Schorschinjo

EyeTV version native to Apple's iSilicon M1 and Big Sur

Just kidding and no expectation that this would be realistic.

But as we are in the days of the introduction of Apple's iSilicon to the end user market, one could think that a mature product like EyeTV might have a schedule for this...

😉

Probably some user (or even an official person from Geniatech) could indicate, his or her experience whether the current version of EyeTV4.0 runs on the M1 under Big Sur in Rosetta2.0 and to what extent? Thanks in advance!

I'll bet there are quite a few of us out there still using Eyetv and wanting an Apple silicon version. I wonder if a paid upgrade would help it happen?

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 6:41 AM, Ian said:

I'll bet there are quite a few of us out there still using Eyetv and wanting an Apple silicon version. I wonder if a paid upgrade would help it happen?

A version for Apple Silicon? Let all hope go...

On 12/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, Hans Mayer said:

In the meantime, has anyone tried to install/use EyeTV under Rosetta2?

V4 runs here under Big Sur and M1 without major problems so far.

I can also confirm that EyeTV runs on an M1 Mac - MacBook Air M1 8GPU/16GB. It's not as polished as V3, but I'm very pleased that it works. Can't complain about the price either.

Thank you Geniatech!

May I ask what TV hardware you guys are using? I have just tried installing my old EyeTV Hybrid stick (for DVB-C reception) on an M1 Macbook Air, and EyeTV 4 repeatedly stalls during channel search.

Hello Hannes,

I use an old hybrid stick (DVB-C) from 2008 or so on a Mini M1 and have no problem with it.
In the old V4 beta thread, which has been deleted, it was reported from time to time about hybrid sticks that did not run properly under EyeTV 4, if I remember correctly it depended on the serial number.

Stick.jpg

@MiaSanMia.MUC: Thanks a lot for the information!

@Geniatech: Could you perhaps clarify? Right now, I have even two Eye TV Hybrid Sticks (Model EU 2008) available. The S/N of the first one starts with 090 as in MiaSanMia's screenshot, the other one with 110. Both work fine with EyeTV 4 on Intel, but I did not succeed to activate any of them using EyeTV 4 on an M1 mac.

Hello Hannes,

another trick which worked for me: make a backup of the Intel Mac's settings with EyeTV Reporter and restore them to the M1. Should work, I once did something similar when my iMac went into the eternal hunting grounds and I fortunately had a backup (I do this from time to time after an Eye-TV update, so not so often) and all settings and channel lists were available to me on the replacement computer with the help of the backup.

Fred

Hi Fred,

thanks for this hint too! Unfortunately it did not help me any further – I now do see the channel list in EyeTV 4, but whenever the software tries to access the tuner, it issues a "please wait a moment" message and that's it. I have left this alone for hours, but it stops at this point.

My assumption is that there is some piece of driver software or something similar missing which is not translated by Rosetta or not installed at all on Big Sur. On the other hand, I am then wondering why you and a couple of other people succeeded in making this work on M1 hardware.

When I did an install of EyeTV 4 on Big Sur on the M1 mac, it basically only copied and translated (via Rosetta) the EyeTV 4 app. There were no additional installations, requests  for permissions etc. Is this the expected behavior or is just something missing?

Edited by HannesR

Hello Hannes,
I have not done anything special at the time when the M1 came, except I installed everything manually and did not use a backup, I wanted to sweep through because since my iMac from 2014 I had always just updated.

I would use EyeTV Reporter to delete the installation and reinstall from the beginning, no drag n' drop from a backup or something.

Keep your fingers crossed

Fred

Edit: What I can think of just now: do you have the stick directly on the Mac or on a hub? If at the hub, maybe plug it directly into the Mac? I have my stick on an (active) hub, but you never know ...

Hi Fred,

thanks so much for your efforts to help! Just to give a feedback: Unfortunately, none of these ideas solved the problem so far.

I even installed a clean Big Sur on an external SSD and made a fresh install of EyeTV 4 there. Actually no other software on the system than these – same result.
Now I tried a couple of different cables and adaptors (I do have to adapt the USB-A plug of the stick to the USB-C port of the MBA M1 which I use for the testing) – also no difference. A hub was never involved. But maybe I should actually try one with an external power adaptor, just in order to try to provide more current to the stick?!

I'll keep on experimenting... 😉

BTW I have to admit this all is only preparation or experimental. Currently I still use an EyeTV 610 on a 2015 Intel 21.5" iMac, which works like a charm. But I'm heavily thinking about replacing this iMac with the supposed 24" M1 model, whenever it may appear. But on the iMac I would not want to miss TV reception. It seems already clear that the Firewire-based EyeTV 610 does not work on M1 (even with adapting TB3->TB2->Firewire), but I was hoping that the USB hybrid stick would...

To give another update: I had now ordered a new EyeTV T2 hybrid stick, and with this newer hardware, everything works fine now on my M1 MBA. So I suppose that both of the 2008 sticks which I have available here (despite the different starting figures of their serial numbers) are probably too old to be supported. Interestingly, both of them still work fine with EyeTV 4 on Intel – but none of them on the M1.

This made a 120 Euro upgrade necessary, but now I think I'm prepared to switch my iMac to a M1 successor whenever this will become available.

Again many thanks to Fred for your efforts to help me!

Edited by HannesR
  • Thanks 1

You're welcome. Although it was no help to you.
Of course, it's not so nice that you had to buy new hardware. On the other hand, when I think of my sticks (I have three of them) they have served me faithfully for over 10-15 years.
One of them I had to heat up 3 times in the oven to 200 degrees to reconnect all solder points.

best regards
Fred

• Thanks 1

Le 26/12/2020 à 21h35, MiaSanMia.MUC a déclaré :

Une version pour Apple Silicon ? Laisse tout espoir s'en aller...

V4 tourne ici sous Big Sur et M1 sans problèmes majeurs jusqu'à présent.

Moi j'ai essayé sur un imac M1 et BigSur et cela ne fonctionne pas , je viens d'acheter la version 4 du logiciel et j'utilise une clé EYETV/DTT.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, Schorschinjo said:

Just kidding and no expectation that this would be realistic.

But as we are in the days of the introduction of Apple's iSilicon to the end user market, one could think that a mature product like EyeTV might have a schedule for this...

😉

Probably some user (or even an official person from Geniatech) could indicate, his or her experience whether the current version of EyeTV4.0 runs on the M1 under Big Sur in Rosetta2.0 and to what extent? Thanks in advance!

I Installed EyeTV4 (and paid for a new key) on my Mac Studio and tried it with the EyeTV Hybrid from my old iMac.

Nothing comes from the antenna. And when I closed and started again the Mac, the EyeTV 4.0 started automatically... and crash the computer.

Had to started it again and delete EyeTV4 in the first second to prevent a new crash. What should I do ? Is EyeTV still in operation ? Thank you everybody : -)