Dee Cee

EyeTV 4 an unmitigated disaster from start to finish on macOS Catalina

I know it is probably meaningless, to ask about my problem, but this is life anyway. 

After using Eyetv 3 for more than 10 years with all sorts of Mac, I installed a Big Sur on my iMac pro and trying to use EyeTV 4. 

Works a bit. Using Netstream 4C I can not use my HD channels only in SD, all of them. Any idea how to get it to work in HD? 

After installing version 4 it could use my earlier setup. I did not have to rescan my channels. It was there. But all in SD. After rescanning it is the same, there are no HD channels anymore, all HD broadcast can be watched in SD only. 

Any suggestion?

7 hours ago, ferenc_k said:

I know it is probably meaningless, to ask about my problem, but this is life anyway. 

After using Eyetv 3 for more than 10 years with all sorts of Mac, I installed a Big Sur on my iMac pro and trying to use EyeTV 4. 

Works a bit. Using Netstream 4C I can not use my HD channels only in SD, all of them. Any idea how to get it to work in HD? 

After installing version 4 it could use my earlier setup. I did not have to rescan my channels. It was there. But all in SD. After rescanning it is the same, there are no HD channels anymore, all HD broadcast can be watched in SD only. 

Any suggestion?

Hello!

Just a suggestion: Download EyeTV reporter and save your config. After that reset your setup and start from scratch. Maybe this helps.

https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-reporter-64-bit/

Bye,

eweri

On 3/20/2021 at 8:32 PM, eweri said:

Hello!

Just a suggestion: Download EyeTV reporter and save your config. After that reset your setup and start from scratch. Maybe this helps.

https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-reporter-64-bit/

Bye,

eweri

Thanks for the suggestion, it did not help at all, unfortunately. Since I did the reset and reinstall everything after uninstalling there are no channels available even after several rescanning. 

This may be off topic . . . . but recently for no apparent reason, 8524 decided to change all my channels away from EPG  . . .

Many thanks for the suggestion. It worked!

On 3/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, ferenc_k said:

Thanks for the suggestion, it did not help at all, unfortunately. Since I did the reset and reinstall everything after uninstalling there are no channels available even after several rescanning. 

Hello Ferenc_k!

Maybe your LNB is damaged? A few years ago I had the problem that I only find around half of the channels I what I discovered during scanning that EyeTV found lots of channels at the first half of the process but no further channels after the scanning was half done. I don't remember any more what leads me to changing the LNB  but after that everything was fine again. 

I am using a SAT>IP-Server from Digital Devices and it works with EyeTV 4 and I tried it with my old EyeTV SAT and even that worked with EyeTV 4 without problems. So maybe your device is not supported or something is wrong with your LNB, cable or antenna. 

Hope this helps,

eweri

19 hours ago, eweri said:

Hello Ferenc_k!

Maybe your LNB is damaged? A few years ago I had the problem that I only find around half of the channels I what I discovered during scanning that EyeTV found lots of channels at the first half of the process but no further channels after the scanning was half done. I don't remember any more what leads me to changing the LNB  but after that everything was fine again. 

I am using a SAT>IP-Server from Digital Devices and it works with EyeTV 4 and I tried it with my old EyeTV SAT and even that worked with EyeTV 4 without problems. So maybe your device is not supported or something is wrong with your LNB, cable or antenna. 

Hope this helps,

eweri

I have a Netstream 4C and not the satellite version.

I borrowed another Netstream 4C, the situation is absolutely the same with it, no HD even the HD channels shown as very poorly resized, drop filed deinterlaced SD channels. While both Netstream 4C work with my iPhone in HD and my old Mac Mini with Eyetv3 in HD s well. 

So I am pretty sure the problem is not the receiver hardware, but a kind of bug or some special setup issue. 

I have a Hybrid T2/C USB tuner as well. It works in HD with the same Eyetv 4 license, but stuttering like hell, it is like 5-10 frames per second instead of 25. The deinterlacing options do no make any difference. I am using an 18 core iMac Pro with a 16 GB video card option and 64 GB RAM, so plenty of horsepowers to do proper decoding and deinterlacing. 

I contacted Geniatech through their support, their Facebook page, their Twitter channel, and even on Instagram publicly and in messages.

