M|S

EyeTV 4 on ARM (Apple silicon transition)

Hey guys, for some years EyeTV and Mac OS iterations have been engaged in an tragically observable path of slow motion destruction... If at all possible, stick to EyeTV 3 and forget about Geniatech's disastrous attempts at trying to create a stable, full-featured 64bit version of EyeTV (4) that will ever work properly on future Mac OS builds. Geniatech developers have none of the genius developers surviving from the days when Elgato dev's created the finest TV capture/replay app running on any Major OS: On Mac OS version 10.14.06 running Elgato EyeTV 3 version 3.6.9 (7528) is close to perfection. So good is it, I've kept one Mac mini as a dedicated household server for my entire family's multimedia files; TV and HDTV... EyeTV 3, Film... VLC, Music... iTunes, Pictures... Photoshop, etc., Geniatech and Apple have careered around on incompatible and unstable builds, and we Geniatech Guinea pig customers have been given the roughest of rides. Catalina + App and OS updates have brought nothing but disaster. If you are going to stick with EyeTV to manage your time-delayed or real-time TV watching then you'll be best served sticking to a 32Bit EyeTV 3 app and the best second-hand Mac that can run Mac OS (Mojave) to keep you in the game. Stepping outside of that combination lays a path of tortuous indignities and mountainous, cataclysmic application crash-logs.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:07 AM, starliner said:

My Mac's usefulness/flexibility seemed to peak about 2013-2015.

Since then, Apple's relentless, yearly updates have cast off old functionality to advance other things. My computer is continuously headed toward doing less in the future than it has in the past.  SIP broke things, 64 -bit lost  many tools, Catalina broke a bunch of peripherals with the redo of drivers.  Now it looks like ARM will break what's left.

Apple's "vision" no longer lines up with what I want.  

Companies spend 10, 20,100 man-years developing something, then Apple makes an arbitrary change to create a new "fashion" in computing, obsoletes it all and expects it to be redone or else "oh, too bad -- bye-bye!". Doesn't bode well for the future. 

Did customers ask them to remove 32-bit support, switch to ARM architecture?

There has been a repetition of Apple Mac hardware changes all Mac developers are forced to comply with for their continuance of serving a niche audience. Apple do provide neat tools to aid development transitions, but too few developers truly comprehend the amount of additional work required to get their app/s running flawlessly. Usually we all wind up with ugly, needlessly bloated operating systems which require significantly more RAM when running the same apps which are now ten times bulkier with themselves grabbing more RAM than they were prior to the end life for whichever CPU/GPU Apple gives the elbow. This appallingly abusive business practice by Apple is why Mac owners are expected to pay considerably more for hardware and the almost identical apps which run on other operating systems.

1 hour ago, NealJ said:

Hey guys, for some years EyeTV and Mac OS iterations have been engaged in an tragically observable path of slow motion destruction... If at all possible, stick to EyeTV 3 and forget about Geniatech's disastrous attempts at trying to create a stable, full-featured 64bit version of EyeTV (4) that will ever work properly on future Mac OS builds. Geniatech developers have none of the genius developers surviving from the days when Elgato dev's created the finest TV capture/replay app running on any Major OS: On Mac OS version 10.14.06 running Elgato EyeTV 3 version 3.6.9 (7528) is close to perfection. So good is it, I've kept one Mac mini as a dedicated household server for my entire family's multimedia files; TV and HDTV... EyeTV 3, Film... VLC, Music... iTunes, Pictures... Photoshop, etc., Geniatech and Apple have careered around on incompatible and unstable builds, and we Geniatech Guinea pig customers have been given the roughest of rides. Catalina + App and OS updates have brought nothing but disaster. If you are going to stick with EyeTV to manage your time-delayed or real-time TV watching then you'll be best served sticking to a 32Bit EyeTV 3 app and the best second-hand Mac that can run Mac OS (Mojave) to keep you in the game. Stepping outside of that combination lays a path of tortuous indignities and mountainous, cataclysmic application crash-logs.

