyeTV has to be abandoned if it fails to deliver on EPG service in May. It works perfectly right now with EPG's from either of two North American sources: xmltvlistings.com (which I've been using since February with zero problems since I got it running) or schedulesdirect.org. Both look and behave just like TV Guide, and both offer annual subscriptions, a little less and a little more (respectively) than TV Guide. In fact even if EyeTV restores its EPG, I won't consider going back to subscribing to it until my XMLTVListings annual subscription ($19.95) runs out next Freburary. Instructions on how to set each service up on EyeTV were written up by members of this discussion forum and were posted in other discussion threads. The few comments I read on Plex as an alternative left me with the impression that EyeTV is vastly superior in what it does.

14 hours ago, WisconsinEric said:

I am not sure why you think EyeTV has to be abandoned if it fails to deliver on EPG service in May. It works perfectly right now with EPG's from either of two North American sources: xmltvlistings.com (which I've been using since February with zero problems since I got it running) or schedulesdirect.org. Both look and behave just like TV Guide, and both offer annual subscriptions, a little less and a little more (respectively) than TV Guide. In fact even if EyeTV restores its EPG, I won't consider going back to subscribing to it until my XMLTVListings annual subscription ($19.95) runs out next Freburary. Instructions on how to set each service up on EyeTV were written up by members of this discussion forum and were posted in other discussion threads. The few comments I read on Plex as an alternative left me with the impression that EyeTV is vastly superior in what it does.

The new EyeTV SW no longer supports SiliconDust - annoying as it is, but ...  I suspect, we'll see, the "fix" will be in SW and will not support the older EyeTV SW version that supports my SiliconDust tuners.  Could be wrong.  Also, time for computer upgrade at home (10 years is enough), and old EyeTV SW may stop working on new MacOS soon enough.  Just too much to think / worry about.  I can get other guides to work, but why?  Plex just works, I have lots of rave reviews from friends & colleagues.  And it removes commercials (well, we'll see how good that works).  I've recommended EyeTV in the past, but stopped when they stopped supporting SiliconDust; I felt a real change in the quality of the company at that moment.  And now, with the guide not working for 2+ months, not sure why I would want to continue to hitch my horse to the company?  And they never provided notice (advanced or otherwise) of stopping support to SiliconDust or Guide programming, there's just a real lack of any quality of support.  One had to figure out these "changes" - discover it - on one's own (wasting our time) then dig around the forums to find out what's happening.  Meh, they've probably lost me.

Yes,,, EyeTV software works right now,, however, I'm almost certain that the app will not be compatible or optimized for the next OS after Mojave.

Then, unless one doesn't update to the new OS,,, we will have bitten the dust.

From Geniatech:

"Blog 8: Eyetv 32-bit & macOS Mojave 10.14, HighSierra 10.13.4 (update 25th September 2018)

Recently, when starting 32-bit apps on a Mac, a window appears informing you that the application is not optimized for the current operating system of the Mac. This message also affects eyetv if the operating system version macOS Mojave 10.14, HighSierra 10.13.4 is installed on the computer. Irrespective of this information window, eyetv is in no way impaired in its operability and the usual quality. There are no negative effects on the computer and its data, eyetv runs without problems. As future versions of macOS are expected to limit the execution of 32-bit applications as the next step, we would like to inform our customers about the ongoing development of a 64-bit version of eyetv. With this 32 to 64 bit version step, eyetv as a smart TV platform will continue to meet eyetv’s expectations, which are also consistently fulfilled under iOS, Android and Windows."

Thanks for the encouraging (i think) note Holden,,, so currently, EyeTV software is 64 bit now? ,,Why the  window popup, when my version is the most recent?, I would like to think that the only thing Eyetv software developer has to worry about, is a 64 bit version. Hopefully , besides the 64 bit application necessity,, there isn't too much of a hump to produce a workable Eyetv SW  , See attached screen shot,,, I have a small collection of these popups " Not optimized, and will not work"

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 8.18.03 AM.png

^ No, the current version of EyeTV (build 7524) is 32-bit. So is the beta of the new build being done to bring their proprietary EPG on line (EyeTV Plus). That is build 7527, which can be downloaded (I checked, it is also 32-bit). The announcement just above your post is from last September, and to my knowledge there have been no meaningful developments on the 64-bit front since. Thus as far as anyone seems to know current versions of EyeTV will not run on Mac OS 10.15 (whatever follows Mojave).

To see which applications are 32 vs. 64 bit, click on the Apple Menu and select the first item, "About This Mac." Then select "System Report." From the menu items on the left, under "Software" select "Applications." The far right column will tell you whether an application is 64-bit or not. Click on it to sort and you'll have an alphabetical list of all 32-bit applications.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:06 PM, Holden said:

From Geniatech:

"Blog 8: Eyetv 32-bit & macOS Mojave 10.14, HighSierra 10.13.4 (update 25th September 2018)

Recently, when starting 32-bit apps on a Mac, a window appears informing you that the application is not optimized for the current operating system of the Mac. This message also affects eyetv if the operating system version macOS Mojave 10.14, HighSierra 10.13.4 is installed on the computer. Irrespective of this information window, eyetv is in no way impaired in its operability and the usual quality. There are no negative effects on the computer and its data, eyetv runs without problems. As future versions of macOS are expected to limit the execution of 32-bit applications as the next step, we would like to inform our customers about the ongoing development of a 64-bit version of eyetv. With this 32 to 64 bit version step, eyetv as a smart TV platform will continue to meet eyetv’s expectations, which are also consistently fulfilled under iOS, Android and Windows."

