tvparty2nite

EyeTV 3 and 4 not loading OTA program guide info

I RECEIVED THIS RESPONSE FROM GENIATECH. I TOLD HER I WANTED THE TIME EXTENSION.  STILL NO EPG AS OF AUGUST 22.

"We are sorry to inform you that there are technical problems with the server and we apologize for the inconvenience.

We can offer you an extension of the term according to the duration of the problem or a partial refund of the invoice amount. Please let us know what you have chosen.

Thanks & Greetings from Aachen /Gruß aus Aachen/DE 

Sabine Schroer /GTE 

Follow us at Facebook

Geniatech Direct Sales Team. 

Geniatech Europe GmbH (EMEA HQ)

Kaiserstrasse 100 (TPH 1)

52134 Herzogenrath 

Phone:                  0049-2407- 55290-80

Fax:                        0049-2407- 55290-89

HRB Düren: 7197 

Steuernummer: 202/5771/2257

Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß § 27a Umsatzsteuergesetz:                    DE304695446

WEEE-Registrierungsnummer:      DE 22625189"

• Like 1

Messaged Geniatech through their Facebook page and they responded in German.  What did they say?

"Hallo, danke fur deine Kontaktaufnahme.  Wir haben deine Nachricht erhalten and freuen uns, dass du uns kontaktiert hast."

On 8/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, TBinNM said:

I had fun with Terminal.app yesterday! I got XMLTV Listings downloading auto-magicly once per day.

Mojave, EyeTV 3, iMac 5k Retina.

I used the guide at XMLTV Listings website:

https://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

I tried to use the guide but when I downloaded the xml data and confirmed the channel lists were identical I only got 1 channel to show up in the guide out of 79. Any thoughts? Should I not try and modify the channel list?  i did notice the website and Eye TV had different lists of channels for my cable provider. So i ended up modifying the xmltv to what i wanted and then the EyeTV list to remove extras and line up to the xmltv source. Did not appear to work however.

Also under the guide on step 0.2.3 third step it references saving as a NEW channel lineup but i am unclear how to do that. Looked at both EyeTV3 and EyeTV4 interfaces and could not figure that bit out.

UPDATE : Deleting the unused channels not just unchecking them, resolved the issue. BIG thanks to WisconsinEric for publishing the guide and all those who contributed to it. I know have my TV listings and it costs me $20 a year, less then TV Guide and I can control it without relying on GeniaTech. I suppose I should ask for my credit now since they seem to not care at all about fixing the problem.

Edited by EricL
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, EricL said:

Also under the guide on step 0.2.3 third step it references saving as a NEW channel lineup but i am unclear how to do that. Looked at both EyeTV3 and EyeTV4 interfaces and could not figure that bit out.

Glad things worked out for you.

I also had trouble finding what guide meant for this step. In case anyone else has trouble: the required save command is in the channels window, at bottom of page next to "Service".

10 hours ago, pdhill77 said:

Anyone heard anything new from Geniatech?

Zip, nada, zed, zero, nothing.

I entered an official request from their website last week (or maybe the week before), bupkis.

They will delete this like they have done to me before... 

I think they are in severe financial trouble and simply can not pay their vendors, like TV Guide.

There is no such thing as a server problem that takes months to fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alanK said:

They will delete this like they have done to me before... 

I think they are in severe financial trouble and simply can not pay their vendors, like TV Guide.

There is no such thing as a server problem that takes months to fix.

I agree with you, alanK. However they contract for the EPG data or socket/pipeline, they cannot/will not pay the supplier. All the last EPG outages have been during the same months: July and August. Perhaps due to fiscal year? 

I believe that EyeTV is abandonware at this point, though I hope not. Please prove me wrong, Geniatech.

16 hours ago, pdhill77 said:

Sorry but in 2019 the guide went down in February and wasn’t restored until July 

I misremembered Geniatech's ineptitude.

You are right! That was the year that the service went down during Chinese New Year holidays.

Geniatech  PLEASE RESPOND When will the TV Guide be back working.

No more excuses.  All of us here on the forum know it's bullshit.  Be honest and tell us what is going on.

Everyone here really needs to know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alanK said:

Geniatech  PLEASE RESPOND When will the TV Guide be back working.

No more excuses.  All of us here on the forum know it's bullshit.  Be honest and tell us what is going on.

Everyone here really needs to know.

I urge everyone to cut the cord with them and follow the instructions for downloading your own listings data from a subscription service that is cheaper than Genia Techs!! Links can be re-posted if needed but they have already been posted above by others. I tried them, they work! And I am not going back

• Like 1

I agree they don't have good customer service!  Understatement.  However their product works best for me.  Waited previously 6 months for a resolution.  They need to be informing us what is going on.  EyeTV Guide is still for sale on site.  I am very tired of looking at the cable listings and programming EyeTV like a VCR

I think I know where all the money is going.  I just saw at the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas that Geniatech is one of the many companies developing set top convertor boxes for ATSC-3 now being called Next Gen TV. 

