tvparty2nite

EyeTV 3 and 4 not loading OTA program guide info

As of a day or so ago, EyeTV 3 stopped loading Program Guide information for my postal code. First, all channels went blank. I tried to refresh it, but then it never stops "Downloading", but no listings appear, all channel program listings remain blank. (Live channel tuning through my HDHomeRun works fine.) Eventually macOS reports Application Not Responding and I have to Force Quit. I tried resetting the EPG database, so EyeTV 3 then asked me to set it up from scratch, but then it hangs when it tries to retrieve available listings for my postal code (ZIP code).

Before this started happening the other day, this setup worked great for many years.

So on a different Mac I tried EyeTV 4, which I have but don’t yet using daily because of its shortcomings. It can show the listings from my postal code, but OTA Broadcast is no longer an option, it lists paid services like dish/satellite and YouTube TV. And some of those are listed twice. So OTA listings are inaccessible there too.

Is anyone else seeing this failure of OTA program guide info, and odd duplicates in the choices for listings services? 

• Like 2

I'm having the same problem. EyeTV 4 (4.0.0 (8526)) on a 2018 Mac Mini, OS 10.15.7. Exact same situation as tvparty2night outlined above. Tuning works fine, no channels and no programming listed in Program Guide, no OTA Broadcast option available. EPG subscription up to date. Can still watch channels listed in the "All Channels" panel. Just started today.

Geniatech, what's going on? I know many others are having this same issue.

More info:

I tried to let it go ahead and list the first choice, AFN Satellite. But it just kicks me back into the All Channels view with all channels still set to ATSC/Open Cable, not the EyeTV Premium EPG NA I need.

I also look in the EyeTV Store wondering if they had discontinued it, but EyeTV Premium EPG NA is still for sale. From that I conclude that it is still expected to work. But it is not working, and I suspect a server-side issue.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue. I don't use EyeTV 4 because it won't work on my Mac. So, I only have access to EyeTV 3, and the EPG is not functioning as of yesterday.

Exact same problem here, EyeTV 3 (western Canada).
My guide account hasn't expired, and downloading data runs forever without updating any program info.
Then EyeTV becomes unresponsive requiring a force quit.

Same problem here. Postal code 87106. EyeTVEPGPremium service paid until 2022. MacOS 10.4.6. EyeTV 3.

Tried to clear the EPG database  in diagnostics but the EyeTV application hangs and does not complete the task.

Edited by TBinNM

Same. 3 days and counting. Here we go again...

Also EyeTV3 with a current subscription.

I've opened a help ticket, but no reply so far.

When manually clicking the Update Now button for the Program Guide (Preferences > Guide > 3rd button down), it would claim to update, but nothing changed or actually loaded.

After I cleared the EPG Database cache via the EYETVEPGPremium Diagnostics (through the Help menu), that changed the message to "Update failed due to server error"

This is beyond our control/doing. Don't change your configurations!

Please file a complaint on this forum and on their website https://www.geniatech.eu/support-contact/?Product=eyetv 3 to get some attention on it.

EyeTV EPG error.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, geedee said:

Same. 3 days and counting. Here we go again...This is beyond our control/doing. Don't change your configurations!

Yes, it looks like when the program guide service was broken a couple years ago.

I agree that it looks like a server side issue and not anything we can fix ourselves.

I will also submit a support request, but I am not optimistic since other threads have noted a lack of response from support on other issues.

I hope we get what we paid for, since as I noted earlier, North American guide updates are still being sold on their site and so they must be supported.

• Like 1

I could not edit the post again so I am adding new post with MacOS version correction!

Same problem here. Postal code 87106. EyeTVEPGPremium service paid until 2022. MacOS 10.14.6. EyeTV 3.

Tried to clear the EPG database  in diagnostics but the EyeTV application hangs and does not complete the task.

25 minutes ago, prettyfinch said:

could the server have been a victim of the current ransomware attack?

Someone in our family asked me that and usually I think that’s reaching, but in this particular case, the timing seems to line up so I would believe it…but if so, chances are Geniatech would be waiting on some third party cloud provider to restore the server.

add me to the list of those that lost Premium EPG NA Active until May 2022 since I just recently renewed Will also file a support request I also wondered if it could be due to the ransomeware attack based on the timing

Ransomware occurred to me, also. However, I talked myself out of it. Doesn't it load a week or two of programming? If so, wouldn't the issue have begun a week or two prior? Just speculating...

I did receive an email from support this AM stating that they are working on it, and she asked my zip code.

No offense to those of you posting your zip codes, but I didn't see zips as significant since it's a server issue. Apparently I was mistaken...

On Saturday July 3 I emailed Angela Xu who was my email contact the last time this occurred.  From the reply, asking for all of the information about my system and version I assumed she had no idea. After reading all of the above, I resent my email to her, linking their own forum to show this is not me.  Same deal as the last major outage that lasted about 6 months.

They have never been what I would call forthright about the issues and delays.  I offered to fix the issue last time if they sent the source code as their engineer(s) had been trying to fix it for many months.  The only engineers that could not fix an issue like this would have to be dead or catatonic.  Even after the fix, new server and versions to access it, it no longer provided any details about the programs.

I would have migrated to ETV-4 but the computer I use for this can not update to the required OS to run ETV-4.

On Saturday July 3 I emailed Angela Xu who was my email contact the last time this occurred.  From the reply, asking for all of the information about my system and version I assumed she had no idea. After reading all of the above, I resent my email to her, linking their own forum to show this is not me.  Same deal as the last major outage that lasted about 6 months.

They have never been what I would call forthright about the issues and delays.  I offered to fix the issue last time if they sent the source code as their engineer(s) had been trying to fix it for many months.  The only engineers that could not fix an issue like this would have to be dead or catatonic.  Even after the fix, new server and versions to access it, it no longer provided any details about the programs.

I would have migrated to ETV-4 but the computer I use for this can not update to the required OS to run ETV-4.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:32 AM, BobEyeTV said:

Add me to the list, the EPG no longer updates, newest version (8526). Zip 85750.

And they are back...full program guide has re-appeared ! all the way out till July 19th...

That's great, but as of this moment, they are not working with the ETV-3 build 7528

I guess from your build that you have ETV-4

I'll just wait to see if they get around to with ETV-3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akanter said:

That's great, but as of this moment, they are not working with the ETV-3 build 7528

Yes, what you said, server problem with Program Guide download when using EyeTV 3. Sigh.

13 hours ago, akanter said:

Yes, EyeTV 4.

I received a reply to my support message. Angela says they are working on it.

Crossing my fingers in hope that it will be repaired soon.

• Like 1

Having the same issue as everyone else.  The Program Guide quit working and it will not update the channels.   I hope this isn't the same problem we had a couple of years ago.  It took months to obtain a fix.

I'd like to thank the team for Eyetv 4 [8526].  The editor is a little better but as you know the preview window bar is still out. I've got better stop control of the editor.  I download it and run the program guide update. It took some time for the download to load the guide data. That includes EyeTV 3.6.9  We just need export to be addressed if possible as it keeps most of the fan base stuck in 3.6.9 

A little off topic for EyeTV 3 guide users: Do you actually see the program description in the guide, not actors, names, but an actual description of the show?

For instance, Junkyard Empire: "Andy transforms an old ambulance into a Maryland sportsmobile for a fellow college alumnus, then thinks outside the box to soup up a vehicle for a buddy in blue."  Ever since EyeTV 4 there have been NO show descriptions in my paid for guide? I reported it and of course it took several emails till I think they understood the issue. The response from many many months ago was we are working on it.

EyeTV4 users: Are you all missing the description like me?

Thanks.