rebel1970

EyeTV 4 on macOS "Big Sur"

Hi,

I use EyeTV 4.0.0 (8524) and an old elgato eyetv 320 with Firewire connection here.
On macOS "Catalina" works very fine. But now on macOS "Big Sur" EyeTV 4 crash my iMac with kernel panic if I use my old eyetv 320 device. This is reproduce here.
I use Apple original Thunderbold to Firewire adapter.

What's problem?

Edited by rebel1970

I have sort of the same experience.  I use an EyeTV 200 box with Firewire 400 connection.  A FW 400 to FW 800 cable then plugs into an Apple FW 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter which in turn plugs into a TB 2 to USB3/Thunderbolt 3 adapter which connects to my 2017 iMac.   The EyeTV 200 box needs an external power adapter because this cable kludge can't provide enough power for this old power hungry device.  Strangely this all worked perfectly in Catalina, and I can still use it now that I have upgraded to Big Sur.  But once I quit the EyeTV app, there is a loud buzzing sound momentarily from the speakers and then the iMac restarts with an error message.  I have tried disconnecting things in different orders.  Still to try is shutting off the external power to the EyeTV 200 before I quit the app or disconnect the cable chain.

The same problem here with an EyeTV 320 SAT receiver!

- Mac mini 2018, macOS 10.15(Mojave), TB3 - TB2 adaptor, TB2 - Firewire 800 adaptor, Firewire 800 - 400 adaptor: EyeTV 3.2 crashes.

- Mac mini 2018, macOS 10.15 (Mojave), TB3 - TB2 adaptor, TB2 - Firewire 800 adaptor, Firewire 800 - 400 adaptor: EyeTV 4 crashes.

- Mac mini 2018, macOS 11.1 (Big Sur), TB3 - TB2 adaptor, TB2 - Firewire 800 adaptor, Firewire 800 - 400 adaptor: EyeTV 4 crashes.

- Mac mini 2011, macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), TB2 - Firewire 800 adaptor, Firewire 800 - 400 adaptor: with EyeTV 3.2 no problems.

On 11/15/2020 at 6:30 PM, rebel1970 said:

Same problem. kernel panic on big sur 11.1 when quitting eyetv 4 on iMac, using elgato eyetv 410 via firewire to thunderbold adapter.

Worked fine up to yesterday with Catalina.

What I tried:

- having the 410 connected to power supply (no way, kernel panic)

- unplug firewire cable from the back of 410 (no way, kernel panic when unplugging)

- tried an eyetv DTT USB spare device I have => it DOES work, no kernel panic on quit

So, there is something weird going on between big sur, iMac and the eyetv 410

On 12/28/2020 at 12:27 AM, cala.vera said:

Same problem. kernel panic on big sur 11.1 when quitting eyetv 4 on iMac, using elgato eyetv 410 via firewire to thunderbold adapter.

I also have a problem with the Elgato EyeTV software & the firewire 410 hardware unit as I cannot register the eyeTV 4 software. I have a clean install of Big Sur (11.1) having upgraded from a clean install of 10.14 on a SSD external drive. So new installation of everything, purchase the new software (EyeTV4.0.0_8524) go to install the software and get to the registration page, enter the software key which is accepted, installer rolls over to the next page momentarily and bang! Black screen, iMac reboots of it's own accord and I get the classic kernel panic display, press any key to continue and it boots up with the installer ready for another repeat. iMac (27" Retina 2014) is connected to a StarTech disk caddy and then the Apple Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adaptor. Nothing else is on the chain apart from these two items.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, VictoriaDave said:

I have sort of the same experience.  I use an EyeTV 200 box with Firewire 400 connection.  A FW 400 to FW 800 cable then plugs into an Apple FW 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter which in turn plugs into a TB 2 to USB3/Thunderbolt 3 adapter which connects to my 2017 iMac.   The EyeTV 200 box needs an external power adapter because this cable kludge can't provide enough power for this old power hungry device.  Strangely this all worked perfectly in Catalina, and I can still use it now that I have upgraded to Big Sur.  But once I quit the EyeTV app, there is a loud buzzing sound momentarily from the speakers and then the iMac restarts with an error message.  I have tried disconnecting things in different orders.  Still to try is shutting off the external power to the EyeTV 200 before I quit the app or disconnect the cable chain.

I have proven (to myself) that it is the EyeTV application which doesn't like Big Sur.  If I connect the entire chain of adapters and Firewire cables (because my external CD/DVD player is also a Firewire Device and is on this chain), I can run the CD/DVD drive to look at CD content and then just disconnect everything and no crash of Big Sur.  (As long as I didn't launch the EyeTV app.)  In other words, Big Sur is happy with my whole adapter/cable string but not the EyeTV app going away.

I have the same problem with Big Sur and firewire. Problem is on my MacMini with M1 and on my iMac with I5. 
The computer crashes for 2 cases:

1. Ending EyeTV
2. Plug the firewire connector out of the sat receiver (and EyeTV is on)

If the firewire cable is not plug in, EyeTV has no problems.

It seems that the he EyeTV firewirehandling has a problem with Big Sur.

I created a ticket at geniatech, but i get no answer....

Bad support.

I hope a new update will solve the problem.