I intend to contact the people I used to work with at both the FCC and FTC.  I am a consulting engineer with a law degree.  I may be able to show they do not deserve certification (required to sell these devices) since they have basically done a one sided cancellation of their "contract" to supply existing users with the pre-paid service(s) ie. the guide.

• Like 1

Any news so far?  

I purchased an original EyeTV HD three weeks ago on May 21, 2023.  No one has responded to my many emails or submitted tech support forms in weeks now.  I even tried calling the number in China but recording is all in Chinese, and even called a Geniatech press agent in Germany but so far no luck.

I have iMacs running macOS Snow Leopard 10.6 (with EyeTV v3.5.3 installed) and High Sierra 10.13 (with EyeTV v3.6.9 installed) yet cannot get any program guide to work (either subscription or direct from my connected cable box which already comes with one) with v.3 on either.  Furthermore, I can’t even set up the cable box to get the included IR blaster to work.  I have to make all my recordings manually which means I have to be there to turn on the cable box and/or change channels which defeats the purpose.

The v3.5.3 activation key that came with the product is 67QLW-U5SNYVG-RXP3CT3-J6BVDP4 as shown in the image above but does not work for 4.0.  I read that those who purchased EyeTV after 2019 can get a free activation key for EyeTV v4, although it is far inferior to v3.  How do I get an activation key for 4.0 to use with macOS 12 Monterey?    I paid for an item I can barely use now and am very disappointed by the lack of any support or concern from Geniatech, and have read many other accounts of poor or zero customer service on this forum.

With tech support on v3 with Snow Leopard or High Sierra or v4 on Monterey I would have no problem using the software, but why does Geniatech refuse to support or even respond to their customers?

• Confused 1

This company (Geniatech) is just a bogus waste of money at this point.  Most of us have been without our prepaid guide for over a year.  The consensus is that they don't have the money to pay for the guide data.  Too bad you did not look into the forum before spending money on this.

I have (as a consulting engineer for the US's FCC) put a block on Geniatech's ability to market their pending ATSC3 set top convertor box.  They have never responded to ANY OWNER's issues in over 18 months.

First, thanks so much for the response!  I have been desperately searching for help for three weeks now.

How can Geniatech get by with this and still claim to be operating and supporting their hardware??  Why is there no press release or tech support notes indicating that the program guide doesn't work any longer and will not be supported.  I just now paid for v4.0 thinking that would help but still no guide, so looks like I'm throwing good money after bad. 😡

QUESTIONS:

1) Is there any workaround or third party program guide that can work with EyeTV software?

2) Can't EyeTV HD access the attached cable box's program guide without a third party guide subscription since it has a hardwired connection to the box via component video and I already have a paid subscription with my cable company?

3) If no to the above two questions, then is there a way to get the IR blaster that came with the device to work so I can manually schedule recordings even if the program guide doesn't show up in EyeTV?   For instance, if I know a program is on a certain channel at a certain time using my own guide I can schedule them all manually (not using any EyeTV program guide) and then the IR blaster will turn and and off the box and switch channels for each scheduled recording.

4) If so to #3 above, how the heck do I set up the IR blaster to work?  I have successfully recorded scheduled programs which will work only if I leave the box on and manually switch it to the proper channel before each recording, but I cannot due that when I'm not around or available.

5) And finally, if no one is using EyeTV devices or software anymore (regardless of hardware or EyeTV version or macOS version) what are you all using?  Are you simply renting a DVR from your cable company and paying the monthly box rental and DVR service fee?  Mine went bad last month and I turned it in for a regular HD receiver hoping I could use this as a solution for no monthly fee.  And in theory I absolutely should be able to and it is the solution I needed.  I don't know anything better or similar that definitely works on Mac.

Edited by SWLinPHX

On 8/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, TBinNM said:

Glad things worked out for you.

I also had trouble finding what guide meant for this step. In case anyone else has trouble: the required save command is in the channels window, at bottom of page next to "Service".

I am stuck on step 0.2.3 Drag the downloaded EPG file (step 0.2.1) onto the EyeTV icon to load the EPG. You won't see it in program listings until you go to the EyeTV Channels window and do these 3 things:

First, mark as active (checkbox) exactly the same channels you specified for your xmltvlistings channel lineup.

Nothing really happened when I dragged the downloaded EPG XML file on the EyeTV icon (in Dock or Finder). I tried it both with EyeTV running and not running, but I have nothing showing in my Channels or Program Guide tabs.  Am I supposed to click the little cog wheel and choose an option?  Can someone help me past this step?