I agree EyeTV 3 is the best, and from what I've read I'd agree about EyeTV 4 being a total dud.

How do you serve your EyeTV recordings to other Macs or devices? I know you export/convert them, but I never got a script working to automate getting them to Plex, so found it a hassle.

I use EyeTV (3) Sharing between other household Macs, but that won't be an option once I upgrade some.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:11 AM, todd said:

I agree EyeTV 3 is the best, and from what I've read I'd agree about EyeTV 4 being a total dud.

How do you serve your EyeTV recordings to other Macs or devices? I know you export/convert them, but I never got a script working to automate getting them to Plex, so found it a hassle.

I use EyeTV (3) Sharing between other household Macs, but that won't be an option once I upgrade some.

I use two apps: Serve to Me http://zqueue.com/servetome and partner app Stream to Me (adding the EyeTV Archive folder to the Serve to Me Server list allows people to scroll through the mpeg folders it contains). The alternative is exporting all of the EyeTV recorded files as MPEG streams which allows Stream to Me and VLC to see and play the files as well.

Hi,  I used the latest eyetv 3.x for many years on my Mac mini 2010 with an eyeTV hybrid with an antenna for USA TV recording.  The online TV guide stopped working a few years ago and I never got it to work again and just used manual recordings a few times.

After looking for other options, I decided to try again and installed EyeTV 4 yesterday on my M1 mini.  I thought the TV guide for one year came with EyeTV 4, but it didn't seem to so I had to purchase guide for North America separately.  Setting up the TV guide was a real pain and I got error messages and the link they sent me for activation didn't work.  Finally the TV guide is showing up.  I can watch live TV.  I scheduled a few shows for recording and that worked.  

I'm running:  Mac mini 2020 with M1 ARM processor, 16GB, Big Sur Version 11.1, System firmware version 6723.61.3, EyeTV 4 (8524), Premium EPG North America,. Elgato Eye TV Hybrid USB tuner (North America 2010) connected to a digital antenna (ATSC).  During the app installation I got a popup that Rosetta2 was required and I installed that.

56 minutes ago, Brad B said:

Hi, I used the latest eyetv 3.x for many years on my Mac mini 2010 with an eyeTV hybrid with an antenna for USA TV recording. The online TV guide stopped working a few years ago and I never got it to work again and just used manual recordings a few times.

After looking for other options, I decided to try again and installed EyeTV 4 yesterday on my M1 mini. I thought the TV guide for one year came with EyeTV 4, but it didn't seem to so I had to purchase guide for North America separately. Setting up the TV guide was a real pain and I got error messages and the link they sent me for activation didn't work. Finally the TV guide is showing up. I can watch live TV. I scheduled a few shows for recording and that worked.

I'm running: Mac mini 2020 with M1 ARM processor, 16GB, Big Sur Version 11.1, System firmware version 6723.61.3, EyeTV 4 (8524), Premium EPG North America,. Elgato Eye TV Hybrid USB tuner (North America 2010) connected to a digital antenna (ATSC). During the app installation I got a popup that Rosetta2 was required and I installed that.

•  

do yo have a the macmini remote ? does it work ?

EyeTV 4 is working for me on an M1 MacBook Air.  I actually came to check the forum to see why command+w does not close a window.  How did they manage to break that?

I have the M1 Mac Mini and also can confirm EyeTV 4 does run. 
But seems like a downgrade :( 

the on screen remote is gone;

the quick channel selector menu which use to overlay the image has disappeared ; so I have to manually scroll through channels with + and - 

Sometimes channels will display in a squashed 4:3 ratio so I would have to close the window and reconnect which usually fixes the aspect ratio back to 16:9

It will frequently randomly start recording a channel?

it’s a shame because the previous version was basically perfect 

I hope the developers don’t give up on updates!

