Taipan

EyeTV 3>4 ibrary compatibility

I'm considering testing whether EyeTV 4 (on Mac) is usable. Is the library format compatible to EyeTV 3? Can I test it with my existing library and go back to version 3 if I don't like it?

If you're not on Catalina, then stick to EyeTV 3, it's a mature product that works well. EyeTV 4, on the other hand, like the recent Presidential Debate, is a s**tshow. It behaves like an early beta, and the developers show no sign of any interest in making it better.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the info! It’s currently one of two apps (the other being Rosetta Stone) that keeps me from moving to Catalina / Big Sur. Unfortunately, I don’t see any viable alternative, either. I considered using EyeTV 3 in a VM, but since it’s supposed to wake the machine for recording, that’s not an option. 

Edited by Taipan

On 10/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, paulmacsmurf said:

If you're not on Catalina, then stick to EyeTV 3, it's a mature product that works well. EyeTV 4, on the other hand, like the recent Presidential Debate, is a s**tshow. It behaves like an early beta, and the developers show no sign of any interest in making it better.

Okay, well a week later: now that Build 8523 has been released, it actually seems to be working okay! Editing has pretty much reverted to how it was in EyeTV 3, the thumbnails are showing up okay in the editing timeline, and it seems to work like it should. There are now at last more export options, and the picture no longer stutters. Other than two "View" items in the menubar, and the fact that once you start exporting an item you can't stop it without quitting the app, for the first time it actually feels like a finished product. (Note: I'm in the UK, using an HDHomeRun Connect.)

• Like 1