WisconsinEric

EPG from XMLTVListings

21 minutes ago, WisconsinEric said:

^ This source explains how to do it; could Apple have made it any harder or less obvious?

Interesting. Apparently, if you upgrade an existing OS to High Sierra instead of a clean install, a visible Library folder is inherited. It's visible in my High Sierra clones.

2 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

Interesting. Apparently, if you upgrade an existing OS to High Sierra instead of a clean install, a visible Library folder is inherited. It's visible in my High Sierra clones.

Same for me, I had made the user/Library folder visible so long ago I forgot about the default, which is not visible. And yes, it does persist through multiple OS upgrades.

You can also put the Library folder in the side bar of the finder window. Then if the Library folder is ever hidden again the shortcut in the sidebar is still there. 

Thanks to everyone! MyY system (4 EyeTV Hybrids, a MacPro 5,1 and an OTA antenna) is now running well.

WisconsonEric"s pdf compilation and the appletoolbox link provided  by him was all I needed. should consider adding link to pdf.

The method provided by the helpful fellow members of this forum, especially Wisconsin Eric, for automating listings from xmltv.com has been working like a charm, with one bug I can't figure out: On one channel, a local PBS station, scheduled programs are being recorded by both tuners of the HDHR, creating two identical recordings. I thought it might have to do with creating Smart Guides, but deleting them has had no effect. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Any suggestions? Just as I was typing this, I thought a hard reset of the tuner might work.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Earl Noe said:

The method provided by the helpful fellow members of this forum, especially Wisconsin Eric, for automating listings from xmltv.com has been working like a charm, with one bug I can't figure out: On one channel, a local PBS station, scheduled programs are being recorded by both tuners of the HDHR, creating two identical recordings. I thought it might have to do with creating Smart Guides, but deleting them has had no effect. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Any suggestions? Just as I was typing this, I thought a hard reset of the tuner might work.

I use an EyeTV Hybrid (working ever since 2009, knock on wood) and am totally unfamiliar with HD HomeRun, so I'm afraid I cannot help with this one. Sorry.

9 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

If you rearrange the list of schedules in the left hand pane it can cause multiple schedules in the Archive folder. If you quit and restart EyeTV it will read the multiple schedules and you will get multiple recordings.

I also use EyeTV Hybrids but I noted this: I ended up with two recordings of "Face the Nation". One that was a half hour long as XMLTV listed showed (last half hour pre-empted by an infomercial, error in listing). And one that was the correct full hour. This one may have gotten its data from the ATSC guide. 

Still poking at it.

BTW Angela at Geniatech says they have a solution that is ready to test and offered me a chance to be  tester. I said yes. Now crickets.

7 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

If you quit and restart EyeTV it will read the multiple schedules and you will get multiple recordings.

Thanks. I never directly edit what is in the Schedules list and use the Guide.  EyeTV is running all the time. A hard reboot of the HDHR had no effect. Most annoying.

I have experienced this when the same channel (same broadcast station) is broadcasting on two different frequencies (but with the same logical channel).  In the channel listing, the channel shows up twice, and in the channel guide it may show up twice (unless it is unchecked in the channel listing).  Usually the reception is better on one frequency than the other.  (One might be VHF and the other UHF.)  This is probably not your situation, but just thought I would mention it...

1 minute ago, UnixGuy said:

This is probably not your situation, but just thought I would mention it...

Thanks. That is the case for this channel. I had hoped that unchecking one of the frequencies would fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to have. Unchecking one causes the corresponding Guide listing to go away, unchecking the other has no effect. I'm going to try deleting one channel from the channels list.

Unchecking one of the frequencies didn't get rid of future scheduled programs.  In my case, it was a "record all" situation.  I used some combination of "record all" and "remove all" clicks to get it so that only one copy of the "record" led was lit in the Guide window.  Then I unchecked the channel to avoid future confusion.  After all that, I only got one copy of recordings even though the doubled channel was still present in the Channel list (but unchecked).

I think it is also possible to directly disable future recordings in the Schedule window, but I'm not sure if that will unschedule more than one would wish.

Heard from Angela. She gave me a patch to test. Still not getting EPG data to fill in but not getting "server error" and series recordings I set up prior to the death of the EPG are back.

Earl...with PBS affiliates the local station often broadcasts multiple program signals...a welcome feature of digital broadcasting. In my market (Tampa, Florida) the local PBS affiliate has five additional broadcast channels.

"...WEDU’s other broadcast channels (WEDUQ, Create TV, The Florida Channel (local government programming), PBS Kids, and PBS World) in providing a robust collection of quality programming throughout 16 counties in West Central Florida."

In my 'xmltv' "pull-down" list of possible stations to associate with a given channel number, unless it shows you all of the PBS "sub-channels" in your market, you may have mis-associated two different PBS channels with the same (and often only associative choice).That could cause you to be getting two recordings of the same PBS channel program. Check your xmltv choices in the EPG pull-down for the two channels that recorded the same program.

Note: A few of the "Indie"channels in some markets also broadcast one or two separate and distinct programming offerings along with their main signal.

3 hours ago, Holden said:

Check your xmltv choices in the EPG pull-down for the two channels that recorded the same program.

Thanks for the suggestions. All three subchannels of my local PBS broadcast on two different frequencies. XMLTV had a listing for all of the subchannels, and though they were not named identically, a close inspection of the names allowed me to match them up. I did mis-assign the listing for one subchannel, but fixed that by deleting it from the Channels list, rescanning >Update scan, then assigning the right matchup.

The duplicate recording bug SEEMS to have been fixed by deleting one of the two frequencies in Channels for the offending Channel. Odd thing is, the duplicate recording bug has never happened with either of the other two subchannels, though they each have two frequencies. It was almost certainly caused by something I did, though I don't know what.