WisconsinEric

EyeTV 3 Version 7528 release Experiences

I am experiencing issues with the record timings on this new version. The recording buffer setting preference "Extend Recording" seems to be ignored and default to 2 minutes

I have reverted to the old version

You may or may not experience this issue. Please comment if you do and/or have a workaround

Stuart

All OK, now re my previous post on seeing Guide on iOS app on iPhone,,,I unchecked those preferences, quit app, restarted iMac, rechecked the boxes,, checked iOS app,, and now data is populated. 

Edited by roosterstoker
somehow my post was duplicated a couple of times

20 hours ago, stuartf said:

I am experiencing issues with the record timings on this new version. The recording buffer setting preference "Extend Recording" seems to be ignored and default to 2 minutes

You may or may not experience this issue. Please comment if you do and/or have a workaround

Stuart

Find "prepad" and "postpad" in com.elgato.eyetv.plist and change that to the wanted value. I do not advice this way unless you really know/understand what you are doing. (but then you didn't/t have to ask this question!)

Better is to use the official preferences. Change both values to anything, close preferences, open preferences, change to wanted values, close.

Edited by Ton

On 7/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, Rick Evarts said:

Downloaded version 7528 and it fixed all the problems I was having with the 7527 beta.  Got a six month extension on the TV Guide replacement.  I'm a happy camper!

I'm already going to have to virtualize High Sierra (or maybe Mohave) under Catalina to support some other 32-bit apps.  Maybe time to see how EyeTV behaves in a virtual machine...

SAME

On 7/23/2019 at 4:29 AM, Rick Evarts said:

Downloaded version 7528 and it fixed all the problems I was having with the 7527 beta.  Got a six month extension on the TV Guide replacement.  I'm a happy camper!

I'm already going to have to virtualize High Sierra (or maybe Mohave) under Catalina to support some other 32-bit apps.  Maybe time to see how EyeTV behaves in a virtual machine...

Hey Rick - what virtualisation platform are you thinking of using?

I have both Parallels and VMWare, but I’ll start with VMWare because Parallels has gone subscription and I hate subscription!  I also have Virtual Box but when I tried to use it in the past it gave new meaning to hard of use, and it (at least used to) only support Mac OS server.

I got 7528 working in a 10.14.6 guest os on a 10.14.6 host using parallels. But when trying to run the VM on 10.15, 7528 crashes after startup when playing a channel. 
I couldn’t get virtualbox to work, 7528 loads but no sound and huge lag on a 10.13 guest os on 10.14.6 host. 
love to hear how VMware goes. 

On 8/2/2019 at 4:07 AM, stuartf said:

Stuart

Same for me: recordings are only +1 minute long; and do not follow the Extend start/finish settings

Following Ton's advice didn't help (and the .plist file on my setup does not contain prepad and postpad fields)

On 8/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, stuartf said:

Stuart

Same for me.  I did a complete wipe of my Mac Mini (which was on Mojave), then installed 10.9.5 (the earliest version of MacOS that's compatible).  Same issue there, too - only eyeTV crashed all the time.  Then I upgraded to 10.10 and am still having the same issue.  I'll try the .plist thing next.

My issue: does EyeTV boot the computer when there's a scheduled recording?  It used to for me (I think) but it hasn't been doing it lately.  I have my Mini set to auto log in, so it shouldn't be a password issue.

34 minutes ago, PickleRick said:

My issue: does EyeTV boot the computer when there's a scheduled recording?  It used to for me (I think) but it hasn't been doing it lately.  I have my Mini set to auto log in, so it shouldn't be a password issue.

Briefly, the answer to your question is "no, not now or ever." I think you are probably referring to EyeTV waking the computer from sleep to record, which it does automatically and still should do. However, it cannot do anything if it isn't running (i.e., it will NOT auto record if you quit EyeTV). I don't think ANY software can boot a computer except internal within Apple's own OS. For EyeTV, the same would apply if the computer is running but you are logged out of your account. I am still using build 7524 (since my EPG needs were being met, I didn't need to upgrade to 7528), so I can't comment on features or problems with 7528.

Weird.  I distinctly remember that it did at one time.  I never set my computers to sleep - I shut them down every night.  There have been times that I've shut it down for the night (forgetting that something was scheduled), only for it to boot up an hour later in order to record a show.  Maybe my Mini was haunted.

I tried the .plist thing.  I opened it with Xcode and saw that the the settings were what I set them to be, so I changed them with Xcode.  EyeTV still didn't extend the recordings.  I have EyeTV set to record to an external drive - maybe that's the issue. 

My experience is that each time after EyeTV has been stopped and restarted the padding no longer works and has to be set. Even though I very seldom restart (and as a consequence have to start EyeTV) my iMac I decided to go back to V7523.

Problem solved.

16 hours ago, PickleRick said:

Weird.  I distinctly remember that it did at one time.  I never set my computers to sleep - I shut them down every night.  There have been times that I've shut it down for the night (forgetting that something was scheduled), only for it to boot up an hour later in order to record a show.  Maybe my Mini was haunted.

