tvparty2nite

EyeTV 3 and 4 not loading OTA program guide info

The reply i got from Angela today on the topic reads as follows

Sorry for the inconvenience. It is caused by the server. This issue is solved on eyetv 4 but it will take a week to solve it on eyetv 3.We will inform you when it is fixed.

Kind regards,

Angela

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

• Like 1

The ETV Guide for ETV-3 has never returned to its original format with details of the programs, just cast.  When I brought this to Angela's attention over a year ago, she said to upgrade to ETV-4.  I did not.

1 hour ago, NotInUse said:

Note "Angela" replied with the same "working on it" message back in 2019.. when it took a year to fix

Months? it was like a year before it was fixed.

I looked back into my records. It took 5 months (in 2019) for Geniatech to get a beta of EyeTV 3 out that resolved the problem. I was given 6 months of subscription extension. It was an awful situation as a customer to wait so long for service. At the time, many people moved on to using xmltv to get their TV programing schedules into EyeTV. I held on by using TitanTV searches and sending scheduling remotely -- this is what I am doing now until the server issue is resolved..

17 hours ago, NotInUse said:

It's possible I may be misremembering the year and mc2xml may have failed Oct 1 2019, not 2020 (pandemic makes it hard to be certain).. Even if it was 2019, that's still a good 8+ months, not 5.

Hmm, I don't know what "mc2xml" is.

The beta of EyeTV 3 to fix the problem of no EPG data was released in June 2019 (after the failure in Feb. 2019). The final (7528) was released in July 2019. At the time I had to ask to download the beta to test it and get some semblance of normality in the EPG feed.

Since EyeTV 4 is back to normal, I wonder what is taking so long with EyeTV 3.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:14 PM, BobEyeTV said:

And they are back...full program guide has re-appeared ! all the way out till July 19th...

Not for EyeTV 3.  Unfortunately some computers cannot use EyeTV 4.

Same problem here. And yes, it was in 2019 that the service quit for nearly a year. I kept getting e-mails (Angela Xu sounds familiar) that they were working on the problem, that the new version was in testing, etc. It was all lies. Hard to know what is going on but rather than guess ransomware or the server going down (why wouldn't the company providing the service quickly fix their server?), how about Geniatech is not paying their bills? This is far and away the worst customer service that I have experienced. (OK, Banktivity is up there....) Do not expect this problem to get fixed within six months. Just go to alternate on TV guide services for your area and manually enter the times into the Eye TV software. If there are any alternatives would someone please post it here. By alternatives, I mean alternative software that works with the EyeTV hardware.

1 hour ago, Oscar Ruitt said:

Same problem here. And yes, it was in 2019 that the service quit for nearly a year. I kept getting e-mails (Angela Xu sounds familiar) that they were working on the problem, that the new version was in testing, etc. It was all lies. Hard to know what is going on but rather than guess ransomware or the server going down (why wouldn't the company providing the service quickly fix their server?), how about Geniatech is not paying their bills? This is far and away the worst customer service that I have experienced. (OK, Banktivity is up there....) Do not expect this problem to get fixed within six months. Just go to alternate on TV guide services for your area and manually enter the times into the Eye TV software. If there are any alternatives would someone please post it here. By alternatives, I mean alternative software that works with the EyeTV hardware.

After the EPG failure in February 2019, the beta of EyeTV 3 to fix the problem was released in June 2019. At the time I had to ask to download the beta to test it and get some semblance of normality in the EPG feed.

The final (EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528)) was released in July 2019. July 5, 2019 to be exact--look at the app creation date.

7 hours ago, TBinNM said:

After the EPG failure in February 2019, the beta of EyeTV 3 to fix the problem was released in June 2019. At the time I had to ask to download the beta to test it and get some semblance of normality in the EPG feed.

The final (EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528)) was released in July 2019. July 5, 2019 to be exact--look at the app creation date.

I too went through that long EPG failure, and now I'm kicking myself for not researching alternative guide options.

The problem is, I'm in Canada, and I fear we have even fewer options here. Part of that might be because I use a Mac computer.

I also wonder... does Geniatech even still sell hardware for the North American market? Or are we just hanging onto our old Elgato hardware and hoping for a little more use?

And again, I'm speaking mostly from a Canadian perspective, and a Mac perspective, where the alternatives seem few. Sadly.

• Like 1

It looks like 4.0 update, build 8526 solves the problem - connects to a different EPG server and port and the program guide updates.  But I am running EyeTV 3.x even though I have a license for 4.x.  The EPG in 4.x is broken if you have multiple tuner sources - one for OTA and one for Satellite.  The satellite programs (e.g. 111 or 231) overwrite the OTA channel programming (e.g. 11-1 or 23-1).