I also have the M1 Mac Mini and can confirm EyeTV 4 is running.

But I am not able to hear Dolby Sound - it ist always Stereo. (HDMI is no longer visible as an Output device).

Has someone a solution for that ?

Latest Version (Build 8524) is working on my Mac mini M1 but video playback is choppy and cpu usage high (50% to 60% all time time). I really hope they bring out a native M1 version.....

19 hours ago, Jan Osch said:

Latest Version (Build 8524) is working on my Mac mini M1 but video playback is choppy and cpu usage high (50% to 60% all time time). I really hope they bring out a native M1 version.....

Today install the EyeTV 4 in my M1 mac mini and confirm these symptoms.

Also the elgato remote control it's not functional with elgato hybrid. Do you have the same problem? 

I can confirm it works on my new iMac M1 ... but ... sometimes it stops in live-tv and also if I play some older, recorded movies.

It happens in HD-channels and in standard-resulotion.

(before I had an Intel-iMac,used Eye-TV 3 with the same SAT-decoder (eye tv sat free) and had never such issues.

anybody with some hints for me? Thanks in advance!

On 2/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, Rayd said:

the quick channel selector menu which use to overlay the image has disappeared ; so I have to manually scroll through channels with + and - 

I found out (upgrade to M1 and eye tv 4 today...) that you can quick change the channel by clicking the channels logo bottom left corner, a menu with all channels pops up. 

hint: you cannot close it with ESC, you need to click in the icon again and the menu disappears.

well hidden feature and I wonder why some UI-elements moved across the screen from down to up and so on...

14 hours ago, falkgottschalk said:

I found out (upgrade to M1 and eye tv 4 today...) that you can quick change the channel by clicking the channels logo bottom left corner, a menu with all channels pops up. 

hint: you cannot close it with ESC, you need to click in the icon again and the menu disappears.

well hidden feature and I wonder why some UI-elements moved across the screen from down to up and so on...

i will ask this again as i will never upgrade due to the fiasco of EYETV, do yo have a the macmini remote ? does it work ?

I mean the metallic remote

The old metallic IR remote doesn't work with newer Mac Minis, including the M1 version. They don't have an IR receiver. Apparently you can use an Apple TV remote to control them, but I have no idea if they would work with Eye TV.

11 minutes ago, Chris M said:

The old metallic IR remote doesn't work with newer Mac Minis, including the M1 version. They don't have an IR receiver. Apparently you can use an Apple TV remote to control them, but I have no idea if they would work with Eye TV.

i do not have the new one, i have the original late-2015. which works with eyetv3 , my question is if it works with eyetv4 as i have conflicting response on that. and you can image that TV  viewing without a remote is not usable. 

@great_vc In this version of EyeTV 4 remote control don't supported. In next release there is some possibility to work like in EyeTV 3.

Personally when i move to new M1 mac mini, i gave the aluminum remote control as a gift (βλακεία μου) to a new owner of my old intel imac.

8 hours ago, great_vc said:

i will ask this again as i will never upgrade due to the fiasco of EYETV, do yo have a the macmini remote ? does it work ?

I mean the metallic remote

Sorry, no such remote available. But the SAT-TV Free came with its own remote control which also does not work any more. (What is not an big issue for me as I only use it in the HomeOffie to watch tv from time to time in the 2nd screen)

21 hours ago, stelios1914 said:

@great_vc In this version of EyeTV 4 remote control don't supported. In next release there is some possibility to work like in EyeTV 3.

Personally when i move to new M1 mac mini, i gave the aluminum remote control as a gift (βλακεία μου) to a new owner of my old intel imac.

@stelios1914 yeah, and that is one of the reasons i will not upgrade from Mojave. Its not that v4 is steady and have no bugs (😅) but not having a remote in TV is completely pointless.

σε ευχαριστώ!

Edited by great_vc
  • Thanks 1