WisconsinEric

EyeTV 3 Version 7528 release Experiences

After being away from this topic for a couple months I was glad to see they had a new build that supported HDHomerun hardware. So I installed 7528 and did some recording tests. I ran into the same pre and post padding issue. I changed the time to 0 in preferences then restarted EyeTV and changed it back to 3 min. I then scheduled a recording and it did the correct padding. Later last night it recorded 2 shows that were previously scheduled. Those had no padding. I am glad to see they have finally fixed the guide issue but I have SchedulesDirect working just fine and don't see a need to trust Geniatech again for my guide information. Looks like I am heading back to 7520. 

On a somewhat side note. Have they been doing anything that has actually improved the user experience in the last 3-4 builds? About a year ago I finally upgraded to 7520 but saw no improvements to anything with that update. 7524 removed HDHomerun support but did it add anything? Now 7528 breaks the recording padding and restores the guide that they were responsible for breaking in the first place. Maybe they have been doing some under the hood improvements but I have not seen any change in my user experience. I am glad they have not taken the Microsoft mentality of upgrades of just moving the same functions around with no improvement to the user just so they can say they have a new version. I will quit rambling now.

19 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

There is a helper app call EyeTV Helper that schedules the restart for a recording. You can look in activity monitor to see if it is running. There was some issue in the past that the computer would shutdown to quickly before the helper could schedule the restart. Somewhere I wrote a script telling the computer to wait for EyeTV Helper to quit before shutting down. That might be still hanging around on my computer but I forgot how it works.

You can see if the EyeTV Helper applet is installed by navigating to System Preferences->Users & Groups-> Login Items window and you should see it there with a toggle to 'hide". If it is not there, reinstall EyeTV. The Login Items window also shows an iTunes Helper... I've never seen any other except those two.

It looks like Geniatech continues to tinker with its support of the EyeTV 3 application...as the number following the build number in parenthesis is incrementing upwards. I have a download from about the time when a form of a television guide returned that was EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) 20190727 and the one available for download this morning is EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) 20190730.

40 minutes ago, Holden said:

It looks like Geniatech continues to tinker with its support of the EyeTV 3 application...as the number following the build number in parenthesis is incrementing upwards. I have a download from about the time when a form of a television guide returned that was EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) 20190727 and the one available for download this morning is EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) 20190730.

Also sometime within the last few days the number of programs listed under EyeTV Plus has exploded to an astronomical number (the number in the tiny circle to the right of the name). Not being a subscriber to it (still using 7524 and XMLTVListings) I don't know the reason. Let's hope one day soon their tinkering produces a 64-bit version. I'm about to buy a 2018 Mac Mini close to the time OS 10.15 comes out so I have 10.14 and the current EyeTV locked in for at least 2 or 3 years to give Geniatech time to catch up (replacing my 2010 Mini used as a media center).

I did another recording test and if I select a program in the Program Guide to record the puddings correct. When it records form a scheduled smart guide there is no padding. I wonder if 7528 only gets the padding correct if it is the version that actually scheduled the program?

I have never used "smart guides". To make sure there is enough padding, after the program is scheduled, I go into "Scheduled Programs", select the guide-scheduled program and increment the "start" time back one minute and the end time an additional minute from the one the schedule creates....seems to work except when recording time adjacent programs. In that case I use another Mac and its EyeTV to record the time adjacent program with the same padding increments for it's program.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, Syd said:

I got 7528 working in a 10.14.6 guest os on a 10.14.6 host using parallels. But when trying to run the VM on 10.15, 7528 crashes after startup when playing a channel. 
I couldn’t get virtualbox to work, 7528 loads but no sound and huge lag on a 10.13 guest os on 10.14.6 host. 
love to hear how VMware goes. 

Finally got around to playing with VMWare.  Installed High Sierra under Mohave and everything worked fine except I couldn't log into the EyeTVEPGPremium service.  Don't think that has anything to do with VMWare, though, because it's also happening on another (formerly working) installation.  Maybe they're now enforcing only one active installation login?

I'll have to dig out a spare Mac to install Catalina on, that's probably going to take a while...

So after putting it off a few weeks after I managed to buy the upgraded EPG, I tried getting it set up and of course it didn't work the first time as I feared. My fault of course cause I wasn't using the 7528 version. With that I got the Preferences to recognize my new subscription key but not until I wiped the EPG Database would the Program populate with listings. DTV has about 1,000 channels so it's gonna take a while, ( 10minutes!) then I'll have to delete about 950 of them. But it'll be good to have the listings back, I really missed the IMBD links it offered.