To fill in the gaps, I was using a version of XMLTV I modified to work better with EyeTV, but XMLTV broke - looks like TV Guide pulled the rug out from under it.  The problem with using the OTA program feed, besides it is deficient, is that you have to tune to that channel any time you want it updated and it is a very short guide window.

I'm having same issues with 3.6.9.  After the last EPG foulup, it's been working well until now.  I'm encouraged that v4 may be fixed, but hoping not to have to repurchase software to fix a bug.  Interestingly, Geniatech's store only seems to sell v3, not v4.  Here's hoping they release a fix for the rest of us soon. 

I have both 3 & 4 on the same computer, I updated 4 to the latest version and was able to download the guide.  Going back to 3 the guide was there and working properly, don't know if it will update later, but if not at least I have a workaround.

9 hours ago, Duaner said:

I have both 3 & 4 on the same computer, I updated 4 to the latest version and was able to download the guide.  Going back to 3 the guide was there and working properly, don't know if it will update later, but if not at least I have a workaround.

I used this as well and it worked! Great for those of us that have both versions. Do NOT want to use version 4 for anything until I migrate to a 64 bit MacOS which I am still resisting since EyeTV4 is so bad. Just need to use EyeTV4 to refresh my guide once a week until version 3 gets an update, which will likely take months

21 hours ago, EricL said:

I used this as well and it worked! Great for those of us that have both versions. Do NOT want to use version 4 for anything until I migrate to a 64 bit MacOS which I am still resisting since EyeTV4 is so bad. Just need to use EyeTV4 to refresh my guide once a week until version 3 gets an update, which will likely take months

So EyeTV 4 can be installed and used on a Mac (Mojave) running EyeTV 3 without the two conflicting  -- garbling each other's configuration files, etc. -- and with a default installation?

Edited by starliner

16 minutes ago, starliner said:

So EyeTV 4 can be installed and used on a Mac (Mojave) running EyeTV 3 without the two conflicting  -- garbling each other's configuration files, etc. -- and with a default installation?

Yes, I just set up 2 Macs this way.  Once you run the setup, they share everything you’d want.  Just remember to go into the EyeTV 4 installation periodically to update the guide.

Edited by Rick Evarts
Left out version #

16 minutes ago, LevanahT said:

Does the updated guide include program descriptions? They've been missing ever since the EPG snafu a couple of years ago...

I am looking for an answer to this as well, descriptions are maybe one of the most important pieces of guide information and it even shows descriptions in their (geniatech advertising/web pages) screen shots of the guides!

3 hours ago, LevanahT said:

Does the updated guide include program descriptions? They've been missing ever since the EPG snafu a couple of years ago...

There is no updated guide. The guide is the same as it has been for the last 2 years. No "program descriptions" other than title and stars. The only update is to the eyetv 4 software so it actually finds the server to download the same program guide. 

I have a MacBook Pro M1 with EyeTV 4 on it.  I do not like the new program however the program guide works.  My preferred Mac for EyeTV is my old iMac 27 inch running High Sierra and EyeTV3.   I like EyeTV3 so much better and the MacBook isn't always set up since it is portable.  Can I download EyeTV4 to the iMac?  Will it cause problems?  

11 minutes ago, pdhill77 said:

I have a MacBook Pro M1 with EyeTV 4 on it.  I do not like the new program however the program guide works.  My preferred Mac for EyeTV is my old iMac 27 inch running High Sierra and EyeTV3.   I like EyeTV3 so much better and the MacBook isn't always set up since it is portable.  Can I download EyeTV4 to the iMac?  Will it cause problems?  

You need Mojave to run EyeTV 4.  Can your iMac run Mojave?  If so, and you upgrade to it, you can run both versions of EyeTV on your iMac - see previous posts.

If the guide comes back for EyeTV 3, I hope someone mentions it here .... my subscription term just expired, so won't know to renew otherwise.

Wonder how many customers (who might not check here) they shake off each time service goes out for weeks/months at a time.  Wonder how many are left!

Edited by starliner
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, starliner said:

If the guide comes back for EyeTV 3, I hope someone mentions it here .... my subscription term just expired, so won't know to renew otherwise.

Wonder how many customers (who might not check here) they shake off each time service goes out for weeks/months at a time.  Wonder how many are left!

Oh, yes. We will let the forum know if we get the Premium Guide data back for EyeTV 3. I am getting impatient, but still understand that a company with few developers (such as Geniatech) do have a hard time. And they may be on their last legs as a company, who knows?