"OS, Android and Windows" - no MacOS, or just a typo?  I disagree expectations are fulfilled as SiliconDust support was dropped without notice and TV Guide has not worked for over 2 months.  Will SiliconDust support be brought back in the version supporting the new EPG?  If not, the "fix" is useless to me, and, I suspect, a significant portion of your customers.

Geniatech says I can't test the new release because I don't have an active subscription.  I _had_ an active subscription when their server went offline.  This is ridiculous.  I can't try the new software because the subscription expired and I can't get my subscription renewed until the new software comes out.  Come on guys!

On 5/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, RandySK said:

Geniatech says I can't test the new release because I don't have an active subscription.  I _had_ an active subscription when their server went offline.  This is ridiculous.  I can't try the new software because the subscription expired and I can't get my subscription renewed until the new software comes out.  Come on guys!

Please send a ticket to them.

• Like 1

These old discussion threads are now quite long, making current topics hard to find. So I just started a new topic under Discussions "EyeTV 3 Version 7528 release Experiences" so we can focus discussion of the new version there and make it easier for people to find. Thank you.

I'm in No America. Kept checking after months of no TV Guide. Finally able to pay for a subscription. Received receipt and renewal key. Link exploded over and over. Saw a recent Geniatech instruction on forum: EyeTV Preferences>Guide>Service (Note EyeTV Plus I guess because I'm No. America)>Account>showed Renewal box and red type Your subscipt has expired.>click on Renewal>entered subscription key as copied from my email>"Your EyeTV Plus subscription cannot be activated. The renewal code has already been used.

I've sent this info with request to Customer Service twice. With new month starting I'd like to get the Guide going and stop having to Schedule each recording manually!

Following up with response from Geniatech:

Thank you for contacting us.

1. To make EPG working, you need to download version 7528.

https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-3-6-9-7528/

TV guide is surperseded by EyeTVEPGPremium. Therefore, after installing, please click EyeTV/Preference/Guide/Service:EyeTVEPGPremium and sign in with your current email account.

If it without success, please run EyeTV Setup Assistant and complete the whole process.

2.Considering that it is fixed in July, we have informed you at that time, and Our service was interrupted on Feb 5, 2019. We decide to give you an extension of six months. If you accept it, please let us know.

3.Yes, you can use it on another computer. You just need to click EyeTV/Preference/Guide/Service:EyeTVEPGPremium and sign in with your current email account. 

Kind regards,

Angela        Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

My comment: I'm pleased to hear back from Geniatech with info like this. I'd LIKE to report that I'm all hooked up with TV Guide. But I don't.

I've told Support that I've tried the instructions (click EyeTV/Preference/Guide/Service:EyeTVEPGPremium and sign in with your current email account. If it without success, please run EyeTV Setup Assistant and complete the whole process.) and don't have a full TV Guide, just a few stations I don't want, all in grey, down to two stations then none within 4 days. I'm just glad manual recording can still be done with Schedule. Onward.

It is not necessary to use EyeTV's built in EPG. There are 2 alternative EPGs: xmltvlistings.com (which I use, see next paragraph) and schedulesdirect.org. Both are proven to work well with EyeTV, both produce 2-week listings for the channel lineup of your choice, and at a lower cost than EyeTVEPGPremium.  On screen they look just like TV Guide. It is not necessary to upgrade to EyeTV's latest build (#7528) to use them, they work perfectly with earlier builds. There has been a lot of discussion about them on various parts of this forum since TV Guide disappeared from EyeTV in the US in February.

About 6 months ago I worked out and posted a step-by-step guide to installing the EPG for xmltvlistings.com. There have been a few suggestions for improvement, especially in the past 2 weeks, so I've updated it and the revised Guide is posted here. Most of this is other people's work, which I simply collated and organized for convenience; be sure to see the Credits at the end of the Guide. Since various threads here have discussed EPGs, I'll post this in a couple of other relevant threads as well.

XMLTVListings EPG with EyeTV-Guide.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Eric!

If the document Eric posted isn't available to you, it's probably because you didn't log on.  If you can't get a eyetvforum account because you can't get the verification email (I couldn't using a comcast.com account), then try using a mail.com address to sign up here.  That worked for me.

As far as any other suggestions:

The instructions say XML listings work with at least build 7524, which is what Eric tested on.  I tested on 7520, so I suspect the instructions will work on any build of EyeTV 3.6.9.  YMMV.

If you go to your dashboard at xmltvlistings.com, you will see a support note about complaints from EyeTV users saying stations are in the wrong order.  That is not an xmltvlistings.com issue.  The problem can be fixed in EyeTV by going to the "Channels" screen and dragging each station to the order you would like it displayed.  EyeTV will automatically remember the new order until you 'rescan' or 'auto tune' your channels again (something you only do when a TV station in your area is new, or changes frequency -- a very rare event).

If you don't like the yearly auto-renew of your xmltvlistings.com subscription (the default), then you can change that under "Manage Subscription" on the xmltvlistings.com dashboard page.

Enjoy!   😁👍

• Like 1