pweil

which version with 10.15/Catalina

I've been using EyeTV for several years on an older machine. Now I'm trying to run it on a 2016 Macbook Pro running MacOX 10.15 (Catalina). The EyeTV 3 version I have is 3.6.9 (7416). When I launch it, it says the app must be updated and won't run. So I track down this site, and Geniatech has 3.6.9 (7521) listed as available for download. But clicking the link does nothing. And is this even the version I need? Will it run on Catalina? What versions of EyeTV3 and Mac OS are people running?

Update: I finally was able to download the later build of 3.6.9. But launching it gives me this message:

"The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information." So is there a version that works with Catalina?

8 hours ago, pweil said:

So is there a version that works with Catalina?

Yes, EyeTV4. Catalina only runs 64bit applications and EyeTV3 is 32bit. Either downgrade to Mojave https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/downgrade-macos-version/ or buy EyeTV4.

I've been using 3.6.9 (7628) with Mojave for a while now and can't really say I'm that impressed: EyeTV3 either seems to hang or crash after running for a few days. What I've read about EyeTV4 isn't really encouraging either regarding stability + you can't use ETVComskip (at least, not yet)...

Thanks. Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with running EyeTV 3 on my ten-year-old MacBook, both of which have served me well for a lot of years. What is the deal with Geniatech? Their .us domain contains no info at all about EyeTV 4. Their .euro domin does. From I've read so far, EyeTV 4 doesn't even sound stable. One wonders why they even bought out elgato.

Despite my experience with Mojave I'd still say EyeTV 3 is the way to go, for now at least.

Regarding Geniatech I have no clue. The US and EU always was a somewhat different market hardwarewise even in Elgato days but still the software was the same. With Geniatech this seems changed. 

On 6/8/2021 at 3:04 AM, pweil said:

Thanks. Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with running EyeTV 3 on my ten-year-old MacBook, both of which have served me well for a lot of years. What is the deal with Geniatech? Their .us domain contains no info at all about EyeTV 4. Their .euro domin does. From I've read so far, EyeTV 4 doesn't even sound stable. One wonders why they even bought out elgato.

If you can avoid using EyeTV4 then do so! It's a huge downgrade from EyeTV 3 and is plagued with problems and missing functionality. 

Edited by Chris M

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

If you can avoid using EyeTV4 then do so! It's a huge downgrade from EyeTV 3 and is plagued with problems and missing functionality. 

I think I will. As long as my old machine keeps running... I don't have to use EyeTV on my newer MacBook. I tried contacting Geniatech, but haven't heard back (and don't really expect to). Some companies seem to have no business being in the business they're in.

EyeTV3 is 32-bit software, and will not run on a MacOS past Mojave (10.14). In particular, it will not run on Catalina (10.15) onwards. This is a issue caused by Apple no longer providing any mechanism for 32-bit software to run on Catalina onwards. So you have to use EyeTV4, which is 64-bit software. But what I don't know is whether it supports old hardware, like my Nova-T stick.