Ah, I saved my Channels! Whew! In the Channel window I see now that TV Guide has been replaced by EyeTV Premium in the EPG column. But going back to the Program guide it shows only one channel, yikes. Oh, well back to the default channel setting and manually deleting.

So I have 2 weeks worth of program guide and my IMBD links are still there. Have programed a few things to record just to test it out.

Fingers crossed.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, jpmist27 said:

Ah, I saved my Channels! Whew! In the Channel window I see now that TV Guide has been replaced by EyeTV Premium in the EPG column. But going back to the Program guide it shows only one channel, yikes. Oh, well back to the default channel setting and manually deleting.

Reporting back after 10 days and this version is kinda glitchy. At first in the Channels pane it didn't recognize that I receive my channels via the Composite input, but that fixed itself on it's own after a few minutes. But now I have another glitch.

After having been rock solid with the same cable box for several years, in the last year the program fails to tune to a channel I have set to record. It fails about 30% of the time. Wanting to record a movie, I'll get 2 hours of the wrong channel  instead.

I've been working thru the EyeTV Setup Assistant to get to the part where I can change how many channel numbers for the program can send to the IR blaster as well as buttons to enter after the channel and the speed the program sends the channel numbers. What I've found is when I close out the Assistant the program freezes for a few seconds or crashes. When I restart the program I have to go back and uncheck about 40 channels in the Channels pane that my cable box can receive that I don't want to watch. Then going to the program guide a random selection of 5 or 6 channels populate the guide and I have to manually update the guide to get it to show all the channels I have checked in the Channel pane. After a few times this is getting annoying. . .

If you're out there Angela I could use some help  . . .

Edited by jpmist27

Instead of unchecking the channels you don't watch, another way of getting them to fail to populate is by setting them to receive their guide from a service you don't have---for example xmltv.

Maybe ATSC would work too because that doesn't seem to update the guide until it is manually invoked or you tune to that station.

TV GUIDE is now populated and working for recording for me. It was getting pretty time-consuming using my Seattle PBS programs newsletter and the New function in Schedules. HOW this happened with Geniatech support involved several steps after changing to 7528 and failing with TV Guide activation key. In the end I cleared the EPG data base and used EyeTV Set up assistant, this time NOT choosing Satelite reception but scrolling down down to Local Listings (I use simple rabbit ears digital antenna). Lo and behold, after weeks of persistence, ye olde colourful TV Guide. I'm now easily recording and archiving/dropping Recorded programs onto my 8T x hard drive, which took a couple days to back up using a second 8T......

"Ask and ye shall receive, that your joy shall be full."

--Book of Angela 9:14

On 9/16/2019 at 9:22 PM, UnixGuy said:

Instead of unchecking the channels you don't watch, another way of getting them to fail to populate is by setting them to receive their guide from a service you don't have---for example xmltv.

Maybe ATSC would work too because that doesn't seem to update the guide until it is manually invoked or you tune to that station.

Thanks for that, but I think the issue is the program isn't writing or reading it's own preferences files properly. I did try what you suggested, but after closing and reopening the program the channels were all back to before I changed them.

It's getting tiresome to turn off 40 channels I don't want to see in the Program Guide so it's gonna be TitanTV for now till they get around to fixing this . . . 

That build solved most of my concerns. I still get hangs and crash when watching recordings full screen on my MacMini 2014.

Any people here using a 2014 Mini with that EyeTV having the same issue?

I have reinstalled the latest version of EyeTV, however the software is unable to playback OTA recordings of 59.94 fps. They are recorded properly as they can be played back by VLC. I have tried various deinterlace methods including "never" but the playback window freezes 10-30 seconds into the file or for that matter during live TV of a channel that is broadcasting in that format (CBC here in Canada). I have done the proper deinstall/reinstall to no avail. Any suggestions? (other than just watching recordings with VLC, I would like to watch the hockey games live.)

Can anyone tell me if the Apple IR Remote volume control anomaly has been corrected in this release?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I can't seem to find this topic anywhere although I'm sure I saw it a long time ago. I was unable to sign up for the discussion forum until recently.

To recap: With the change from Sierra to High Sierra, the behaviour of the up/down buttons on the old white Apple IR Remote (and I assume the silver one too, although I haven't got one to try) changed so that they no longer functioned properly within EyeTV.  (I can't remember now whether it was just volume control function that was lost, or whether navigating menus with the Apple remote was also lost.)  There was some discussion indicating that this was due to an Apple change, but some software developers fixed their apps to restore the functionality, whereas Geniatech (as I recall) threw their hands up and said there was nothing that could be done.