You got me thinking about this too, since I had memories of this happening as well. So, in the last half hour I tested it. First, I set a program to record and then quit EyeTV but left  my Mini running. A minute or so before the scheduled recording EyeTV launched itself and changed the channel on my Spectrum cable box to the desired channel and began recording. The, I set a program to record and then quit EyeTV AND I powered off the Mac as well and switched the TV's input to the cable box. A minute or so before the scheduled EyeTV program, I was surprised to hear the familiar start-up sound or "chime" and my cable box was changed to the scheduled EyeTV program. When I switched the TV's "input" back to the Mac Mini, it was indeed powered on and the cable box changed the its  channel to the channel the EyeTV was set record.

So...yes both things can and did just happen in my test...i.e. for a scheduled EyeTV program with EyeTV "quit". It relaunched itself to record the program. And if the Mac was powered off, it powered up the Mini and launched EyeTV and began recording the scheuled program. I never let my Mac go into "sleep"mode, so I don't know what happens when it is sleeping with regard to EyeTV. So, it appears if your Mini is haunted Rick, mine it as well.

5 minutes ago, Holden said:

You got me thinking about this too, since I had memories of this happening as well. So, in the last half hour I tested it. First, I set a program to record and then quit EyeTV but left  my Mini running. A minute or so before the scheduled recording EyeTV launched itself and changed the channel on my Spectrum cable box to the desired channel and began recording. The, I set a program to record and then quit EyeTV AND I powered off the Mac as well and switched the TV's input to the cable box. A minute or so before the scheduled EyeTV program, I was surprised to hear the familiar start-up sound or "chime" and my cable box was changed to the scheduled EyeTV program. When I switched the TV's "input" back to the Mac Mini, it was indeed powered on and the cable box changed the its  channel to the channel the EyeTV was set record.

So...yes both things can and did just happen in my test...i.e. for a scheduled EyeTV program with EyeTV "quit". It relaunched itself to record the program. And if the Mac was powered off, it powered up the Mini and launched EyeTV and began recording the scheuled program. I never let my Mac go into "sleep"mode, so I don't know what happens when it is sleeping with regard to EyeTV. So, it appears if your Mini is haunted Rick, mine it as well.

Well that's impressive. And I learned something and stand corrected. Thanks for running this definitive test and reporting the results. Is this with build 7524 or 7528? We would need someone with more technical expertise than I have to explain how this happens, but I assume that EyeTV ties into the Mac OS in some way to accomplish this. With additional Apple security in the newer OS's (e.g., Mohave), I wonder if this feature will continue to work? In a related aspect, I do know that if you accidentally quit EyeTV during a recording, the recording immediately stops . . . there should be a warning dialog box, but isn't (that's a small bug in EyeTV), as I've found out the hard way.

I am running the (7528) build on the Sierra Mini which I reported on above. I also have another newer Mini running Mojave so I ran my *test* on that Mini too. With a program scheduled and EyeTV turned off, it did relaunch EyeTV at the scheduled time and record as desired. But with the Mini powered off, EyeTV did not restart the Mac at the scheduled time. So, your hunch that Mojave's more advanced security does seem to prevent EyeTV from having its way and booting the Mojave Mac does seem to be correct.

9 hours ago, WisconsinEric said:

I do know that if you accidentally quit EyeTV during a recording, the recording immediately stops . . . there should be a warning dialog box, but isn't (that's a small bug in EyeTV), as I've found out the hard way.

I do have this warning dialog box (see attached image) in my EyeTV (build 7416 on Snow Leopard).  So EyeTV did have this feature in the past at least.

noquit.png

3 hours ago, UnixGuy said:

I do have this warning dialog box (see attached image) in my EyeTV (build 7416 on Snow Leopard).  So EyeTV did have this feature in the past at least.

noquit.png

Apparently it got lost by build 7524 (which I've been running for quite a while now on El Capitan), though I'm now so careful I don't think I've tried to quit or put the computer to sleep during a recording in quite some time. ;)

Edited by WisconsinEric

I still get the warning (Build 7528) with Sierra and Mojave. I also get the warning if I try to change the EyeTV channel while it is recording another channel.

There is a helper app call EyeTV Helper that schedules the restart for a recording. You can look in activity monitor to see if it is running. There was some issue in the past that the computer would shutdown to quickly before the helper could schedule the restart. Somewhere I wrote a script telling the computer to wait for EyeTVHelper to quit before shutting down. That might be still hanging around on my computer but I forgot how it works.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Holden said:

I am running the (7528) build on the Sierra Mini which I reported on above. I also have another newer Mini running Mojave so I ran my *test* on that Mini too. With a program scheduled and EyeTV turned off, it did relaunch EyeTV at the scheduled time and record as desired. But with the Mini powered off, EyeTV did not restart the Mac at the scheduled time. So, your hunch that Mojave's more advanced security does seem to prevent EyeTV from having its way and booting the Mojave Mac does seem to be correct.

I'm running EyeTV (7528) on a Mac mini running Yosemite and it's not booting up when a recording is scheduled.  It was running Mojave as of a few days ago.  Maybe there was a firmware update that blocked this ability.