No luck. No answer. No help.  It is a shame.

I honestly can say they are far the worst company ever developed software for Apple operating system according to my almost 30 years of experience with Apple products.

I am dealing with Apple computers and all sorts of audio, video production, editing, and post-production systems since 1992.

Would you be so kind to let me know what Digital Device product you use with your Eyetv 4? Octopus NET? I feel the only solution will be to give up on either Eyetv4 or Netsream 4C or both. The Octopus Net seems a serious product if it can work on Mac (Big Sur) reliably. 

i bought EyeTV 4 a few days ago for EyeTV Sat Free. Immediatly after downloading the App on my iMac 2017 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 it offered an update, so i downloaded it as well. After starting EyeTV 4.00 (8524) all channels stuttered. I was pretty pissed. Later i found info in the forum to try the oder version. I replaced the App with the one in the trash, EyeTV 4.00 (8517). This one worked the way it should.

So i wonder, why is the crap version (8524) still around and why does Geniatech not pull the trigger and just use the older version (8517), which seems to work fine (at least over here).

Edited by krlklm

41 minutes ago, krlklm said:

i bought EyeTV 4 a few days ago for EyeTV Sat Free. Immediatly after downloading the App on my iMac 2017 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 it offered an update, so i downloaded it as well. After starting EyeTV 4.00 (8524) all channels stuttered. I was pretty pissed. Later i found info in the forum to try the oder version. I replaced the App with the one in the trash, EyeTV 4.00 (8517). This one worked the way it should.

So i wonder, why is the crap version (8524) still around and why does Geniatech not pull the trigger and just use the older version (8517), which seems to work fine (at least over here).

II think you have come to the wrong place for answers. version 8524 is now over a year old. They're only complaints. If I was Geniatech I'd be thoroughly ashamed, and definitely would not continue to sell products without working software.

A regressive step. 

Rewinding - much easier in eyetv3,impossible in eyetv4

Menu text- much bigger and accessible in eyetv 3, illegible in eyetv 4

Keyboard keystrokes changed for the worst from eyetv3 to eyetv 4.

(an eyetv user for over a 12 years)

It's been a while since I checked in, but here's an update.

I gave up with EyeTV 4.

I bought an old Mac Pro 3, 1 running Mac OS X El Capitan (which is showing its age with latest standards / browser etc. so I used the dosdude1 hack to upgrade it to High Sierra (the last Mac OS which supports 32-bit apps). I added a cheap WD Green 240GB SSD to boot from prior to installing the hack. It worked fine (if you follow his clear instructions).

Installed EyeTV 3 (courtesy of a backup copy I had on an old drive), ran set up assistant etc and it works effortlessly (as it always did). WOO-HOO!

I was curious about the recordings I'd made with EyeTV 4, so I copied them onto a USB stick and pasted them into EyeTV 3 on my old Mac Pro.

Result?

Recordings in EyeTV 4 can be pasted into your default EyeTV 3 folder. Once copied over, start EyeTV 3 and the recordings show up in the  'Recorded' section. They can be edited and exported without issue.

Exports from EyeTV3 once edited and exported, then copied over to my 5K iMac and added to TV App, play absolutely fine. No issues. Image quality from EyeTV 3 HD recordings is really good.

I know this is a less than ideal solution, but it works.

Obviously you don't need a Mac Pro to run EyeTV 3, any Mac limited to High Sierra will do, but the 8- Core Mac Pro I got (specs: 2 x Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core, 20GB DRAM, with nVidia GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Graphics card), was surprisingly cheap.

There have been an update or two since I last opened EyeTV 4, so I will install them and see what improvements (if any) there are (unless anyone can let me know here if exporting  / editing works now?).

Thanks.

I'm using the EyeTV 4 version 8527 (which will say it's 8526 but if you show properties it is slightly newer than the 8526 I previously had) on a Mac Studio running 12.3.1. It records fine, will export, and it seems you can edit too. I also kept my previous mac mini with Mohave and run EyeTV 3 on that using screen share. 

Hello,

@EYEMISSELGATO Which device you are using ? from which country ?

With my eyetv diversity only Eyetv 4 (8519) work fine for all channels in France with other version only 3 channels work fine and 34 channels with a lot of stuttering and dropped frames

Edited by Eric C