Seems like a small point but it has stopped me from updating my MacMini past Sierra because although I have the remote that came with my Hybrid tuner, it's way too complicated and I prefer the simplicity of the Apple IR remote.

While I'm here, shout-out to Wisconsin Eric from whom I learned how to restore the program guide!  Many thanks,

"Ontario" Mike

Thanks you MZB [^], I am glad the program guide instructions helped.

One new problem has cropped up, wonder if anyone else has noticed or found a way of dealing with it. I'm still back on EyeTV version 7525 since with XMLTV Listings I had no need to move up to 7528. In September I bought a new Mac Mini (replacing a 2010 model) ahead of the release of OS 10.15, so I'd be up to date but EyeTV would continue to run. Since upgrading that way to Mojave (OS 10.14), the time on the program progress bar has disappeared, which makes it harder to pick up where you left off if you change positions in a program (or even know how much is left). More specifically, the time shows at the right only as long as it exceeds one hour left to view; as soon as the counter ticks past an hour, the time vanishes. An obvious bug, and not the end of the world but annoying.

MY QUESTION: is this bug present in version 7528? (please specify whether what OS version you're running). Thanks.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:23 AM, Syd said:

I got 7528 working in a 10.14.6 guest os on a 10.14.6 host using parallels. But when trying to run the VM on 10.15, 7528 crashes after startup when playing a channel. 
I couldn’t get virtualbox to work, 7528 loads but no sound and huge lag on a 10.13 guest os on 10.14.6 host. 
love to hear how VMware goes. 

Wondering if this was ever resolved? I am trying to use EyeTV 3 in a Mohave VM on Catalina. Program consistently crashes as soon as there is an attempt to pen a TV window. Parallels support no help whatsoever. All worked fine under Mohave prior to upgrade.

{Currently using EyeTV 4 on Catalina but not happy with it!}

7 minutes ago, Rossh51 said:

Wondering if this was ever resolved? I am trying to use EyeTV 3 in a Mohave VM on Catalina. 

Nope - always crashed.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:23 PM, WisconsinEric said:

Thanks you MZB [^], I am glad the program guide instructions helped.

One new problem has cropped up, wonder if anyone else has noticed or found a way of dealing with it. I'm still back on EyeTV version 7525 since with XMLTV Listings I had no need to move up to 7528. In September I bought a new Mac Mini (replacing a 2010 model) ahead of the release of OS 10.15, so I'd be up to date but EyeTV would continue to run. Since upgrading that way to Mojave (OS 10.14), the time on the program progress bar has disappeared, which makes it harder to pick up where you left off if you change positions in a program (or even know how much is left). More specifically, the time shows at the right only as long as it exceeds one hour left to view; as soon as the counter ticks past an hour, the time vanishes. An obvious bug, and not the end of the world but annoying.

MY QUESTION: is this bug present in version 7528? (please specify whether what OS version you're running). Thanks.

WisconsinEric - I'm running EyeTV version 7528 on both a 2015 i7 27" iMac running 10.13.6 and a 2018 i7 Mac Mini running 10.14.6.  As I move the counter to less than an hour the time disappears on the right side on both Macs.  Hadn't noticed this before.

8 hours ago, JWA said:

WisconsinEric - I'm running EyeTV version 7528 on both a 2015 i7 27" iMac running 10.13.6 and a 2018 i7 Mac Mini running 10.14.6.  As I move the counter to less than an hour the time disappears on the right side on both Macs.  Hadn't noticed this before.

So it is the same problem; must have then started with at least 10.13. I had upgraded from 10.11 (where the time tracking counter for a program worked correctly) to 10.14, where it counts down to an hour and then disappears. Anyone report this to the EyeTV people, or figure out a workaround? No point in upgrading to version 7528 if the bug is still present there as well.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, jpmist27 said:

Thanks for that, but I think the issue is the program isn't writing or reading it's own preferences files properly. I did try what you suggested, but after closing and reopening the program the channels were all back to before I changed them.

It's getting tiresome to turn off 40 channels I don't want to see in the Program Guide so it's gonna be TitanTV for now till they get around to fixing this . . . 

Just FYI, my problem with the preference file not saving the changes made to my list of Channels was solved by reinstalling the MacOS. I'm in 10.10 now and EyeTV is now working fine. The reinstall also fixed a lot of random crashes I was having with EyeTV as well as the program failing to change the channel correctly for recording a show.

Problem I'm having now is that my Turbo.264 HD stick isn't being recognized by the neither OS or the EyeTV program so I can't use it . . .