fernelius

eyeconnect.log Behemoth

My Mac mini has been struggling to operate, and I noticed the 2 TB system SSD had filled.  It should have been about half empty.  I took a significant amount of time to find the file that had grown too large to find the eyeconnect.log file in /Library/Logs had grown to well over 800 GB in size.  Deleting the file resolved my Mac's problems as expected.  Geniatech really needs to look into this and other issues that make the program practically unusable.  I've taken both EyeTV and the EyeTV Helper apps out of my startup items and am about ready to delete the programs entirely.  They're a menace to the entire system!

How long did it take to build that log?  Just looking at my installation there is no "eyeconnect.log" are you sure that EyeTV is the source of the log file.  Did you find it in /Users/<username>/Library/Logs?

Mine grew up to 800 Gb in a matter of a couple of hours.

What's weird is that this file appears not only using EyeTV4 (last version), but also HDHomeRun (I have a homerun 2tuners device).

I am sure that sharing from EyeTV4 is OFF. In addition, activity monitor does not show any eyeconnect program running.

This happens on an iMac M1. It does not happen on my old, intel iMac.

PS: the log file appears under /Library/Logs (not in the home folder, the main one)

This has actually happened more than once -- for me on an Intel Mac Mini.  I check it occasionally.  It looks like it's generally fine but then suddenly balloons to take up essentially all hard drive space available.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:11 PM, RickB said:

How long did it take to build that log?  Just looking at my installation there is no "eyeconnect.log" are you sure that EyeTV is the source of the log file.  Did you find it in /Users/<username>/Library/Logs?

It's actually in /Library/Logs (from root).  To view the file, you could use vi or head from the command line (among many others).  BBEdit might be able to view.  When the file is that large, though, it leaves practically no space for the swap file on the system making the system very, very slow.  It's usually forcing the user to force quit applications to allocate memory.  In that EyeConnect is their server task, I have little doubt that it's theirs.

I changed permissions to eyeconnect.log in /Library/Logs to make it unmodifiable. First time didn't work (the file was re-created).

I tried with more stringent permissions, I need to check if it works. In the meanwhile I updated from big sur to Monterey, I have yet to check if the problem persists (since Monterey has a new batch of bugs...)

I changed permissions to eyeconnect.log in /Library/Logs to make it unmodifiable. First time didn't work (the file was re-created).

I tried with more stringent permissions, I need to check if it works. In the meanwhile I updated from big sur to Monterey, I have yet to check if the problem persists (since Monterey has a new batch of bugs...)

This happens on an iMac-M1. Everything is fine on my old iMaC 5k retina.

Edited by cala.vera