bilzabub

given up on eyetv

I gave up on eyetv over the weekend,  after nearly 10 years with my eyetv,  and more then 2 years without a working update I gave up on eyetv and moved on to a Tablo, and over the few days I've been really happy so far,  using the free "tablotools" software I can download files directly off my Tablo to my mac,  and it streams to my appletv.  

I'm sad to depart eyetv,  there was so much right with it until it was abandoned.

Well, I gave their website a quick scan, but didn't seen anything there to abandon my EyeTV setup. I have a dedicated 2012 Mini system frozen on 10.12 and will keep it there until they take it from my cold dead hands . . .

My setup depends on being able to take an hdmi connection from a cable box so I didn't see any way to do that with the Tablo.

And am curious, does the Tablo allow you to record a streaming signal from Netflix, Showtime etc? Are you able to end up with a video file from a streaming show?

the Tablo only records broadcast TV,  if you are looking for something to record from HDMI,  you might look at some HDMI capture cards (HDMI - USB)  and then use quicktime to capture.  You might have to put anHDMI EDID in line as well if the card won't talk tot he HDMI source.

• Like 1

Is EyeTV 4 stable enough on Catalina? From what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like it. I'm not going to buy/install Parallels just to get a TV tuner working. Tablo looks like an interesting product.

I've been watching EyeTV 4 for a year now waiting to upgrade my Mac Mini to Catalina and over the past year, I've come to the conclusion that EyeTV 4 is buggy as heck and it doesn't seem to be getting fixed anytime soon.  I will continue to watch it because I loved EyeTV 3 and also have an EyeTV hybrid which I love.    I've been pretty impressed with the Tablo over the last week and a half that I have had it, I would say that the auto commercial skip is a bit hit and miss but the appletv interface is really nice and having the guide pop up with posters images for the shows is a big step up from anything I've ever gotten from my EyeTV.   

On 8/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, bilzabub said:

You might look at some HDMI capture cards (HDMI - USB)  and then use quicktime to capture.  You might have to put anHDMI EDID in line as well if the card won't talk tot he HDMI source.

Thank for your replies!  

I suppose I'm fortunate to be able to keep an old 8 year old Mini in service with an old OS and EyeTV but I'm puzzled why other's don't consider that an reasonable option? As unhappy as it makes us all, the EyeTV program is dead-  the original programmers are long gone and there is no hope for it to be modernized to Apple's OS  and zero hope when Apple changes to their own new processor chips.  HDMI licensing and DRM issues have made making the HDMI boxes too expensive to market where the rest of the video world has moved on to streaming

As long as my Cable service doesn't abandon the box I've been using for over 10 years, the EyeTV program will continue to allow me to record shows, archive and share them in any format I want, have the wonderful skip forward option plus an integrated TV guide. EyeTV works as well today as it did the day I got it, I dunno why that's not enough?

Apologies for the rant . . .

There are many reasons why people are moving forward with OS upgrades,  some of it is drivin by other apps that we need for other functions that no longer support the older OS.  

• Like 1

Thanks, different strokes - different folks, certainly everyone's situation is different. Mine is that I have old Apple Mini's lying around cause I never got around to selling them off when I upgraded to a newer one. I also have my TV as the monitor for my EyeTV 2012 Mini and it works as well now as it did 8 years ago. I do nothing else on that Mini but check IMBD and sports scores on ESPN on Safari so I honestly don't care what bells and whistles Apple loads on every new bloated OS they put out. Maybe when everything is 4K I'll have to upgrade but that's likely a long way off . . .